OT: - College & Professional Athletes Nicknames | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: College & Professional Athletes Nicknames

Reaction Score
The Snake and The Mongoose
'Back in the day', I saw them race at Dover Drag Strip. Saw "Ohio" George there as well.
The last couple years Ohio George has been in attendance at the FE Race and Reunion in Beaver Springs, Pa at
Beaver Springs Drag Strip.

Reaction Score
Galloping Ghost
Crazy Legs
Sweetness
The Rocket
Iron Head
Clyde the Glide
Minnesota Fats/New York Fats
Grange, Hirsch, one of my college roommates was Iron Head's high school coach in Passsaic, NJ.
Clyde Frazier

Reaction Score
Well done! No " research" needed?
Other than to check on Preacher's given first name, No. These were easy for me. I grew up in Norwalk in the 50s. Mantle, from Commerce, OK was my childhood hero Almost all Yankee games were on WPIX, channel 11 and the Dodgers and Giants before they relocated to CA were on WOR, channel 9 so I was very familiar with Furillo and Roe. By the early 70s I moved to South Florida where Czonka and Kiick earned those nickname playing for the Dolphins. My Dad, also a huge Yankee fan would tell me about the outfield of Charlie "King Kong" Keller in Left, Joe Di in Center and Tommy "Old Reliable" Henrich in Right

Reaction Score
I always loved the Night Train nickname...Dick [Night Train] Lane.
Cornerback for Detroit Lions. The receiver did not see Night Train until he was clobbered.

Who is The Merry Mex?
Lee Trevino

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Splendid Splinter and Teddy Ballgame both belonged to.....
Too easy.......the splendid splinter was MLB’s Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox). Teddy ballgame was also one of williams’ monikers. Williams still holds the record of being the last player to hit over .400 (406) for an entire season (1941). Tony Guinn came close finishing at .396 in 1984.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Big Unit
Flo Jo
The Spider
The big unit was 6’10” pitcher Randy Johnson. Flo Jo was the late female sprinter Florence Griffith Joyner. Some hitters have lamented that Johnson’s pitching delivery stride to the plate was so long, it felt like he was right on top of them when he released the ball. :confused: Johnson, a left- handed pitcher made many a left-handed hitter’s front leg turn to “jelly” when he came at them wiith a big sweeping side arm pitch. :eek:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom