connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting?

connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting?

• boston pizza trash

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • nyc/new haven pizza

Votes: 68 95.8%

• Total voters

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What? There is no Boston Pizza style. I grew up in CT eating what is basically Greek style pizza. Because it dominated CT then and probably does now on volume. Didn’t have NH Neapolitan apizza until college (And not at college as that style doesn’t exist near Storrs).

Did we need another pizza thread?

Reaction Score
Athens pizza was close by in Stamford for greek style. Wasnt bad. Used to go to Pizza Post in Greenwich or once in a blue moon or if I played softball games in Glenville, Glenville Pizza. Went to John the best a few times and Mario the Baker once, remember one of the stars on an early 2000s Trinity Catholic bball team working there and seeing him, Pepe, I think?

Reaction Score
Grew up just outside of NYC - pizza has to be foldable. Couldn't believe how different CT pizza was and people actually use a knife and fork - sacrilegious. Always looked forward to pizza when I went home or into the city, still do.
Sorry Kathy but I have to dislike this. Pizza needs to be thin crust, cooked in 900+ degree ovens with char on the top and leopard spots on the bottom. The perfect blend of crunchy and chewy. New Haven is the only way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry Kathy but I have to dislike this. Pizza needs to be thin crust, cooked in 900+ degree ovens with char on the top and leopard spots on the bottom. The perfect blend of crunchy and chewy. New Haven is the only way.
OK, I'm going to tell you all how to buy and brew coffee, and if you don't agree with me, you're all idiots.

Reaction Score
Nick's is maybe the only family owned Italian pizza place in Stamford that makes a bad pie.

I'll never question anyone's preferences but I never got the attraction of Greek pies (there are a couple in Stamford with huge followings).

I grew up in the Cove (80% of the Cove was at least part Italian) but at some point over the past six decades have been to every pizzeria and Italian restaurant in the area. As I live off Long Ridge these days I normally use the places Kibbe mentioned.

Pepe's (and Shake Shack) in Bull's Head could be dangerous for my waistline.
I’m with you on the Greek pizza thing. People have loved Hope Street Pizza for a long time. I still don’t get it. I grew up in Three Lakes, so it was roughly a 3-minute drive down Long Ridge to John the Baker, whose pizza business will be sucked dry once Frank Pepe opens 300 feet away. Also… the already insane traffic around Bulls Head will be miserable once Pepe’s and Shake Shack open. @storrsroars I’m right behind you on the tuna packed in oil sub/wedge. It was a revelation. I would always go with one of those or a pepper and egg from Luigi’s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m with you on the Greek pizza thing. People have loved Hope Street Pizza for a long time. I still don’t get it. I grew up in Three Lakes, so it was roughly a 3-minute drive down Long Ridge to John the Baker, whose pizza business will be sucked dry once Frank Pepe opens 300 feet away. Also… the already insane traffic around Bulls Head will be miserable once Pepe’s and Shake Shack open. @storrsroars I’m right behind you on the tuna packed in oil sub/wedge. It was a revelation. I would always go with one of those or a pepper and egg from Luigi’s.
When it Pepe's opening? I'm coming back in July for a wedding up in Danbury and at some point I plan on stopping by Fairfield Memorial as all my family is interred there. Although I still have never been to a Shake Shack, so that might happen instead.

Just a note on the "Greek-ish" pizza I grew up with. While the owners were Greek, the pizza had little resemblance to Hope St or Post Corner or the stuff that could be found around Storrs. It was a smaller pizza baked in a black pan with 1.5"-2" sides. It was greasy, but the top was actually cooked thoroughly and not a gloppy, wet mess. There was also a place downtown near where Bobby Vs was that also did that style IIRC. It was closer to a Domino's pan pizza than what's served at Hope St. And Domino's might be the only place left that serves that style.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Strange thread.

The initial vibe was of a drunk post with follow-ups, and it's on a topic where there's already a decade old thread with more than 5,000 posts. And yet, because it's pizza, people are giving it some run. So here's my two cents.

The poll was the only initial clue as to the topic, and the results pretty much bear out that Boston Pizza is really a non-starter.

New York and Connecticut Pizza may have some overlap, but if you drill down some, NYC and New Haven are not the same. I like both, and love New Haven area most, by a healthy margin.

I do like how Stamford represents here, including the tuna wedge shout outs.

Still, a bit puzzling overall. Then again, many of us might be thrown off to not be talking about next Thursday's Sweet 16 match up with Gonzaga, or dissecting a close loss to Arkansas.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It was a stupid basis for a poll, with the grievous sin of lumping together NYC and NH styles, thus deserved a reaction.

No, we didn't really need another pizza thread, but this one took a couple of turns that made it somewhat interesting - the OP was only thinking coal ovens when referring to "NYC pizza", there was a solid Stamford representation which was more about not liking Greek style than comparing Stamford to either NYC or NH, and the tuna detour. None of these things has a place in the original pizza thread.

Now, I could argue that there is a Boston style, although it's almost all in the South Shore burbs - and that's bar/tavern pie a la Colony. It's well-loved up there, with serious arguments about the best (e.g. Lynwood Cafe vs Town Spa vs Montes, et.al.) as passionate as a Sally's vs Pepe's vs Modern debate.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What? There is no Boston Pizza style. I grew up in CT eating what is basically Greek style pizza. Because it dominated CT then and probably does now on volume. Didn’t have NH Neapolitan apizza until college (And not at college as that style doesn’t exist near Storrs).

Did we need another pizza thread?
NO.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Like everyone in CT, I'm going with New Haven. I don't think I've ever had a pizza in either NY or Boston. If I'm in one of those cities, I'm eating at either a gourmet restaurant or some sports venue. Rarely in between

Reaction Score
gimme one pie better than new haven
Umberto's Sicilian pie (their regular pie is really good too) out on Jericho tpke in New Hyde Park Long Island. Not saying it's better or worse, just that it's a banging pie. So good. I love me some Modern in New Haven. My family is from Hamden and I'm a Quinnipiac grad. N e w Haven Pizza is the bomb. Funny enough, I got hooked on Modern because my aunt and grandma never wanted the hassle of getting it from Sally's or Pepes because of the lines and it was easier to park at Modern. Ha.

Reaction Score
When it Pepe's opening? I'm coming back in July for a wedding up in Danbury and at some point I plan on stopping by Fairfield Memorial as all my family is interred there. Although I still have never been to a Shake Shack, so that might happen instead.

Just a note on the "Greek-ish" pizza I grew up with. While the owners were Greek, the pizza had little resemblance to Hope St or Post Corner or the stuff that could be found around Storrs. It was a smaller pizza baked in a black pan with 1.5"-2" sides. It was greasy, but the top was actually cooked thoroughly and not a gloppy, wet mess. There was also a place downtown near where Bobby Vs was that also did that style IIRC. It was closer to a Domino's pan pizza than what's served at Hope St. And Domino's might be the only place left that serves that style.
You might be just missing the Pepe’s opening. Local media says early fall. Not sure about Shake Shack, which will be located next door.

I think the place you’re referring to in Columbus Park a few doors down from the old Bobby V’s is Pappas Pizza. Kind of unique, nothing like Hope or Post Corner. Been there for 60 years and still going. As the population has exploded, so has the number of pizza joints. Bar pies, basic NY style joints, fancy Neapolitan, classic Italian. It’s kind of shocking that all of these places survive.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Boston has pizza?

If anyone knows of a New Haven-style pizza place in the Orlando area, let me know. I love the weather, but the pizza in Florida is this thick crusted slop or some frou frou flatbread stuff covered in arugula.

Good Chinese food is impossible to find, too :(

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You might be just missing the Pepe’s opening. Local media says early fall. Not sure about Shake Shack, which will be located next door.

I think the place you’re referring to in Columbus Park a few doors down from the old Bobby V’s is Pappas Pizza. Kind of unique, nothing like Hope or Post Corner. Been there for 60 years and still going. As the population has exploded, so has the number of pizza joints. Bar pies, basic NY style joints, fancy Neapolitan, classic Italian. It’s kind of shocking that all of these places survive.
Yep, Pappas. Didn't think it was still there. Thank you!

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Boston has pizza?

If anyone knows of a New Haven-style pizza place in the Orlando area, let me know. I love the weather, but the pizza in Florida is this thick crusted slop or some frou frou flatbread stuff covered in arugula.

Good Chinese food is impossible to find, too :(
I understand completely.

Moved from CT five and a half years ago to sunny central Florida. We live in a 55+ community in Poinciana. It's part of Kissimmee. We do have one decent Chinese place across the main drag. Take out only but it works. We do have a real good Hibatchi restaurant about 10 minutes from the house.

Not only pizza but good Italian food is hard to find. We have one pizza place that is decent, not great. Small, family owned operation. And we found a great little Italian restaurant about 20 minutes from us. Again, a small, family owned operation. Love their linguine with red clam sauce.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. New England "greek" style
2. NYC
3. Sicilian
4. Ellio's Pizza Pockets c.1995
5. New Haven

Reaction Score
I wonder if Pepe's going in around by High Ridge will effectively kill off Coal House. I havent been there in years. It was real good when it first opened up, think the owner was a Uconn grad. Havent been there in a long time but the times i've been back home and driven by, never seemed to get the same crowd from the outside.

Reaction Score
Grew up on the Stamford go-to spots of the 70s and 80s…. John the Baker, Luigi’s, and Mario the Baker across the street on High Ridge. Sometimes, Nick’s in Glenbrook.
Mario the Baker holds a special place in my heart. Was my favorite place as a kid and went there a bunch when my sister bought her first home off of High Ridge.

I don’t go there often now, but a few years ago I tried their $20 Sunday brunch, which was actually pretty decent.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Pepe's going in around by High Ridge will effectively kill off Coal House. I havent been there in years. It was real good when it first opened up, think the owner was a Uconn grad. Havent been there in a long time but the times i've been back home and driven by, never seemed to get the same crowd from the outside.
I don’t think so. Coalhouse is more than a place to get a classic pie. The atmosphere isn’t replicated anywhere else and they’ve done a good job advertising their entertainment and special nights. Makes me think, man I gotta get back to a trivia night there soon!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For any beer fans here. Trillium Canton makes a pretty solid Pizza. Char on the crust and all (too much so for my wife).

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. Coalhouse is more than a place to get a classic pie. The atmosphere isn’t replicated anywhere else and they’ve done a good job advertising their entertainment and special nights. Makes me think, man I gotta get back to a trivia night there soon!
Agree with @Hey Adrien! Also, great craft beer and whiskey in the back taproom at Coalhouse. Some people go there just for the beverages.

Reaction Score
For any beer fans here. Trillium Canton makes a pretty solid Pizza. Char on the crust and all (too much so for my wife).
Any intel on the sharp looking pies Treehouse is churning out of the South Deerfield location?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom