Coaches on the hot seat | The Boneyard

Coaches on the hot seat

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I know people have talked about Steph White and Sherri Coale, but I just realized that Karen Aston is in the last year of a 3-year contract extension:

I dare say that if Texas doesn't show improvement over last season — and their loss at USF was hardly encouraging — lots of folks in Austin are gonna be ready for a change. I'd say that just the fact that she hasn't received another extension yet, in November of the last year of her contract, speaks volumes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that's why her recruiting has been so poor lately - the recruits who like her don't know if she'll stay, and the ones that have wised up are looking elsewhere. Kind of a vicious cycle, no-win situation. And agreed that some impressive on-court performances are going to be the only salve. Winning can cure a lot of ills...
Possibly the same excuse McCallie will use at Duke. The sheer volume of #lessonslearned each year for her and her team is mind boggling... - so sayeth @CamrnCrz1974

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The WCBB seat in Cameron Indoor

shaqwater.gif

thanks @Plebe for making this thread... this gif has been sitting in storage... was just waiting for the right time to use it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that's why her recruiting has been so poor lately - the recruits who like her don't know if she'll stay, and the ones that have wised up are looking elsewhere. Kind of a vicious cycle, no-win situation. And agreed that some impressive on-court performances are going to be the only salve. Winning can cure a lot of ills...

Getting creamed by Baylor on a regular basis can't help.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Getting creamed by Baylor on a regular basis can't help.
Karen seems to have reached her peak in Austin, and her peak was:
(a) getting to the Elite 8, once.
(b) beating Baylor in Waco, once.
(c) playing UConn close, once.

Reaction Score
Nikki Caldwell at LSU as well, but sadly I think all coaches named will get contract extensions because in certain places women’s basketball is an afterthought

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would think White MUST be on the hot seat. Vanderbilt has been such an also ran, and it has a decent, quite respectable history.

I don't have the ambition to look up a year-by-year Texas history, but I "think" her job will be ok if she has a decent year - which would be better than last year, I would say. At least one NCAA win would help.

Coale was supposed to be rebuilding last year, if she did, I'm sure she will be fine.

One coach never mentioned that I always think is mired in mediocrity is Oklahoma State.

Reaction Score
Nikki Caldwell at LSU as well, but sadly I think all coaches named will get contract extensions because in certain places women’s basketball is an afterthought

Our last AD Joe Alleva completely gave up on the WBB program years. ago. As long as there wasn't a scandal he had no intention on making changes. He faced a lot of heat for how he handled it at the end.

The extension Nikki got was mainly for recruiting purposes.

Reaction Score
Our last AD Joe Alleva completely gave up on the WBB program years. ago. As long as there wasn't a scandal he had no intention on making changes. He faced a lot of heat for how he handled it at the end.

The extension Nikki got was mainly for recruiting purposes.
LSU is specifically a football school and with the upward spiral Coach O is on and the program just beat Alabama and is finally in position to make the college football playoff for the first time...Nikki will be there a while

Reaction Score
LSU is specifically a football school and with the upward spiral Coach O is on and the program just beat Alabama and is finally in position to make the college football playoff for the first time...Nikki will be there a while

I respectfully disagree for multiple reasons. LSU always is a football school but it invests a lot in its other athletic programs.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree for multiple reasons. LSU always is a football school but it invests a lot in its other athletic programs.
I’m not saying they don’t invest in the other programs, I’m saying LSU is primarily a football school and right now at this moment women’s basketball is an afterthought in Baton Rouge. In women’s basketball you can perform mediocrity for quite some time before you’re on the hot seat if ever. I don’t feel like they attract enough attention or fan scrutiny to get someone fired and unless there’s a scandal there probably won’t be a fire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No way White gets an extension. Team looks horrible again this year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Having watched the USF/ Texas game in person, Aston should be in the hot seat.

No real offensive flow. A lot of run & gun. Not very disciplined in their approach. Homes was unimpressive. She is big enough and talented enough to dominate. She sure didn't dominate against USF. Collier, again she was unimpressive. With her height, she should do a lot more damage down low. Not the case. Guard play is erratic at best.

Holmes and Collier are the only bigs Aston has. She does not have the depth she use to.

I think Texas may drop out of the Top 25 if they continue to play poorly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

No real offensive flow. A lot of run & gun. Not very disciplined in their approach. Homes was unimpressive. She is big enough and talented enough to dominate. She sure didn't dominate against USF. Collier, again she was unimpressive. With her height, she should do a lot more damage down low. Not the case. Guard play is erratic at best.

Holmes and Collier are the only bigs Aston has. She does not have the depth she use to.

Off topic but how did USF look? Top 25? General analysis ?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I just looked at her schedule and she could and probably will have 5 OOC losses- USF, Arizona on Sunday, NC State, Tennessee, Stanford and then 2 by Baylor plus at least one other conference loss. That’s 8+ losses this year. Not quite Hollyesque but close. She has done better than Gail but given all the resources UT gives, me thinks she’s a goner after this year.
if I am the UT AD, I might be calling Drake or either one of the South Dakota schools!

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just looked at her schedule and she could and probably will have 5 OOC losses- USF, Arizona on Sunday, NC State, Tennessee, Stanford and then 2 by Baylor plus at least one other conference loss. That’s 8+ losses this year. Not quite Hollyesque but close. She has done better than Gail but given all the resources UT gives, me thinks she’s a goner after this year.
if I am the UT AD, I might be calling Drake or either one of the South Dakota schools!
I just looked at Texas's 2020 recruiting class of 4:
Two of them in HG top 100 (#52, #97)
Two unranked in HG

Aston did get a commitment from Harvard transfer Katie Benzan, which is a good pick-up. Still, nothing about this class would signal a reversal of the recent slide to mediocrity.

Reaction Score
I just looked at Texas's 2020 recruiting class of 4:
Two of them in HG top 100 (#52, #97)
Two unranked in HG

Aston did get a commitment from Harvard transfer Katie Benzan, which is a good pick-up. Still, nothing about this class would signal a reversal of the recent slide to mediocrity.

It is an interesting time in Austin. Coach Aston does not act like a coach on the hot seat. She seems as happy and relaxed in interviews as I can recall. She repeatedly says how she likes working with this team. With regard to recruiting, there is no doubt: the staff missed on a number of Plan A prospects for 2019 and 2020. But the staff also has learned a few lessons the hard way and is making some different choices about who they pursue and how hard. One of the unranked prospects for 2020 is a tall, big post player who is a late bloomer. The coaching staff seems to have high hopes for her. The other unranked player is a player who got a bit behind on development and notice as a result of an untimely injury.

I anxiously await the game with Arizona tomorrow. As noted by you and others, Texas is going to take some lumps this nonconference season. This should be a winnable game at home against a respectable opponent. I notice that Arizona had a close game at home against Santa Clara, a good mid-major program though I do not know anything about this year's team. Most of Arizona's starters had to play well over 30 minutes.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It is an interesting time in Austin. Coach Aston does not act like a coach on the hot seat. She seems as happy and relaxed in interviews as I can recall. She repeatedly says how she likes working with this team. With regard to recruiting, there is no doubt: the staff missed on a number of Plan A prospects for 2019 and 2020. But the staff also has learned a few lessons the hard way and is making some different choices about who they pursue and how hard. One of the unranked prospects for 2020 is a tall, big post player who is a late bloomer. The coaching staff seems to have high hopes for her. The other unranked player is a player who got a bit behind on development and notice as a result of an untimely injury.
"Happy and relaxed in interviews" could be misleading; it could be a sign of resignation to her fate, for all we know. If her position were secure, I'd expect her contract to have already been extended before the early signing period. From the looks of it, best-case scenario is the AD is waiting to see how this season goes before offering an extension.

I anxiously await the game with Arizona tomorrow. As noted by you and others, Texas is going to take some lumps this nonconference season. This should be a winnable game at home against a respectable opponent. I notice that Arizona had a close game at home against Santa Clara, a good mid-major program though I do not know anything about this year's team. Most of Arizona's starters had to play well over 30 minutes.
It's an intriguing matchup between programs that appear to be headed in opposite directions. Arizona finished last year the high note of winning the WNIT in front of a packed house in its first postseason appearance since 2011. Texas finished with a whimper, exiting the NCAA tournament in the first round to end its worst season since Aston's first year (2012).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The problem against Santa Clara (or one of them) was we just were not really in sync and (especially in the 1st half) were a bit "3 happy", going, IIRC, something like 1 of 11 or so from 3.

Reese is a bit of a conundrum, in that she can work really hard and they don't get her the ball and then she appears not to work so hard, gets the ball, and doesn't make the score. Just another manifestation of the "in sync" issues, I suppose.

With family in the Austin area we were going to come to the game, but we just never quite got it planned. The rest of the season, we will be rooting for Texas (at least, mildly) as we have since Jody's day.

Reaction Score
Others on the hot seat -

Schneider at Kansas
Perretta at Villanova
Versp at Purdue
Aston at Texas
Payne at Colorado
Wynn at Washington

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors