Coaching search… | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Coaching search…

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I'm not sure we need to have ND success (in terms of media contracts, acceptance as a power program, etc) to be better off as an independent in football than if we were in a CUSA type conference as a football only member.

We can build an attractive schedule (could get even more attractive if the program improves) and create quite a bit of exposure. I don't see how that happens if 8-9 games a year are against the schools like UTEP and Georgia State.
Agree.

Reaction Score
If you didn't see the difference in play when Tyler P was healthy and Malzone was here, then there's no point discussing the players. That was the only moment during the season I had hope. When Malzone silently departed, you could see that once again the offensive play calling had reverted back to to the pre-Malzone times and hope was lost. I absolutely believe that a good coaching hire with good coordinators can instantly add wins. There is potential here.
It makes me think of the scene in Band of Brothers when Winters sent Speirs out into the field to replace the ineffective Dike during the attack on Foy. What a difference a leader can make. Hopefully you've seen the series and the reference isn't lost.
Yes I did see it, read the book too. In the book, Winters called Speirs the best soldier he ever knew. Didn’t like the fact that the screenwriters wrote Forrest Guth out of the series, btw. If we could find a coach with a little Ronald Speirs in him, that would be a good thing.

D52D4DDA-7571-4FCC-A51E-624E7BFE5CEA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Mazzone made Krajewski look pretty good too. We are watching a level of offensive incompetence from our staff that is incomprehensible to most. That’s why people can’t get their heads around it.

We just aren’t this bad. Our OC is so bad that one guy, making $2500/week, could completely transform the team in 6 days and make it decent. It really is comical what we are dealing with.
The staff is beyond terrible. You see what a $2,500 a week guy can do in week versus putzes. What confounds me is they reverted right back to old ways after being handed some knowledge on a silver platter. Just a stunning lack of desire to improve their own craft.

Reaction Score
Thinking Tyler Phommachanh was best at running what Malzonne planned. Hope he can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we need to have ND success (in terms of media contracts, acceptance as a power program, etc) to be better off as an independent in football than if we were in a CUSA type conference as a football only member.

We can build an attractive schedule (could get even more attractive if the program improves) and create quite a bit of exposure. I don't see how that happens if 8-9 games a year are against the schools like UTEP and Georgia State.
It's true we don't need Notre Dame type success but very few programs have that. ND is a pure national brand and that's why it can thrive as an independent. We could be in a C-USA type conference and still have a decent schedule like we had this year. All of our peers are in conferences, whether you think a peer is Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Rutgers, or Buffalo. We have a ton of work to do just to be competitive with the MTSU and WKU's of the world, never mind scheduling P5 programs. I wouldn't mind staying independent but I also don't see how UCONN rebuilds without the support of a conference. There is no North East conference but we could help turn one into an Eastern conference with more regional rivals.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind staying independent but I also don't see how UCONN rebuilds without the support of a conference.
By creating a better schedule than we would have had in the AAC and playing well in our televised games. I think having our home games on TV has to be a recruit enticement versus being behind a paywall. That should also help with the scheduling.

Reaction Score
The staff is beyond terrible. You see what a $2,500 a week guy can do in week versus putzes. What confounds me is they reverted right back to old ways after being handed some knowledge on a silver platter. Just a stunning lack of desire to improve their own craft.
So true. How could they not take any notes? Couldn't they see how well the team responded? It's like they made a conscious decision to ignore everything Mazzone brought to table and go back to being terrible.

Reaction Score
By creating a better schedule than we would have had in the AAC and playing well in our televised games. I think having our home games on TV has to be a recruit enticement versus being behind a paywall. That should also help with the scheduling.
I firmly believe that the independent schedule is best for rebuilding right now. It’s a tough sell to play for uconn, but you can pitch around 14 games against P5 opponents over the next 4 years, that’s increased exposure to NFL scouting that can entice some kids. You can also sell more talented kids on the chance to compete for playing time immediately. The better home schedule should eventually help get attendance close to how it was in the 2000’s if the On field product is worth watching (big ask, I know)

Reaction Score
Could not disagree more on your evaluation of the attractiveness of this job. Just because we suck now, and we do at an absolutely epic level of suckiness, doesn’t diminish the fact that we are a land grant university with huge brand awareness, and outstanding facilities. UConn is a good job that will attract decent candidates, IMO.
UConn has great facilities but they are 15 years old and not in the same stratosphere of anything being built or remodeled in the sec, big 10, and the rest of the P5

I was in awe of the Auburn baseball training facility I worked on 2 years ago and that was baseball

Reaction Score
UConn has great facilities but they are 15 years old and not in the same stratosphere of anything being built or remodeled in the sec, big 10, and the rest of the P5

I was in awe of the Auburn baseball training facility I worked on 2 years ago and that was baseball
Clearly there is little correlation between great training facilities and winning, otherwise we would be in pretty good shape. So, investing another dime in finer recliners, training tables, big screen TVs and xboxes is an utter waste of money.

Reaction Score

We aren't competing with Auburn though. For what we are, we have a lot going for us in terms of potential.

1. Good facilities
2. Existing fan base with history of selling out stadium
3. Flagship U with state support
4. Strong brand recognition nationally due to basketball
5. An exclusive TV deal that allows the families of players from all over the country to see every game.
6. Excellent tailgate scene (adds to culture and entertainment value, reflects relevance to local population)
7. We've been good before. It isn't impossible, as some want you to believe (for their own benefit).

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Clearly there is little correlation between great training facilities and winning, otherwise we would be in pretty good shape. So, investing another dime in finer recliners, training tables, big screen TVs and xboxes is an utter waste of money.
They just spent 1mill on the locker rooms.

Reaction Score
I have no real beef with Golden. He will make us average which better than where we are by a mile. He’s just not what I would hope for. He’s 59-59. He didn’t do much in Miami with all the assets in the world to put them back to relevancy. Defensive minded coaches are not going to get it done in nowadays. Rules are too favorable to the offense with targeting, no hands to the face, QB protection, etc.
Every coach over the past 20 years has underachieved at Miami. I’m not sure Golden was exactly accepted down there being he was from outside the Miami family/circle

Reaction Score
Mazzone made Krajewski look pretty good too. We are watching a level of offensive incompetence from our staff that is incomprehensible to most. That’s why people can’t get their heads around it.

We just aren’t this bad. Our OC is so bad that one guy, making $2500/week, could completely transform the team in 6 days and make it decent. It really is comical what we are dealing with.
I agree. Krajewski came into the game when it was 3-0. He threw for 2TD’s and rushed for one. Once we were up they resorted to the vanilla play calling (run, run, screen pass or run, punt). If they would’ve stuck to the philosophy of “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it,” we would’ve put Vandy away in the fourth quarter. And I won’t even go into the play calling of the Yale game. With better coaching the games would definitely be more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I prefer him to Lashlee. Lashlee is more exciting but a question mark if he can manage a team. I view him and Orlando about the same but will be optimistic whoever they get.
Lashlee is never coming here. I don’t care if you paid him $3m/yr his wife hated it here

Reaction Score
We aren't competing with Auburn though. For what we are, we have a lot going for us in terms of potential.

1. Good facilities
2. Existing fan base with history of selling out stadium
3. Flagship U with state support
4. Strong brand recognition nationally due to basketball
5. An exclusive TV deal that allows the families of players from all over the country to see every game.
6. Excellent tailgate scene (adds to culture and entertainment value, reflects relevance to local population)
7. We've been good before. It isn't impossible, as some want you to believe (for their own benefit).
I agree but everyone here has blue tinted glasses looking at this situation. UConn is like the Detroit Lions of the NFL you aren’t going to get a hot ticket coach. You’re going to have to get a somewhat under the radar guy or someone with past connections to fix this dumpster fire.

It’s too toxic a situation for a hot up and comer to risk their future for UConn with no connection to UConn/Connecticut/new England

Reaction Score

IIRC UConn's football facilities are one of the top in the Country... which has us wondering why we stay sucky in football... We shouldn't be.. It's inexcusable... We make terrible hires on who's running things for football.. that's apparent.... which is why there's no reason we should finally get this right... When we had issues with facilities we were pretty darn good.. Now we have everything and ... ???? ... (crickets, for real, crickets... ) Times should get better...

(and please no more hiring unqualified assistants to run a FBS program... seems like we were hiring guys that needed to use us as a stepping stone.. no more... there are plenty of qualified assistants on the waiver wire as of late)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I disagree. Burton and Shenkman are tremendous and better than most of FBS football. I’m sure there are schools in the SEC that have better facilities I’m also sure that there are schools in the SEC that have worse facilities. The same would go for every conference out there. But, hey, if you feel like it post pictures. I’m always interested in looking at other facilities.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Burton and Shenkman are tremendous and better than most of FBS football. I’m sure there are schools in the SEC that have better facilities I’m also sure that there are schools in the SEC that have worse facilities. The same would go for every conference out there. But, hey, if you feel like it post pictures. I’m always interested in looking at other facilities.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Burton and Shenkman are tremendous and better than most of FBS football. I’m sure there are schools in the SEC that have better facilities I’m also sure that there are schools in the SEC that have worse facilities. The same would go for every conference out there.
Syracuse grad Pete Thamel in his recent Yahoo article on UConn Football:

“UConn’s football facility is among the nicest outside the Power 5, as the Burton Family Football Complex and the Mark R. Shenkman Training Center would fit in at a Big Ten or ACC school, as it includes a spacious indoor field and modern locker room.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom