OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cough. Especially if we get money. But this appeals. She has AP Statistics this year, so we will see if she likes or hates it.
Based on your description, and assuming their practices remain anything remotely like what they have been, I would expect her to be offered a "Presidential Scholarship" worth between $17k and $20k per year.

Reaction Score
I can't even imagine going to college right now, or having a child going.. These are some wild times that we're living in.

School is 3 weeks out and we don't even have an idea what the daily schedules will be - considering every day will be dismissed at noon to avoid kids eating lunch at school.

I am just dumbfounded that we haven't started pushing it back or have made the decision to go distance learning to start.. Above my pay grade for sure, what do I know..

A school right on the CT border, which is a tiny district mind you - 1,000 students from K-12 has decided to go full on regular school days... Madness..

Reaction Score
Must be more thinking of when i went to school 15 years ago, BU was more on UConn's level if not around it
I had the same view when I was looking for my older son 5-6 years ago. BU has gotten much more competitive in the last 10-20 years. The school is drawing from a much bigger pool mostly because kids want to be in Boston. They also have a lot of rich foreign kids who pay full boat so the school has done a pretty good job spending money on facilities and faculty to raise their reputation. Northeastern is similar.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had the same view when I was looking for my older son 5-6 years ago. BU has gotten much more competitive in the last 10-20 years. The school is drawing from a much bigger pool mostly because kids want to be in Boston. They also have a lot of rich foreign kids who pay full boat so the school has done a pretty good job spending money on facilities and faculty to raise their reputation. Northeastern is similar.
Boston is a huge draw. Even Emerson has gotten much more competitive over the years.

Reaction Score
The cynic in me says it's amazing at how flexible state mandated education requirements can be when the state is footing the bill for the education.

The irony is that NY state is in the bottom quintile (40-50) for funding Higher Ed per capita.

But when you look at the state leadership for generations, they all went to private schools on both sides of the aisle.

I've talked to a SUNY president on this issue and he blasted the pols for shamelessly giving pork to private schools (i.e. funding a new private school law school, for instance) while slashing funds to the law school at a top SUNY. There has never been much respect for public ed. in the northeast, with the exception of UConn.

Reaction Score
I have a webinar tonight from College Board on this topic. My growing sense is that kids should apply to more than the usual number of schools, because you just don't know. If we need to defer, even next year, we can do that. But having the greatest number of options seems like the best position to be in. My daughter desperately needs the in person social element of college. She's gone to private school since K, and not with anybody she knows locally in our neighborhood (which is fairly isolated).
That is my suggestion also. You just never know. Especially in this upside down world.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The irony is that NY state is in the bottom quintile (40-50) for funding Higher Ed per capita.

But when you look at the state leadership for generations, they all went to private schools on both sides of the aisle.

I've talked to a SUNY president on this issue and he blasted the pols for shamelessly giving pork to private schools (i.e. funding a new private school law school, for instance) while slashing funds to the law school at a top SUNY. There has never been much respect for public ed. in the northeast, with the exception of UConn.

I don't think UConn has been an exception for long, if it is. When I went it was a complete afterthought, totally ignored for the same reasons: none of the important people in the region attended a public state U, so they didn't value them. The people of CT are far more proud that Yale is in the state than that UConn is.

It took going to a state U in the midwest to clearly see the difference in attitude and approach. It's very clear just how much they value those big state universities, and the kids who attend them. Nobody in those places is disadvantaged by going to the local State U no matter what its USNWR ranking is.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Statistics is fake math. Take it from an engineer

Bah. I know a lot of engineers. Predictive data analytics and modeling is huge right now. Stats is just an intro course to that stuff. One of the coolest majors I saw recently was at UConn (and it was eligible for the reduced tuition for MA residents), Cognitive Science. That is some really cool stuff.

Reaction Score
Bah. I know a lot of engineers. Predictive data analytics and modeling is huge right now. Stats is just an intro course to that stuff. One of the coolest majors I saw recently was at UConn (and it was eligible for the reduced tuition for MA residents), Cognitive Science. That is some really cool stuff.
That is true, there is quite a shift right now with a lot of people having collected a ton of data over the years now realizing they don't know what to do with the information.

Having even a basic understanding of a coding language like SQL, python, etc in your back pocket is becoming quite useful.

Reaction Score
If it's a credential that you're most interested in, and if you so value the college experience that a Covid outbreak won't dissuade you, then Boston U. is the school for you:

And they come up with catchy slogans too.

Reaction Score
Covid is going to cause a lot of Universities to rethink charging 40k a year for Liberal Arts degrees and prop up fields of study with high demand and necessity making them more accessible.

Reaction Score
And they come up with catchy slogans too.

I can explain this one, as a grad of the Communications (i.e. Advertising/PR) school. We formed into agencies that was not only hired out for advertising, and provided free PR, but we did some of the schools' communications too, especially as it related to students.

Reaction Score
Covid is going to cause a lot of Universities to rethink charging 40k a year for Liberal Arts degrees and prop up fields of study with high demand and necessity making them more accessible.

Any true liberal arts colleges charging that much are wealthy and will likely withstand the problems to come. It's the pre-professional schools below the Wesleyans of the world who will suffer mostly.

Besides, the liberal art schools have two good weapons in all of this. One, reputation and ranking is largely determined by breadth of studies. Two, those humanities and arts classes are in the black. The engineering classes are in the red. So a move to more science/engineering as a replacement for liberal arts classes actually jacks up the cost.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So my new nightmare is Naviance. For the life of me I can’t get hold of the schools registration code so I can sign up.

A friend suggests hiring someone to help navigate this process. I didn’t think we needed to do that, but now I am not sure. She also said to apply early, but is that really necessary?

Reaction Score
So my new nightmare is Naviance. For the life of me I can’t get hold of the schools registration code so I can sign up.

A friend suggests hiring someone to help navigate this process. I didn’t think we needed to do that, but now I am not sure. She also said to apply early, but is that really necessary?
They didn't give this to you back in the fall of her junior year? Private school slackers. :) E-mail the guidance counselor. They might not check their e-mails until September but they will at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom