OT: - Chinese Food | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Food

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sichuan Pepper in Vernon (same plaza as Reins Deli) is where Chinese people I know eat. The claim it is the most authentic. Although when I went with them, I am not sure what they ordered was on the menu.

There's a place in either Hartford or West Hartford on New Britain Ave as well that's like this and really good...its near the korean market

Reaction Score
Despite mentioning Vietnamese American past operators of a supposedly legit Chinese restaurant, comical Crab Rangoon, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and other supposedly Chinese foods which don't exist in China or Taiwan, the similarly funny reference to Kung Pao Chicken most likely nothing remotely close to actual Gōng Băo Jī Dīng (literally chicken with peanuts), etc., that's a pretty funny and sort of accurate review.

Reaction Score
Sichuan Pepper in Vernon (same plaza as Reins Deli) is where Chinese people I know eat. The claim it is the most authentic. Although when I went with them, I am not sure what they ordered was on the menu.
Aside from the Vernon restaurant's name, a majority Chinese customer base speaking Chinese dialects and items not identified in English on a menu are often hints a restaurant may serve food somewhat close or closer to the many diverse regional foods. Sounds like a place with potential!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Aside from the Vernon restaurant's name, a majority Chinese customer base speaking Chinese dialects and items not identified in English on a menu are often hints a restaurant may serve food somewhat close or closer to the many diverse regional foods. Sounds like a place with potential!

We order grinders, Chinese, Italian, Thai food, etc for delivery when we are too lazy to cook. What are the popular delivery foods in other countries, or is take out and delivery a US thing?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Get it delivered all the time.
The General is so much better right out of the wok I can't get it to go anymore. Beef and Broccoli, Kung Pao, Egg Foo Yung, those kind of dishes can make the trip no worse for wear, imo.

Reaction Score
We order grinders, Chinese, Italian, Thai food, etc for delivery when we are too lazy to cook. What are the popular delivery foods in other countries, or is take out and delivery a US thing?
Can't speak for Italy itself, but foods delivered in many countries including China and Thailand. For example, most small Chinese restaurants either themselves or others deliver, western chains KFC and the smaller McDonalds have their own motorbike delivery guys, and Alibaba (ele.me) and tencent (Meituan.Dianping) respectively own good chunks of the 2 biggest delivery services. One thing that's massively different, foods increasingly packaged in paper-only (not styrofoam) and payment's usually by facial-recognition Alipay or other mobile payment methods (no cash, no credit card) even at the smallest restaurants or street stands. Yup, they've leapfrogged the slower to evolve US, e.g., latter still using obsolete paper checks. Thailand, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia: different companies, same evolution.

Reaction Score
The General is so much better right out of the wok I can't get it to go anymore. Beef and Broccoli, Kung Pao, Egg Foo Yung, those kind of dishes can make the trip no worse for wear, imo.
I love that you call it "The General" as I call it the same. It's really all that needs to be said.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love that you call it "The General" as I call it the same. It's really all that needs to be said.

I’d take up arms no matter who he picked a war with.

Reaction Score
Authentic Sichuan. Only way to go. Great restaurant on Mott St in NYC. Burns on the way in - burns on the way out! Rivals a good Mex!

Reaction Score
Is it a sign of legitimacy if the delivery person speaks zero point zero English words?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom