ACC:
Player of the Year: Olivia Miles, Notre Dame
Coach of the Year: Kara Lawson, Duke
Freshman of the Year: Taniya Latson, Florida State

Big East:
Player of the Year: Maddy Siegrist, Villanova
Coach of the Year: Geno Auriemma, UCONN
Freshman of the Year: ??

Big question mark for me is if SEC goes Reese or Boston. Reese averages close to double points/rebounds but was soundly outplayed by Boston in their matchup, and Boston by all accounts is a much better player despite having low numbers.

Side note--Big Ten is absolutely loaded with talent this year. Players like Holmes/Miller have a strong case for CPOY if they didn't play with Clark.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I agree McMahon is getting it in the B10, and the all freshmen team is loaded:

McMahon (OSU)
Serah Williams (Wisconsin)
Kaylene Smikle, RU
Yarden Garzon, IND
Mara Braun, MINN

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
SEC:
Player of the Year: Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Coach of the Year: Dawn Staley, South Carolina
Freshman of the Year: Flaujae Johnson, LSU

Pac-12:
Player of the Year: Alissa Pili, Utah
Coach of the Year: Lynne Roberts, Utah
Freshman of the Year: Raegan Beers, Oregon State

Big 12:
Player of the Year: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Coach of the Year: Jennie Baranczyk, Oklahoma

B1G:
Player of the Year: Caitlin Clark, Iowa
Coach of the Year: Teri Moren, Indiana
Freshman of the Year: Cotie McMahon, Ohio State

ACC:

Big East:

Big question mark for me is if SEC goes Reese or Boston. Reese averages close to double points/rebounds but was soundly outplayed by Boston in their matchup, and Boston by all accounts is a much better player despite having low numbers.

Side note--Big Ten is absolutely loaded with talent this year. Players like Holmes/Miller have a strong case for CPOY if they didn't play with Clark.
POY should be based on overall body of work, not just one game.

Angel‘s numbers speak for themselves; Four 20/20 games in conference play(5 overall) is astounding, all respect to Boston….but Reese is SEC POY. Period.

Reaction Score
POY should be based on overall body of work, not just one game.

Angel‘s numbers speak for themselves; Four 20/20 games in conference play(5 overall) is astounding, all respect to Boston….but Reese is SEC POY. Period.
I think they will give SEC POY to Boston bc that’s the only way that she will be able to stay in the conversation for NPOY. Reese overall body of work in SEC conference play was better than Boston which should earn her the award. Reese was held under her avg against SC but she scored more pts than Boston during that matchup.

Who cast votes for POY in each conference?

Reaction Score
I don't think there's no debate, they will give the SEC POY to Reese. I like Boston and truly believe she's the best player in College basketball, but the stats will definitely take precedent for these awards. In big moments Boston has stepped up for the team but she often served as a distraction which has lead the way for the rest of the team to improve.

Reaction Score
SEC:
Player of the Year: Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Coach of the Year: Dawn Staley, South Carolina
Freshman of the Year: Flaujae Johnson, LSU

Pac-12:
Player of the Year: Alissa Pili, Utah
Coach of the Year: Lynne Roberts, Utah
Freshman of the Year: Raegan Beers, Oregon State

Big 12:
Player of the Year: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Coach of the Year: Jennie Baranczyk, Oklahoma

B1G:
Player of the Year: Caitlin Clark, Iowa
Coach of the Year: Teri Moren, Indiana
Freshman of the Year: Cotie McMahon, Ohio State

ACC:

Big East:

I would disagree that Boston "soundly outplayed" Reese, I'd say SCar soundly outplayed LSU. In that game, Reese's stat line was 34 minutes, 16 points, 4 rebounds, 2 asst, 1steal, 4 blocks, 1 turnover. Boston's stat line was 31 minutes, 14 pts, 9 rebounds, 2 asst, 0 steals, 3 blocks , 2 turnovers. So Boston had more rebounds and same # of assists but Reese had more points, more steals, more blocks and less turnovers.
But I'm enough of a cynic that I do agree Boston wil win the award based on pre-season expectations not based on this season's production.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would disagree that Boston "soundly outplayed" Reese, I'd say SCar soundly outplayed LSU. In that game, Reese's stat line was 34 minutes, 16 points, 4 rebounds, 2 asst, 1steal, 4 blocks, 1 turnover. Boston's stat line was 31 minutes, 14 pts, 9 rebounds, 2 asst, 0 steals, 3 blocks , 2 turnovers. So Boston had more rebounds and same # of assists but Reese had more points, more steals, more blocks and less turnovers.
But I'm enough of a cynic that I do agree Boston wil win the award based on pre-season expectations not based on this season's production.
That's fair about SC outplaying LSU, but Reese was largely a non-factor until the game was decided. Entering the 4th she was 3-12 and had 7 points. Boston had 14 on 5-9 shooting through 3 quarters and had also stuffed Reese twice. Eye test said Boston was clearly the better player that day even if Reese finished with a comparable stat line.

I'll have no quarrels with Reese winning based on the impressive body of work she's put together, but I think Boston's the clear cut best player in the SEC even if the numbers don't reflect that.

Reaction Score
That's fair about SC outplaying LSU, but Reese was largely a non-factor until the game was decided. Entering the 4th she was 3-12 and had 7 points. Boston had 14 on 5-9 shooting through 3 quarters and had also stuffed Reese twice. Eye test said Boston was clearly the better player that day even if Reese finished with a comparable stat line.

I'll have no quarrels with Reese winning based on the impressive body of work she's put together, but I think Boston's the clear cut best player in the SEC even if the numbers don't reflect that.
I think Boston has a much more polished style of play and looks smoother than Reese. I just don't think Reese should be judged simply on that one game because she has had a great season. Reese is scrappy for a 6'3" player and doesn't always look smooth, but gets her rebounds, her points and does a lot little things during the game that have def contributed to LSU's SEC record.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I agree McMahon is getting it in the B10, and the all freshmen team is loaded:

McMahon (OSU)
Serah Williams (Wisconsin)
Kaylene Smikle, RU
Yarden Garzon, IND
Mara Braun, MINN
I'll be disappointed if Hannah Stuelke from Iowa is snubbed. She only plays 15min/game but makes a huge impact in those 15 minutes. Of all freshmen playing 10+ min/game in conference play, Stuelke is 2nd in points/40min and 1st in rebounds/40min by a tremendous margin. Also leads all freshmen averaging 10min/game in FG% by a tremoundous margin -- 65.3%. Her per40 numbers even stack up well against older players. She's top 10 in per40 points, rebounds, and FG% among all classes.

Nothing against Williams, Braun, or Smikle, but their numbers are purely the result of being high usage players on awful teams.

I also think Garzon deserves FOY over McMahon. Garzon is, at this point, a much more well-rounded player. I'll grant that it's difficult to evaluate because McMahon was under a lot more pressure to produce with all of OSU's injuries.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SEC POY can go either way. Reese is just as a deserving as anybody. I think Boston is the better player but Reese has been more impressive statistically this season. Boston has taken the pounding every game to the benefit of her teammates, which has ultimately made SC an even better team. She may not get the SEC POY or even the NPOY (Clark is a lock at this point), but hopefully it all results in another national championship and maybe a tournament MOP. SC seems focused on that more than anything. Dawn hasn't even been speaking out about individual awards as much this year.

Reaction Score
I think they will give SEC POY to Boston bc that’s the only way that she will be able to stay in the conversation for NPOY. Reese overall body of work in SEC conference play was better than Boston which should earn her the award. Reese was held under her avg against SC but she scored more pts than Boston during that matchup.

Who cast votes for POY in each conference?
Media has one set of SEC awards, coaches vote on a set.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
The SEC awards are out.
Hocus Pocus Wtf GIF by Freeform

Reaction Score
Who votes on the official SEC awards? I'm all for criticizing LSU non-conference schedule but I don't think that should have factored in SEC play/awards. I wonder what the voters criteria was.

Reaction Score
Who votes on the official SEC awards? I'm all for criticizing LSU non-conference schedule but I don't think that should have factored in SEC play/awards. I wonder what the voters criteria was.
Agreed, it should’ve been Reese. That one missed double double against SC shouldn’t have eliminated her from being the POY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom