The “Splendid Splinter”, Ted Williams

The Penguin (Ron Cey)

And last but not least, Walt “No Neck” Williams

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don Garlitz (sp?)?
1659978026148.png

At age 90, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits has thrown down the gauntlet. Maybe that should read: Seattle innovator Steve Huff has thrown down the gauntlet.

Garlits, for decades a trailblazer in drag-racing design, set out about 10 years ago to become the first to blast a battery-powered dragster down the quarter-mile at 200 mph. Ultimately, Huff— loosely speaking, a younger, less-swashbuckling, more nonchalant, but equally obsessive version of Garlits— beat him to it.

You're right. I was thinking of Gene Lipscomb, but Don Garlits is also known as BIG DADDY! I watched him race many times during my youth here in Southern California at the Winter Nationals in Pomona, Ca. One of the most respected and hard to beat drivers in drag racing. :) This man is a legend in the world of drag racing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of all the sports, I think baseball has the best nicknames. Here are a few:

The Toy Cannon (Jimmy Wynn)

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Cool Papa Bell

The Crime Dog (Fred McGriff)

The Big Hurt (Frank Thomas)

Mark “the Bird” Fidrych

“Spaceman” Bill Lee

Jim “Catfish” Hunter

The “Splendid Splinter”, Ted Williams

The Penguin (Ron Cey)

And last but not least, Walt “No Neck” Williams
Good list. The only one I didn't know was the last one, No neck. :confused: No takers on the Cheetah or the Judge yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 78098

David Arthur Kingman, nicknamed "Kong," "King Kong," and "Sky King", is a former Major League Baseball left fielder, first baseman, third baseman, and designated hitter who was a three-time MLB All-Star with 442 career home runs and 1,210 runs batted in in 16 seasons.
Charlie " King Kong" Keller, Yankee outfielder, home run hitter in the 30's and 40's.

Reaction Score
Trevino is indeed 'The Merry Mex'.

BTW: his on-course personality was just that. Privately he was very much a quiet introvert...room
service dinner in the hotel...practiced putting and watched TV into the night...no social rambling unless he had to.

Big Daddy Lipscomb.

Who is Iron Byron?
Iron Byron is the name of the golf ball hitting machine. Named after "Lord" Byron.

Reaction Score
Galloping Ghost
Crazy Legs
Sweetness
The Rocket
Iron Head
Clyde the Glide
Minnesota Fats/New York Fats
Red Grange
Elroy Hirsch
Walter Payton
Maurice Richard
Craig Heyward
Clyde Drexler
???

Reaction Score
Dominique Wilkins was the Human Highlight Film.
That is what I meant.

I remember one night we went to a Knicks - Hawks game in NYC when Gerald Wilkins was with the Knicks and had a good game against the Hawks. We were in Charley O's after the game and Dominique was there with a couple of other people. He was very nice and we kidded him a little bit about Gerald having a better game that night than Dominque and he was good natured about it and were chatting a little bit when one of the guys I was with (a few too many beers) said to him "Dominque, isn't that a girls name"? I thought that Dominque might just take my buddy out but he just calmly turned his back on us and that was that. Still can't believe to this day my buddy said that to him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom