OT: - Coach K blocked Amaker from taking over at Duke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Coach K blocked Amaker from taking over at Duke

Reaction Score
Well, Coach K left the game at halftime with Duke up by 9 to Wake Forest. Scheyer took over and they nearly blew the game. Won on a tip in with 0.2 seconds left.

Hope Scheyer fails miserably. F Duke

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have never seen a Zoom session where hugs were possible. Poor Tommy.

Reaction Score
Put another way, how many of us would continue to cash fat paychecks while not performing the duties that made those checks possible?
There are a lot of incompetents out there some making huge money. The next one who voluntarily gives up a paycheck will be the first I’m aware of.
To be fair some might be scammers but for the majority it’s a delusional appraisal of their worth that prevents this.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Someone in the Big Ten will offer Cooley big money and it will be up to him to go or not

Reaction Score
I honestly think it was keeping skeletons in the closet. It also allows Scheyer to continue to use those same sources to get players. Amaker isn’t a cheater and while I think he’d be pretty good at Duke, I don’t think he’d bring in quite the level of talent they are used. He’d run a clean program.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
On this Wednesday morning, I’m overjoyed and elated that the majority of us here still hate Duke. I thought the hatred was gone and our victories washed it away. Words like “ I hope he fails”, “ I hope the program crashes and burns” made my day. Thanks guys.

Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the Ollie and Calhoun situation... I hope Scheyer is just as much a failure as Ollie and that whole program burns in a fiery heap of dung.
But without the natty ring

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Shocked there hasn't been an article yet comparing this with the Brian Flores lawsuit. At the very least, it's extremely interesting, timing-wise.

Reaction Score
Someone in the Big Ten will offer Cooley big money and it will be up to him to go or not
He makes 3.5/yr (18th highest in country) and is getting a small bump after this year. I’m not sure where or why people think he’s going anywhere. His life goal is to make Providence a national power no other school can offer him that opportunity

Reaction Score
He makes 3.5/yr (18th highest in country) and is getting a small bump after this year. I’m not sure where or why people think he’s going anywhere. His life goal is to make Providence a national power no other school can offer him that opportunity
FWIW, every coach is trying to make their current job a National Power, until their current job isn’t as attractive as their next job.

Do I think he’ll leave, no. But I also didn’t see Mick getting a UCLA job. Weirder things have happened

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the Ollie and Calhoun situation... I hope Scheyer is just as much a failure as Ollie and that whole program burns in a fiery heap of dung.
This is way deeper than the Ollie and Calhoun situation. Scheyer is for all intents and purposes K’s son.

Reaction Score

That goal is right up there with Maryland football being Randy Edsall's dream job.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why this is such a big story. Amaker hasn’t been at Duke for 25 years now. Scheyer is a current assistant with much greater familiarity of the program, the dynamic of the school lately etc, not to mention all the relationships he’s established with faculty, media etc. On many levels, I think Scheyer makes a lot of sense.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t know why this is such a big story. Amaker hasn’t been at Duke for 25 years now. Scheyer is a current assistant with much greater familiarity of the program, the dynamic of the school lately etc, not to mention all the relationships he’s established with faculty, media etc. On many levels, I think Scheyer makes a lot of sense.
I think it’s being presented as a big story because there’s a racial component to it. K and Scheyer clearly have this father/son type connection, both being from Chicago growing up in Jewish immigrant families. But you’re right Amaker hasn’t been at Duke for a long time. K has obviously earned this right to pick his successor. Not as big of a story as it’s being made out to be. I do wonder who leaked the story and why.

Reaction Score
I think it’s being presented as a big story because there’s a racial component to it. K and Scheyer clearly have this father/son type connection, both being from Chicago growing up in Jewish immigrant families. But you’re right Amaker hasn’t been at Duke for a long time. K has obviously earned this right to pick his successor. Not as big of a story as it’s being made out to be. I do wonder who leaked the story and why.
Coach K is Polish Catholic. He grew up in Ukranian Village and went to Catholic school. Scheyer is Jewish and grew up in a North suburb of Chicago.

Reaction Score
we should start a petition on behalf of gtown to fire ewing and hire amaker. if somehow cuse snatches him up it would be a shame. seems like a perfect fit for gtown in every way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom