2024 Recruiting: - Coaches watching targets 7/6/23 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Coaches watching targets 7/6/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Dan and Kimani were in for VJ Edgecombe. Which says to me he’s become the priority target.

Luke watched Abraham and Ngongba together, and Cooper Flagg.

Tom was a busy man, watching Nowell, Fland, and Betsey play around the same time. Also caught some Bryce James action, and whoever they played.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dan and Kimani were in for VJ Edgecombe. Which says to me he’s become the priority target.

Luke watched Abraham and Ngongba together, and Cooper Flagg.

Tom was a busy man, watching Nowell, Fland, and Betsey play around the same time. Also caught some Bryce James action, and whoever they played.
Heard Bryce James (2025) is looking very good. Also heard that he'll be playing at the same HS as Richard Hamilton II (Rip's kid) next season. Hopefully little Rip will be on our list of 2025 recruits.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Similar role. Different than Hawkins because he doesn't have the footspeed to run screens like Hawkins so he uses his height to shoot over other guards instead. Betsey is much bigger and a better defender than Polley. Way higher ceiling.
Can assertions about defensive ability be that solid before the player plays in college? I’m worried his foot speed isn’t too dissimilar to Polleys.

Reaction Score
Can assertions about defensive ability be that solid before the player plays in college? I’m worried his foot speed isn’t too dissimilar to Polleys.

Just based on games I've watched. He isn't much quicker but he's definitely stronger and plays defense with a higher IQ at the same age. Half or more of defense is learning a team defensive scheme. If he picks that up, he'll be a solid contributor. Polley never quite did and it showed.

Reaction Score
Polley was a matador on D.. Betsey has got great fundamentals... Not sure he's even done growing.. Solid on D with great upside on O..

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Luke is now watching Kiyan Anthony and Jacob Ross. Like keeping tabs on those 2.

Reaction Score
Just based on games I've watched. He isn't much quicker but he's definitely stronger and plays defense with a higher IQ at the same age. Half or more of defense is learning a team defensive scheme. If he picks that up, he'll be a solid contributor. Polley never quite did and it showed.
And although Betsey is not a prolific rebounder, Polley was the worst I've seen at his position.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Boogie Fland, No. 13 overall in the rising senior class, had a long list of head coaches as well with Calipari, Oats, North Carolina’s Hubert Davis, and Connecticut’s Dan Hurley watching.

Hurley also watched Dybantsa, Tyler Betsey, Ahmad Nowell, Isaiah Abraham, and Patrick Ngongbga.

Fland feels like a giant waste of time unless we're just trying to keep a good relationship with PSA. He's not coming here and he's way overrated.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Polley was a matador on D.. Betsey has got great fundamentals... Not sure he's even done growing.. Solid on D with great upside on O..
Can’t play for coach smith and not know how to play defense.

Reaction Score
Is Tom considered an elite recruiter? He's been doing it for decades. It seems to me he is, but I'm not a follower of recruiting. I would assume Dan is the closer.

Reaction Score
Is Tom considered an elite recruiter? He's been doing it for decades. It seems to me he is, but I'm not a follower of recruiting. I would assume Dan is the closer.

All of our assistants are awesome recruiters. Kimani is the elite of the elite though... one of the best in the country.

Tom seems to be focusing on NEPSAC schools... he owns New England. IIRC he was lead recruiter on Jackson, Karaban, Akok...and is recruiting Betsey heavily. Not sure if he's after Nowell or not. He also seems to do a lot of our scouting for players outside of EYBL and in the 16u and 15u groups.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
".. to visit."
Meant in the article.

“I’m going there in the fall. I know it’s in September. Jai Lucas, I talked to him.Chris Carrawell, I talk to him a lot.

“They just show me how good they are with freshmen, like the freedom that they give their freshmen. This year, they [the freshmen] started off rough, everybody was talking about them, but they let their freshmen play through their mistakes. The same mistakes they made in December or at the beginning of the year, they weren’t making in March. And they made a run and won the ACC and then they won a game in the [NCAA] Tournament so obviously that’s a pretty first successful season as a head coach.”

Reaction Score
Fland feels like a giant waste of time unless we're just trying to keep a good relationship with PSA. He's not coming here and he's way overrated.
I'd agree. But they're still trying.

Boogie Fland drew a slew of top-tier coaches including UConn’s Dan Hurley, North Carolina’s Hubert Davis, Kentucky’s John Calipari and Alabama’s Nate Oats to the PSA Cardinals-NJ Scholars game on Thursday at Peach Jam.

UConn: “Same thing, they want me at their school, they want me to come visit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01