OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We visited BU last fall. I'm not a fan, hate the non-campus urban setting. She liked it more than me.

A good friend of mine, now and from my UConn days, die hard UConn hoops fan who often took his eldest son to Gampel, has his son attending Syracuse as a freshman this year. That is taking the bullet right in the forehead. My kid isn't interested in sports and BC is a good school.

Isnt BU some insane amount of money a year? Like $75k?

Reaction Score
And BU isn't even "elite".
Well I wouldn't quite call it elite either but it's a very good school that is well respected. Check out the new Barron's book. It got upgraded to Most Competitive (highest rating).

Reaction Score
This was my point
Yeah, but most very good to elite private schools are in that range. It's in Boston so I'm sure the cost is a little higher than most schools. NYU is a pretty similar school but because it's in NYC it's one of the most expensive schools in the country.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but most very good to elite private schools are in that range. It's in Boston so I'm sure the cost is a little higher than most schools. NYU is a pretty similar school but because it's in NYC it's one of the most expensive schools in the country.
Right, don't get me wrong, I get BC and Elite schools being that price, I wouldn't consider BU elite.

Reaction Score
Do you put BU on the same level as NYU? I'm not in education, but when hiring people I have much higher opinion of NYU than BU

Reaction Score
Right, don't get me wrong, I get BC and Elite schools being that price, I wouldn't consider BU elite.
No that it makes it elite, but I checked a site that listed famous people who went to BU.

Howard Stern, Faye Dunaway, Jason Alexander

Not that it makes it elite, but it does give the school some publicity and a talking point for one of its alumni who happens to run into a BY'er who disparages the school, not knowing who he was making his remarks to.

On the other hand, maybe the ordinary BU graduate does not know of the celebrities who preceded him or her, or that BU graduate thinks he or she is the first celebrity who ever attended the school.

Anyone ever express their views to a BU graduate? if so, how did they respond?

My sister graduated from BU. I am not about to bring up the subject with her. I can tell you it cost the family a lot less sending me to UConn, than it did sending her to BU! And that was years ago!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NYU has a top ranked Law School.

For tax especially. I was shocked to see it as top ten overall. That’s new. But for tax it was long #1. BU has a good law school too #20 on USNWR. As between BC and BU, BU is stronger across the sciences and as a research university.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Does anybody have a sense on whether schools mailing stuff to your kid means anything at all? What I’m asking is, do they already have a profile that means that your kid may be in their range or is it more random? Possibly just based on their HS? Or do they have a sense of GPA and rank? I’m curious about what data they use to target students.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
We visited BU last fall. I'm not a fan, hate the non-campus urban setting. She liked it more than me.

A good friend of mine, now and from my UConn days, die hard UConn hoops fan who often took his eldest son to Gampel, has his son attending Syracuse as a freshman this year. That is taking the bullet right in the forehead. My kid isn't interested in sports and BC is a good school.

I hated that about BU too.

That’s one reason why I went to Northeastern.

Just wish I was good enough to have played ball there.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Please, no politics. It’s not about that. Let’s keep this out of the cesspool please.

My daughter is a “rising senior” in HS (I dislike the phrase). So far SATs have repeatedly been cancelled. She has one scheduled for September. Almost no schools are allowing visits. Most colleges have gone SAT/ACT optional, but what will that mean for those with or without test scores? A COVID essay has been added to the standard application. Meanwhile, some significant percentage (I heard 20% at Harvard) of recent graduates are deferring admission. What does that mean for the class of 2021? Fewer available slots? Massive class sizes?

it feels chaotic to me. For those of you with kids in college, or perhaps about to attend or with a HS Jr. or Sr. what are you doing? How are you approaching it? I have a webinar with the college board Wednesday night on applying to college in the COVID era. Not sure what to expect, they would be somewhat biased towards SATs obviously. I suppose we should be glad we took a few visits in the fall of 2019. But it doesn’t feel adequate. I’m not sure when we will get the needed remaining visits in, virtual isn’t helpful.

Then there are finances. The schools need money, so how will that impact things like merit aid? Or perhaps admitting kids below the median because they can pay. On the flip side, with so many out of work, will that shift more kids to lower cost options like CCSU?

I felt like I had a decent handle on this before COVID. Now? Not sure what to do next.

Deferrals are going to make her class more competitive than ever.

Have you guys thought about that?

Or maybe killing it at a community college for one year could give your kid a better shot at her schools (obviously talking in general to not ask personal questions about credentials)

Reaction Score
For tax especially. I was shocked to see it as top ten overall. That’s new. But for tax it was long #1. BU has a good law school too #20 on USNWR. As between BC and BU, BU is stronger across the sciences and as a research university.
I'm SHOCKED that the BU law school is ranked that high...I've never seen it listed there before or in other sources. I always viewed NYU as a top 20 law school and #2 in NYC. Not sure hiring partners would view BU that high either....but that's just my opinion

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anybody have a sense on whether schools mailing stuff to your kid means anything at all? What I’m asking is, do they already have a profile that means that your kid may be in their range or is it more random? Possibly just based on their HS? Or do they have a sense of GPA and rank? I’m curious about what data they use to target students.

We definitely got some stuff that was pure random. You sign up for SAT for SAT you are going to get it good.

Reaction Score
Urban schools in desirable cities (like BU, Northeastern, etc.) have risen the most in selectiveness and correspondingly price over the past 15 years.

The Boston, New York, and Cali city schools in particular (as well as the Ivies obviously) get a lot of wealthy intentional students who pay full boat. Good US students who get in these places from middle class families tend to get a bunch of merit aid.

Reaction Score
Daughter is a senior in high school, straight A grades and on path to valedictorian. The lack of ability to visit colleges is adding more stress everyday life. She understands, but as she starts applications there is a sense of emptiness to the process. Wake Forest is the only school of interest that is starting visits. She is a southern girl and has no desire to go up north to school. We will be patient and see what happens.

My son is a sophomore at Northeastern. He decided to stay home and maybe take a couple of classes on line if allowed. He has no interest in a full course load on-line. Northeastern is allowing students back on campus, but all the restrictions and online classes is not worth the room and board costs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm SHOCKED that the BU law school is ranked that high...I've never seen it listed there before or in other sources. I always viewed NYU as a top 20 law school and #2 in NYC. Not sure hiring partners would view BU that high either....but that's just my opinion

BU has always been strong as a law school. When I applied it was probably as good as NYU overall. It also was, I believe, the largest law school by enrollment. Harvard was also huge.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Deferrals are going to make her class more competitive than ever.

Have you guys thought about that?

Or maybe killing it at a community college for one year could give your kid a better shot at her schools (obviously talking in general to not ask personal questions about credentials)

Have thought about it. Don’t yet know what it means, nobody does really. She has a very strong weighted GPA with a couple of AP classes this year. She’s at a well regarded Catholic HS. Not interested in community college, she needs to be away from home. I suspect she’d be in very good shape if she was willing to leave the northeast, but she doesn’t seem to want to.

We are visiting UNH next Monday. Should be a reliable safety school for her. @upstater suggested that for reach schools I could not send in the FAFSA. Might make a difference given the financial challenges some schools face.

Reaction Score
Totally random. Means nothing. My son got stuff from hundreds of schools. From non-competitive schools that we've never heard of to schools like Columbia, Harvard and Princeton that he had no chance of getting accepted to. We saved the stuff for a while and then threw it all out. And the e-mails too, thousands of them, were nuts. I wish he never checked the box on the SAT sign up that schools could e-mail him.

I also know that schools that you put you are interested in on Naviance mail and e-mail you stuff. We had never received anything from Richmond until he put it on his interested list on Naviance and then we suddenly got mail every week from them.

In the end those e-mails and mail are pretty useless. Every school has websites and there's tons of information on the internet if you want to do your own research. Back when we were kids the brochures and mail were the only way to research a school without visiting.

Reaction Score
Not that U.S. News and World Report is the be all end all of a school's competitiveness and reputation, but BC is #37 and BU is #40 in the national universities ranking.

Here's another national universities ranking that has BU #30 and BC #82.

Here's another one that includes all colleges and universities that has BC at #48 and BU at #60.

Point being, their competitiveness and reputation aren't that different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have thought about it. Don’t yet know what it means, nobody does really. She has a very strong weighted GPA with a couple of AP classes this year. She’s at a well regarded Catholic HS. Not interested in community college, she needs to be away from home. I suspect she’d be in very good shape if she was willing to leave the northeast, but she doesn’t seem to want to.

We are visiting UNH next Monday. Should be a reliable safety school for her. @upstater suggested that for reach schools I could not send in the FAFSA. Might make a difference given the financial challenges some schools face.

Definitely defer for a year if she doesn't want to experience this, but I suspect this year's classes are going to have the easiest admission process in over 2 decades of stiff competition.

The economics out there are really really bad for parents of students entering Higher Ed.

Reaction Score
Definitely defer for a year if she doesn't want to experience this, but I suspect this year's classes are going to have the easiest admission process in over 2 decades of stiff competition.

The economics out there are really really bad for parents of students entering Higher Ed.
Won't all this probably be over in a year when she would be entering college? It better be over in a year! This virus blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom