Cleveland? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cleveland?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would spend a night in Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, De Moines, Lincoln; anywhere over a night in Hartford

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was driving by Cleveland in the winter when it very windy and cold. Waves from Lake Erie were just coming over the sides on to the Interstate and freezing when the water hit the road. Very treacherous.

Reaction Score
I don't know the city too well but I know it's gotten really dangerous for residents in recent years like many Midwest cities. I have several friends from there and they're really upset about what's happening. The city seemed to be rebounding after decades of so many people leaving but it's not in a good place overall now.
Of course there are bad pockets. Someone on the post described where they are, but as a tourist you won’t find yourself there.

It’s equally unlikely that you find yourself in Shaker Heights or Gates Mills, and that’s Cleveland as well, but you might think that you’re in the middle of a royal English estate with the fox hunts, rambling estates, 5 acre zoning, et al. There’s some seriously old money in CLE.

It’s a great place to visit that’s bouncing back just like Pitt or Detroit.

The Cedar Point recommendation was also clutch — best amusement park in the world if you have a need for speed.

Reaction Score
Of course there are bad pockets. Someone on the post described where they are, but as a tourist you won’t find yourself there.

It’s equally unlikely that you find yourself in Shaker Heights or Gates Mills, and that’s Cleveland as well, but you might think that you’re in the middle of a royal English estate with the fox hunts, rambling estates, 5 acre zoning, et al. There’s some seriously old money in CLE.

It’s a great place to visit that’s bouncing back just like Pitt or Detroit.

The Cedar Point recommendation was also clutch — best amusement park in the world if you have a need for speed.
Trust me I'm rooting for Cleveland just like I'm rooting for Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis....I think Milwaukee is a true hidden gem as are Cleveland and Detroit in many ways but they're suffering with out of control crime. These Midwest cities were hurt much more by manufacturing leaving than anywhere else and they've been mismanged/are currently mismanaged which isn't seeing them be what they could be. They have the bones of truly great cities with great old architecture, space, waterfront locations etc. but the crime and poverty are way too high.

Cleveland is perfectly suitable even great for a tourist to have a fun weekend with plenty of stuff to do/see but Cleveland is not exactly like every other city as people in the thread are saying...

They've lost 60% of their population in the last 60 years, 6th highest murder rate, and they've been fighting it out with Detroit in recent years as the poorest big city in America. Trust me, I want people to visit and I think @Hey Adrien! should visit but people saying it's a great place to live and it's just like any other city aren't exactly stating the current reality of the city. Of course it can still be a great place to live for some people in certain neighborhoods but overall the city is currently a really tough place for a lot of residents to live in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Trust me I'm rooting for Cleveland just like I'm rooting for Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis....I think Milwaukee is a true hidden gem as are Cleveland and Detroit in many ways but they're suffering with out of control crime. These Midwest cities were hurt much more by manufacturing leaving than anywhere else and they've been mismanged/are currently mismanaged which isn't seeing them be what they could be. They have the bones of truly great cities with great old architecture, space, waterfront locations etc. but the crime and poverty are way too high.

Cleveland is perfectly suitable even great for a tourist to have a fun weekend with plenty of stuff to do/see but Cleveland is not exactly like every other city as people in the thread are saying...

They've lost 60% of their population in the last 60 years, 6th highest murder rate, and they've been fighting it out with Detroit in recent years as the poorest big city in America. Trust me, I want people to visit and I think @Hey Adrien! should visit but people saying it's a great place to live and it's just like any other city aren't exactly stating the current reality of the city. Of course it can still be a great place to live for some people in certain neighborhoods but overall the city is currently a really tough place for a lot of residents to live in.
It is somewhat fascinating (if unfortunate in many cases) to see the ups and downs. On a trip to St. Louis last summer I chatted with a local at a family party about what a dump the airport is. He essentially said, yep, and a lot of the rest of the city too. Gets worse every year. We talked about KC (new airport just opened) and how it has gotten better since I left in the late 90s (still has issues). Just an interesting tale of two cities headed in different directions. My firm was loosely involved as the city replaced the old red light district with this, just south of downtown. Home.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Went to Cleveland over 10 years ago - I thought it was fine. Food was decent. Caught a Guardians game and loved the ballpark - definitely a must see if you’re a baseball fan. Went to the RR HOF. Saw the Cleveland Air Show and it was great.

Reaction Score
The only place on earth where the interstate highway makes a sharp, 90-degree turn is downtown Cleveland.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Cleveland? Sheesh... 'nuf said....

Pro tip from Adub. (I try to help everyone suck the marrow out of life and help all take advantage of wherever they live. I'm well travelled and have recs for all) . You're in the Southwest, right? I like that area. My recommendation for you is to go find a peyote button, a shaman (spiritual guide,) and go on vision quest exactly 114 miles from the spot where UConn beat Gonzaga in '99 to get to their first Final Four.

You are blocked up. Come back cleansed and join our party here.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If you're driving, it's a haul. I stopped there on my way to KC via Chicago. If you're flying, then I'd have to say...why Cleveland? For a summer Anniversary trip near the woods, maybe Burlington?

Reaction Score
Pro tip from Adub. (I try to help everyone suck the marrow out of life and help all take advantage of wherever they live. I'm well travelled and have recs for all) . You're in the Southwest, right? I like that area. My recommendation for you is to go find a peyote button, a shaman (spiritual guide,) and go on vision quest exactly 114 miles from the spot where UConn beat Gonzaga in '99 to get to their first Final Four.

You are blocked up. Come back cleansed and join our party here.
Whatever....

Reaction Score
It is somewhat fascinating (if unfortunate in many cases) to see the ups and downs. On a trip to St. Louis last summer I chatted with a local at a family party about what a dump the airport is. He essentially said, yep, and a lot of the rest of the city too. Gets worse every year. We talked about KC (new airport just opened) and how it has gotten better since I left in the late 90s (still has issues). Just an interesting tale of two cities headed in different directions. My firm was loosely involved as the city replaced the old red light district with this, just south of downtown. Home.
I wish their was a sad button for St. Louis.

I need to visit KC.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Whatever....
Third Eye Illuminati GIF by Meow Wolf

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
When I worked for one of the major health insurers, one of my responsibilities was the marketing in Ohio. I would visit Cleveland several times a year and always enjoyed it. The town gets a bad rap for a time in its history that is long past. Good food, some interesting architecture and nice midwestern people. When UConn played in the NCAA regionals in Pittsburgh in 2001, we drove to Cleveland on the off day between games and visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My only regret was that we didn't have two days to tour the hall and museum. The Hall is worth the visit.

Reaction Score
East 4th Street downtown is perfect for what you are talking about doing.

Great food, Michael Symon and a couple other celebrity chefs have restaurants there. Excellent local beer and shops and bars. Very walkable street set up for pedestrian traffic and outdoor eating/drinking.

Essentially the blueprint for what Pratt Street in Hartford could become.

Cleveland gets a bad rap. It is home to three professional sports franchises, hockey is about 2 hours away (Columbus), and it seems like there are plenty of other attractions. It's got its good and bad parts just like any city, but IMO it certainly should not be ragged on for the sake of being ragged on by a message board based in Greater Hartford.

Lots going for Cleveland. Housing prices are affordable, traffic is tolerable. Generally, people are more relaxed than other large cities because one is not competing for parking places, etc. Naturally, we have our own % of assholes like any other place.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Best friend got married at Great Lakes brewing in November. I feel like the waterfront area is probably really nice in summer but there was nothing going on when we were there

MrP

Reaction Score
Johnnycake airport has been closed for a loooonng time. It’s literally cornfields now. I still fondly remember the buzz of single passenger “flying lawnchairs” as my dad called them flying about 30 feet over my childhood home. Very annoying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom