OT: - Coach K blocked Amaker from taking over at Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Coach K blocked Amaker from taking over at Duke

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the Ollie and Calhoun situation... I hope Scheyer is just as much a failure as Ollie and that whole program burns in a fiery heap of dung.
Mmmm I hope he is more of a failure, as in, never wins a national championship.

Coach K may have done Amaker a favor as in you don’t want to be the guy who succeeds a legend.. you want to be the guy who follows the guy who succeeds a legend.

Reaction Score
This is old news. He wanted the new coach on the bench this season and did not want to have to bump one of his current assistants.

I'm sure no one will be surprised if this is a failed experiment by 2026-2027. It's gonna take them a few coaches to find the next guy.
The last 4 major programs to follow this route have all ended poorly, outside of KO's title

UConn with KO
Michigan with Howard (not a disaster but not good)
Memphis with Penny
Georgetown with Ewing

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Thanks story is completely unsurprising. Regardless of if he’s coaching or not, a Coach K (or a Calhoun for that matter) will always view it to a large extent as his program. I’m more surprised that Duke would’ve approached Amaker without being 100% on the same page as K.

Reaction Score
The last 4 major programs to follow this route have all ended poorly, outside of KO's title

UConn with KO
Memphis with Penny
Georgetown with Ewing
Still too early to say on Howard. I know they are struggling this year, but they were great last year and lost a ton. Give him some time.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why this confuses you.
What was the alternative — announce Amaker last spring and then have him coach at Harvard for another year? And in that year who is recruiting for Duke? For Harvard?
The only way to have a coach in waiting is if he is on staff.

The alternative is to not announce anyone until the end of this year — which again kills recruiting for Duke.
Yeah. Announce it at the end of the year. Like pretty much every new coach has been announced. If it hurts recruiting for 1 offseason, oh well. Forcing someone to be an assistant like this is a bit unprecedented.

But @wheelerdog sorta addressed my point pretty well. I didn't realize this was a known thing about K and the new coach. Didn't realize he wanted his chosen guy to already be on the bench.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Scheyer is obviously K's guy. He is a Chicago area kid who is well regarded out here. His first recruiting class is damn good. Can he coach? We will all find out next year. I agre with @aburks41 the track record for assistant coaches/former players that follow legends is close to abysmal. Mike Davis, Bill Gutheridge, Hank Raymonds to name a few. Some have one or two good years then fade or decide they don't want the job including KO and Gary Bartow. Joe B. Hall was successful following Rupp. Hubert Davis struggling in year one. It's really hard following a legend because the fans will always compare the current head coach to the legend. Luckily for us that never happens on the Boneyard.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This story was inevitiable based on the shear volume of former players/asst coaches who want the job.

Real question is who leaked it and why? Wasn't Duke or K.

Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the Ollie and Calhoun situation... I hope Scheyer is just as much a failure as Ollie and that whole program burns in a fiery heap of dung.
So you hope they put up another banner?

Reaction Score
Amaker will 100% either be coaching Georgetown or PC next year. (If Cooley goes to Georgetown).

Is Boeheim done after this year? Amaker is a great coach with Northeast roots and would do well there too.
Why do people keep saying Cooley to gtown. He’s a providence guy born there/from there. He’s gonna stay there as long as he wants to coach

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amaker will 100% either be coaching Georgetown or PC next year. (If Cooley goes to Georgetown).

Is Boeheim done after this year? Amaker is a great coach with Northeast roots and would do well there too.
Cooley isn’t going to Georgetown.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

UConn with KO
Memphis with Penny
Georgetown with Ewing
Yep. Regardless Coach K is one of the few coaches that has earned the right to dictate the direction of the program after he leaves.

Reaction Score
So you hope they put up another banner?
The trend seems to be one or two good years and then the bottom falls out. I would bet lots of money that Scheyer never wins a title at Duke.

Reaction Score
This just seems to be the trend in a lot of big programs lately. It’s a gamble hiring somebody with zero head coaching experience to take over the ship at a blue blood program. It happened with KO, then Michigan hired Juwan Howard, UNC hired Hubert Davis, and now Duke is hiring Scheyer. Makes you wonder what’s going to happen when Boeheim finally decides to retire. I guarantee he wants Mcnamara to take over.
Over Buddy?

Reaction Score
I would love nothing more than to see Jon Scheyer become a total failure as a coach, and for Duke to fall into the abyss.

But, does anyone find it odd that Duke didn't run that by K? Calhoun got to pick out his successor, why would Duke not offer the same to the guy who won them 5 titles lol

Also, Amaker to Georgetown...? That would be a great hire
JC really didn’t get to pick his successor
Ollie got a 6 month interim position for peanuts.
The expectations were 2012-13 would be a disaster and the AD could pick someone more Big Tenish vs South Boston or Crenshaw. When Ollie won 20 games
10-8 in the Big East he was forced into a three year extension.
My belief is no Ollie no NC in 2014
Most people on this board really don’t understand how close , Bazz, Boat, and DD were to Ollie..I didn’t understand myself the extent of the tragedy. I knew he was their coach since 2011 and father figure. Especially Bazz
I never grasped how close that four were until thev FF presser’s in 2014.
That KO had a personality change with that NC. which destroyed his marriage, career , and relationships , and also
destroyed the sense of family that surrounded our program in 2014 is undeniable and tragic.
However how many of us actually achieve that type of success and celebrity
and would we be able to remain true to ourselves.

Reaction Score

Of all the potential moves Ed Cooley leaving Providence to go to Georgetown makes absolutely zero sense to me. If I were Cooley I'd stay in RI as long as they'd have me, but if I left it wouldn't be for another small Catholic school in the same conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
However how many of us actually achieve that type of success and celebrity
and would we be able to remain true to ourselves.
Put another way, how many of us would continue to cash fat paychecks while not performing the duties that made those checks possible?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Not good? Folks are getting carried away here.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
KO was JC's choice successor all along and would only change if KO accepted a NBA position. KO had turned down a few NBA team asks for AC positions prior to JCs retirement. JC's retirement at that time was not planned or requested but his injury, a few other health related issues and the looming/known NCAA sanctions rushed that decision along

As far as the Duke issue - I think this happens a lot in college circles. I think they made a huge mistake not taking Amaker but perhaps Scheyer knows some skeletons in the K closet and this way K keeps them under the table.
Any skeletons in K’s closet have to be in Scheyers too - no?

Reaction Score
Ollie won a national title.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom