connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting? | The Boneyard

connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting?

connecticut ppl. what region did you grow up supporting?

• boston pizza trash

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • nyc/new haven pizza

Votes: 68 95.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
pepe, modern sally, modern and patsy's, angelos, joe's , john's

this aint clam chowder

your boston guy is the most annoying

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
New Haven all day!!! And any Pizza south of the GW bridge is just card and ketchup

Reaction Score
New Haven all day!!! And any Pizza south of the GW bridge is just card and ketchup
i grew up on new haven pizza and jai lai. joes, patsy's, angelo's .

Reaction Score
the mods got in and turned it to pizza
new haven the greatest and nyc the greatest.....boston

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
different but the same
why not? best pizza on the planet. coal oven is coal oven
Just my opinion, but I think when people think of NH pizza, they're thinking of only the big names and coal ovens - and whole pies. Otherwise, there really isn't that much to crow about once you eliminate Wooster St.

When people think of NYC pizza, they're more often thinking deck ovens and floppy, foldable slices.

If I'm going out to dinner in NH, there's more than a 50% chance it'll be for pizza. If I'm going out for dinner in NYC, there's less than a 10% chance it'll be for pizza, although I might grab a couple slices for lunch. I'm far more likely to eat some non-Italian ethnic.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I think when people think of NH pizza, they're thinking of only the big names and coal ovens - and whole pies. Otherwise, there really isn't that much to crow about once you eliminate Wooster St.

When people think of NYC pizza, they're more often thinking deck ovens and floppy, foldable slices.

If I'm going out to dinner in NH, there's more than a 50% chance it'll be for pizza. If I'm going out for dinner in NYC, there's less than a 10% chance it'll be for pizza, although I might grab a couple slices for lunch. I'm far more likely to eat some non-Italian ethnic.

I'm bummed I never made it to Di Fara.

Reaction Score
Grew up on the Stamford go-to spots of the 70s and 80s…. John the Baker, Luigi’s, and Mario the Baker across the street on High Ridge. Sometimes, Nick’s in Glenbrook.

Reaction Score
Roseland in Derby is right up there with the best of them. I know it’s not physically in New Haven, but It’s darn close, and has history of great apizza going back decades.

Reaction Score
Grew up just outside of NYC - pizza has to be foldable. Couldn't believe how different CT pizza was and people actually use a knife and fork - sacrilegious. Always looked forward to pizza when I went home or into the city, still do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Grew up on the Stamford go-to spots of the 70s and 80s…. John the Baker, Luigi’s, and Mario the Baker across the street on High Ridge. Sometimes, Nick’s in Glenbrook.
I liked Nick's pies, but my main memory of them was introducing me to tuna in olive oil. At home, mom only bought tuna in water, and her tuna salad was always too heavy on celery and mayo. At some point in HS, I went into Nick's for a tuna wedge and they actually simply opened a can of tuna in olive oil and dumped it on the bread before putting lettuce, tomato and cheese on it. It was an epiphany.

I grew up on John's pizza in Springdale, which served pan pies that were quasi-Greek. Glenbrook pizza did the same thing. No to-go boxes, they were put between two Chinet-like cardboard plates and a put in a brown bag. There were five of us before my dad passed, so it was order five, get sixth free. Once in awhile we did Amore which was more traditional Italian. Once I got my drivers license I used to pick up pizzas on West Broad - Pelicci's, Open Door, Brass Rail (you had to finish baking Brass Rail at home). Then once I turned 18 (drinking age then) I basically lived at Colony.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I liked Nick's pies, but my main memory of them was introducing me to tuna in olive oil. At home, mom only bought tuna in water, and her tuna salad was always too heavy on celery and mayo. At some point in HS, I went into Nick's for a tuna wedge and they actually simply opened a can of tuna in olive oil and dumped it on the bread before putting lettuce, tomato and cheese on it. It was an epiphany.

I grew up on John's pizza in Springdale, which served pan pies that were quasi-Greek. Glenbrook pizza did the same thing. No to-go boxes, they were put between two Chinet-like cardboard plates and a put in a brown bag. There were five of us before my dad passed, so it was order five, get sixth free. Once in awhile we did Amore which was more traditional Italian. Once I got my drivers license I used to pick up pizzas on West Broad - Pelicci's, Open Door, Brass Rail (you had to finish baking Brass Rail at home). Then once I turned 18 (drinking age then) I basically lived at Colony.
Nick's is maybe the only family owned Italian pizza place in Stamford that makes a bad pie.

I'll never question anyone's preferences but I never got the attraction of Greek pies (there are a couple in Stamford with huge followings).

I grew up in the Cove (80% of the Cove was at least part Italian) but at some point over the past six decades have been to every pizzeria and Italian restaurant in the area. As I live off Long Ridge these days I normally use the places Kibbe mentioned.

Pepe's (and Shake Shack) in Bull's Head could be dangerous for my waistline.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Nick's is maybe the only family owned Italian pizza place in Stamford that makes a bad pie.

I'll never question anyone's preferences but I never got the attraction of Greek pies (there are a couple in Stamford with huge followings).

I grew up in the Cove (80% of the Cove was at least part Italian) but at some point over the past six decades have been to every pizzeria and Italian restaurant in the area. As I live off Long Ridge these days I normally use the places Kibbe mentioned.

Hey man get a couple beers beforehand Greek pie tastes pretty good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Different era. I'm talking growing up in the 60s-early 70s when I mention the pan pies. There were only two pizza places in Springdale, two in Glenbook and one in Belltown. You ate what your parents bought, or what you could walk/bike to easily. Back then the only decent "traditional" pizza with bubbly crust and char was on the West Side. I'd only been to Nick's less than a half dozen times as it was where my older brother would go. At the time it was different than what I was used to. I moved on to much better over the 50 years since.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Different era. I'm talking growing up in the 60s-early 70s when I mention the pan pies. There were only two pizza places in Springdale, two in Glenbook and one in Belltown. You ate what your parents bought, or what you could walk/bike to easily. Back then the only decent "traditional" pizza with bubbly crust and char was on the West Side. I'd only been to Nick's less than a half dozen times as it was where my older brother would go. At the time it was different than what I was used to. I moved on to much better over the 50 years since.
Fair enough. My first trip to Nick's was in the early 1990's (newly married at the time and my now ex and I had just moved from the apartment we had in Springdale for a few years) and I had expected it to be as good as the other mom & pop Italian restaurants in Stamford.

I still don't understand how their pie wasn't good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom