Cool thing from Rodney Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cool thing from Rodney Purvis

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If KO had said "I have a late model Camry in the garage" people would have been much more appreciative of Rodney.
I appreciate him more now than I did a year ago.

I mistakenly attributed his flat footed, ball-stopping chucking and ill conceived forays to the hoop with no apparent plan to his own lack of discipline and low b-ball IQ.

Turns out he was just running Ollie's offense as designed.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm old but I don't get why people go so crazy for the 11s. Nothing beats the 3s to me.

Rodney's a great kid.

Now you’re sparking something.

Both classics, if 11s didn’t get so over saturated they were my all time favs.

Not much beats the original concords on Jordan then AI at Georgetown.

3s have 3 of my favorite Jordan’s though, including true blues which I wore in practice my frosh college season bc we had to wear adidas.

They’re up there.

Reaction Score
Patent leather. Bred 11s are the pinnacle.

Concords for me. Probably an age based preference. I grew up with an MJ poster in my room wearing these beauties and wasn't really aware of the 3's until I got more into shoe collecting during my early 20s.

Great kid. one of the more depressing things about the last couple years was Rodney not realizing his potential here. If anyone deserved it, he did.

Rodney himself acknowledging that his performance in college was disappointing gave me the feels.

If KO had said "I have a late model Camry in the garage" people would have been much more appreciative of Rodney.

Calhoun also said we would be lucky to have Rodney for one year in the annual Middlesex address, I believe .A lot to live up to.

Reaction Score
Last year he shot 37% from the field and 34% from 3 but he had some real tough spells. With a great point guard those numbers would have been better I think. Remember him catching the ball or stepping with it out of bounds? good times.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
KO has been accused of favoritism. Or being harder on some players than he was on others. Guys like Purvis seemed to be on the good side of that. Purvis’ string was insanely long compared to other guys a la Sam Cassell Jr, or Juwan Durham. Those would get pulled for a turnover, while Rodney could step out of bounds 3 times in a row and not catch flack. It’s why KO is so polarizing with his players. They either lover him or hate him. Purvis has no reason to not like him

Of course Tenspro likes this.

You’re talking about benching a freshman and first year transfer vs. benching a redshirt senior. Calhoun did the same thing and it wasn’t called favoritism.

Reaction Score
Those who own Ferrari’s only drive them in the spring and being that Rodney killed it at the end of the seasons he really was just that. Unfortunately he was also that same car in storage up until the weather was agreeable.

Reaction Score
Might it be possible that Ollie tends to favor his hardest working players? Maybe Cassell and Durham didn't fall into that category?

These kids signed up to play at a school a couple years removed from a natty. Playing major CBB is no picnic. You're expected to practice and improve your game. Purvis fit that description. He improved and worked hard during his career in Storrs. Maybe Cassell, Durham and some others should have followed Rodney's lead.

I don't think Rodney really improved much at UConn. Other than a big improvement in free through %, he was pretty much the same player throughout. Am I misremembering?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Drove me nuts at times, but loved his heart and love for UConn.

He is the kind of player any school would love to have.

Reaction Score
Purvis is the dude. Love to see former players feel this way about their time in Storrs. The people who still attack him on twitter about stepping out of bounds or traveling are losers.
But that is what Rodney did at UConn, step out of bounds and travel, and also miss easy shots. When I think of Rodney Purvis playing basketball at UConn, this is what I think about because he did it so often. I'm sure he is a great guy.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But that is what Rodney did at UConn, step out of bounds and travel, and also miss easy shots. When I think of Rodney Purvis playing basketball at UConn, this is what I think about because he did it so often. I'm sure he is a great guy.

You (and many others) exaggerate the degree to which he did each of those things to a ridiculous degree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom