Coaches on the hot seat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches on the hot seat

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wynn at Washington

I don't know how likely the administration is to make a move, but if she doesn't win more than 2-3 conference games and finish around .500 overall, I think she's gotta go. Just can't afford to keep falling so far behind when most of the rest of the conference is looking really strong moving forward.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't know how likely the administration is to make a move, but if she doesn't win more than 2-3 conference games and finish around .500 overall, I think she's gotta go. Just can't afford to keep falling so far behind when most of the rest of the conference is looking really strong moving forward.

so Wynn isn't winning? :oops:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They won't let her go this year unless it's even worse than this year. She probably has a 5-year contract and circumstances would have to be extreme to not give her a shot at a 4th year. This isn't football or men's basketball.

It can't be overstated how poorly situated Neighbors left the program. Coached a senior-laden team into the tournament and then skipped town at the perfect time. It would've been difficult for any coach to turn things around in just two years.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They won't let her go this year unless it's even worse than this year. She probably has a 5-year contract and circumstances would have to be extreme to not give her a shot at a 4th year. This isn't football or men's basketball.

It can't be overstated how poorly situated Neighbors left the program. Coached a senior-laden team into the tournament and then skipped town at the perfect time. It would've been difficult for any coach to turn things around in just two years.

Oh believe me, I know how bad the situation was when she took over. Not helped by the fact that Romeo, Strother, Kingma and Ruiz all had to retire due to injuries. I liked Neighbors but I wasn't happy w/ the roster he left. Wynn gets a free pass for a while, but not indefinitely. It's still really early in the season, but I need to see some improvement for me to have any hope about her moving forward. It's strange, but beating 2 really bad teams by 30 and 50 didn't really convince me of anything.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh believe me, I know how bad the situation was when she took over. Not helped by the fact that Romeo, Strother, Kingma and Ruiz all had to retire due to injuries. I liked Neighbors but I wasn't happy w/ the roster he left. Wynn gets a free pass for a while, but not indefinitely. It's still really early in the season, but I need to see some improvement for me to have any hope about her moving forward. It's strange, but beating 2 really bad teams by 30 and 50 didn't really convince me of anything.
Yes, not indefinitely, but you almost have to give her at least four years for a complete rebuild. I don't think any coach in the country could've done significantly better with what talent she was left with. You also don't mention the transfers of McDonald (imminent All-American) and Collier (who's now tearing it up at Drake).

Reaction Score
I think Aston’s seat may have just blown up today— It was hard to see exactly what was happening, what with all the smoke and flying debris in the area. But because I just insist on saying positive things about my team, I’ll just say I am looking forward to seeing Joyner Holmes in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Jody Wynn should be given at least 4 years. She is a fine coach, and, when she gets her own recruits, UW will be more competitive.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, not indefinitely, but you almost have to give her at least four years for a complete rebuild. I don't think any coach in the country could've done significantly better with what talent she was left with. You also don't mention the transfers of McDonald (imminent All-American) and Collier (who's now tearing it up at Drake).

Yeah, losing McDonald hurt bad. I believe that happened before Wynn was named. Collier was on her watch, I can't remember if she committed while Neighbors was still the HC or after. The first class was blended, 2 holdover commits to Neighbors and 3 she brought w/ her that previously committed to Long Beach.

As far as how long rebuilding takes, unfortunately just south of Montalke are 2 programs that were in a bad way and rebuilt FAST. Rueck at OSU and then Graves at UO. Rueck won 20 games and NIT 3rd round in year 2, took a step back in year 3, then placed tied for 2nd and won 24 games in year 4, followed by 3 straight conference championships and a Final 4. Graves won 24 games and NIT semis in year 2, then surprising run to the Elite 8 in year 3 and has continued to trend upward. Maybe that's totally unfair for comparison, but those are NW neighbors and conference rivals. And Ethridge to the east looks like maybe she's turning things around in Pullman quicker than is going on in Seattle.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Aston’s seat may have just blown up today— It was hard to see exactly what was happening, what with all the smoke and flying debris in the area. But because I just insist on saying positive things about my team, I’ll just say I am looking forward to seeing Joyner Holmes in the WNBA.
Frankly, I worry about her prospects. She's not like Ariel Atkins, in that she hasn't developed a work ethic or a motor or even solid defensive skills, which are critical at the next level.

Joyner will almost surely get drafted (though probably not first round, unless she shows improvement this season). But I have my doubts about whether she'll make a roster. Of course, that doesn't mean she can't play overseas and develop her way into the W at a later stage.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Jody Wynn should be given at least 4 years. She is a fine coach, and, when she gets her own recruits, UW will be more competitive.

She mostly does now. I think Melgoza and Henson are the only holdovers left from Neighbors' tenure. Her recruits have to start producing.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One of my favorite quotes from the Texas board this evening: "This season, as new as it is, we seem to be the team that plays non-ranked teams and makes them rank-able." :D

Again, I don't even know if Texas is an NCAA tournament-caliber team this year.

Reaction Score
I like Wynn but the record doesn’t lie. Though that upset of Oregon St in the Pac 12 tourney was pretty amazing. They had nothing to lose and they got it done.

Reaction Score
I think Washington St’s Kamie Ethridge is safe due to no expectations. Bobbie Buckets (20 pts) is back and that pg Molina (16 pts) is a little Houdini. What a tandem. Entertaining to watch.

Plebe

Reaction Score
She mostly does now. I think Melgoza and Henson are the only holdovers left from Neighbors' tenure. Her recruits have to start producing.
That's technically true, but reality is that when a new coach is hired in April or May, she hardly has time to build her own recruiting class for the following fall. She's mostly trying to salvage whatever verbal commits or other interested players were abandoned by the departing coach.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's technically true, but reality is that when a new coach is hired in April or May, she hardly has time to build her own recruiting class for the following fall. She's mostly trying to salvage whatever verbal commits or other interested players were abandoned by the departing coach.

Yeah, like I said she brought some of her LB recruits with her, some of which just aren't Pac 12 caliber. Out of 5 from that year, 2 transferred, Peterson is the only real contributor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
McDonald may have stayed if Neighbors didn’t leave. I thought he was just lucky because of Plum but he’s for real. Instead Arizona is a program on the rise started by one huge transfer

Neighbors and Barnes both seem to be recruiting better in their current locations than they did in Seattle. After the class w/ Plum and Osahor, they brought in almost nobody that was a significant contributor for the next 2 classes. The 3rd year w/ McDonald and Melgoza has turned out to be much better than it was rated at the time, but of course Aari left. UW had their best 2 year stint in school history, a Final 4, a bunch of publicity from Plum's chasing down the scoring record, and parlayed it into very little on the recruiting front. Such a wasted opportunity.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite quotes from the Texas board this evening: "This season, as new as it is, we seem to be the team that plays non-ranked teams and makes them rank-able." :D

Again, I don't even know if Texas is an NCAA tournament-caliber team this year.
I was looking at Hornfans and liked this comment about the usual throwing out names like Walz and Vic:
"Also, you can throw out big name coaches all you want but if any of the “elite” coaches could be lured away, they would be at Tennessee right now."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Others on the hot seat -

Schneider at Kansas
Perretta at Villanova
Versp at Purdue
Aston at Texas
Payne at Colorado
Wynn at Washington
Perretta would not be on the hot seat, but it doesn't matter - he is retiring at the end of the year. He is having a bad season.

Wynn has not been there long enough to be on the hot seat, IMHO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking fans of other Pac 12 schools want Wynn to stay at UW so the Huskies remaining a bottom feeder...

Reaction Score
I think Washington St’s Kamie Ethridge is safe due to no expectations. Bobbie Buckets (20 pts) is back and that pg Molina (16 pts) is a little Houdini. What a tandem. Entertaining to watch.
Looking forward to the Baylor @Wash St game Nov 28. See how Hristova does. Wash St will go into that game undefeated (Ha!) after they beat Boise St tonight and another team later this week. Go Cougars!!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the Baylor @Wash St game Nov 28. See how Hristova does. WashSt will go into that game once they beat Boise St tonight and another team. Go Cougars!!
Won't be at Pullman. Neutral court at Paradise Jam.

Washington State is the team from the projected bottom half of the Pac-12 that I think has the best chance of pleasantly surprising people.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the Baylor @Wash St game Nov 28. See how Hristova does. Wash St will go into that game undefeated (Ha!) after they beat Boise St tonight and another team later this week. Go Cougars!!

Cougs win 80-68. I'm curious to see how they'll do against Baylor, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can keep it close.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Unless Wake Forest does a complete turnaround..... I dont see how Jennifer Hoover survives. She seems like a nice enough lady...... but you cant be losing twice in a season to teams from the Southern Conference. That was ridiculous tonight.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Unless Wake Forest does a complete turnaround..... I dont see how Jennifer Hoover survives. She seems like a nice enough lady...... but you cant be losing twice in a season to teams from the Southern Conference. That was ridiculous tonight.

I like Jen Hoover and remember her playing for Wake Forest in their heyday in the mid 1980s. WBB isn't really a high priority at Wake Forest..and just can't see them pulling the plug on one of their own in that sport.

Plebe

Reaction Score
When does her contract come up?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom