Congrats to Providence | The Boneyard

Congrats to Providence

Reaction Score
I guess technically due to the unbalanced schedule nova and pc* are tied at the present time. nova is 0 games back. so it all comes down to nova @butler.

Villanova benefitted similarly last year. They were 11-4, Creighton was 14-6.

The espn 2021 standings showed Creighton 0.5 games behind Nova when Creighton was actually 0.5 games ahead of Nova. Then it shows UCONN 1.0 games behind Nova at 11-6 which is correct. UCONN was actually 1.5 behind Creighton at 14-6.

This site had it correct.

Big East Conference Standings - RealGM

Find a complete listing of all the Big East Conference basketball teams, on RealGM.com
basketball.realgm.com

Reaction Score
Villanova benefitted similarly last year. They were 11-4, Creighton was 14-6.
I had almost forgotten about that. Nova should have had a bigger asterisk last year than PC does this year. We would have also had a shot at catching them.

Reaction Score
Why not UConn - Prov Monday March 7?

Why is UConn ducking Providence?
Makes a ton of sense. The only drawback (maybe?) is if it were to have tiebreaker implications at the 5-6 seed cutoff, so a team ends up having to make a last minute change to its travel plans if it suddenly has to play Weds.

Reaction Score
You're aware it's just a math thing though, right? There's nothing "wrong" with any particular day where both teams aren't playing except that it would exceed the arbitrary number of games per span of days the Big East set.

Reaction Score
Good for Providence. New England is ready for 2 teams.

Its kinda lonely at the top, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm happy for them I guess?

I don't hate them as much as some on this board...I don't root for them, but I don't root against them either. The word we're looking for here is "indifference."

They were bound to have a season where all the bounces went their way eventually.

Congratulations are in order to the players, Ed Cooley (who is a likeable guy), and even obnoxious Providence fans...but don't let it go to your head. We're now entering the part of the season where that amazing ride can come to a sudden stop.

Reaction Score
I don't really care about Big East regular season titles. I don't really care much about BET titles, tbh... other than getting to more games in MSG is amazing. It hardly registers as more than a regular season game to me.

To me, NCAA tournament is the end all, be all of the season. I'd rather get to a sweet-16 than win the BET 10/10 times.

I know I'm probably in the minority for that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't really care about Big East regular season titles. I don't really care much about BET titles, tbh... other than getting to more games in MSG is amazing. It hardly registers as more than a regular season game to me.

To me, NCAA tournament is the end all, be all of the season. I'd rather get to a sweet-16 than win the BET 10/10 times.

Except that BET title is, in UConn’s case at least, a predictor of a deep NCAA run coming . We’ve never won a BET and not gone to at least sweet 16 , and that was only once the rest have been more.

1990, E8
1996, s16
1998, E8
1999, NC
2002, E8
2004, NC
2011, NC

In that lens I consider the BET more important :)

Reaction Score
Except that BET title is, in UConn’s case at least, a predictor of a deep NCAA run coming . We’ve never won a BET and not gone to at least sweet 16 , and that was only once the rest have been more.

1990, E8
1996, s16
1998, E8
1999, NC
2002, E8
2004, NC
2011, NC

In that lens I consider the BET more important :)
Exactly. And that's why you'll see Ed Cooley remember that he's Ed Cooley on that Saturday morning bus ride back to Providence.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

I think this is generally true for most of college basketball. Even if ppl in the moment feel like the conference honors are huge, in retrospect with the way the tourney is now, the season ends up being deemed a success or failure based on the run you make.

UCLA’s regular season last year was very close to being NIT-worthy. Now, pretty much everyone views that season as a massive success for them and Cronin has tons of job security.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think this is generally true for most of college basketball. Even if ppl in the moment feel like the conference honors are huge, in retrospect with the way the tourney is now, the season ends up being deemed a success or failure based on the run you make.

UCLA’s regular season last year was very close to being NIT-worthy. Now, pretty much everyone views that season as a massive success for them and Cronin has tons of job security.
Yes but to a great extent that depends on the school. PC did something positive this season that they have never done before (win the regular season title). That coupled with for example going 1-1 in both the BET and the NCAA tournament would likely make this a far better season in their fans eyes than how a fan from a school with a stronger history would view things.

Reaction Score

You may be right from a fan standpoint, but to the players/team the BET Title is huge and I am sure one of their goals. Its a claim to be proud of and a trophy/hat/ring are memorabilia that the team and players will display forever. These belong to UConn and we need to reclaim the top status.

National Championships are the ultimate goal (for us), but I really want to win the BET this year. To me, until we win it, we have not arrived.

Reaction Score
It's rare that a team is hated not because of their coach or players but their fans. That's most UConn fans' issues with PC. Their fans are delusional and act like they're God's Gift despite minimal success. This was even going back to last year when they thought they were going to be better than us and David Duke was a Top-10 pick (neither was remotely true). Cooley and his players are very likable and respected -- they do things the right way and play hard. They don't deserve the terrible fans they have.

Reaction Score

The college basketball season, and life, is too short not to enjoy all the chapters along the way: OOC games, OOC Tourneys, BE Regular Season, BET and NCAAs.

Sure, NCAAs are the memory measuring stick but it really ALL is fun along the way. Especially when the team is good...!!

Reaction Score
It's rare that a team is hated not because of their coach or players but their fans. That's most UConn fans' issues with PC. Their fans are delusional and act like they're God's Gift despite minimal success. This was even going back to last year when they thought they were going to be better than us and David Duke was a Top-10 pick (neither was remotely true). Cooley and his players are very likable and respected -- they do things the right way and play hard. They don't deserve the terrible fans they have.
More like Shammgod's Gift, am I right?!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom