Chief Briefs - Villanova Edition | The Boneyard

Chief Briefs - Villanova Edition

Reaction Score
We actually got more foul shots tonight than our league opponent. Maybe Chief is finally being heard?

Newton, Spencer and Karaban carried us offensively and Clingan closed down the paint when he was in the game.

We were 18-24 while they were 14-17 from FT and that was basically the different in the game and now you know why Chief has made an issue of it in our wins without the FT advantage.

Johnson makes a lot of bad decisions on defense. We are a much better defensive team with Clingan. Johnson needs to learn his primary responsibility is protecting the rim and rebounding. You can’t do that 20 feet from the basket.

We made a lot of mental mistakes tonight that kept them in the game. The counter was we know how to win games.

29% three point shooting symbolized all the bad shots we took late, many from 5 feet behind the line.

The boxscore was amazingly even in rebounds, assists, shooting % and turnovers. It was about executing winning at the very end.

Key foul shots by Cam and Tristen win the game for us. Thank you Cam and Tristen.
Another Big East road win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We actually got as many foul shots tonight than our league opponent. Maybe Chief is finally being heard?
Newton, Spencer and Karaban carried us offensively and Clingan closed down the paint when he was in the game.
We were 14-20 while they were 14-17 from FT and that was basically the different in the game and now you know why Chief has made an issue of it in our wins without the FT advantage.
Johnson makes a lot of bad decisions on defense. We are a much better defensive team with Clingan. Johnson needs to learn his primary responsibility is protecting the rim and rebounding. You can’t do that 20 feet from the basket.
We made a lot of mental mistakes tonight that kept them in the game. The counter was we know how to win games.

29% three point shooting symbolized all the bad shots we took late, many from 5 feet behind the line.
The boxscore was amazingly even in rebounds, assists, shooting % and turnovers. It was about executing winning at the very end.

Key foul shots by Cam and Tristen win the game for us. Thank you Cam and Tristen.
Another Big East road win.
Chief i agree about the bad shots. Tristan played a hell of a game but a few very low percentage 3’s down stretch unacceptable. They were on the bonus and need to get to the rim. Low percentage long range 3 are not winning plays

Reaction Score
Chief i agree about the bad shots. Tristan played a hell of a game but a few very low percentage 3’s down stretch unacceptable. They were on the bonus and need to get to the rim. Low percentage long range 3 are not winning plays
I love Tristen but agree, however he hit those final 2 foul shots when we needed it.

Reaction Score
I did not realize that TN's stats were that much better playing on the road vs. Home.
3 pt percentage was low but I thought Villanove guarded the 3 point line well and SC shot too many from beyond the arc

Reaction Score
When we went up 9 in the 2nd half and Newton shot that ill advised 3 (heat check, some would call it), when he missed you just kind of felt like that might let Nova get back into it, and it did. I would have rather him slow it down there and set something inside for Clingan, or just a better look in general.

Reaction Score
I love Tristen but agree, however he hit those final 2 foul shots when we needed it.
He did but missed one earlier. He is a very good ft shooter and have great confidence in him. Game may have been over without 2 poor 3 point shots

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Somebody tell Newton he’s not Steph Curry!

These close games are helpful. Love that the sole remaining knock on Hurley is now in the trash bin.

Reaction Score
I agree about SJ. He also needs to let mistakes go. I can't read minds, but it seems like times he has trouble moving on and it snowballs for him. Also, he tends to let his athleticism carry him on the court and he doesn't work the entire clock. I think that is what is impressive about Dixon for Villanova. He doesn't just let Clingan have his way. He works early to establish position and did pretty well for a guy giving up size. He's one of the opposing players over the past few years that I have earned the greatest respect for.
Nova did a great job limiting Cam's open looks. They defended the arc pretty well.
Nice to see a ref willing to blow a whistle with the game on the line when an obvious offensive foul was committed. There were a few missed calls, but the refs were pretty good overall.
Didn't get why the Diarra and the rest were still doubling when Clingan came in.
Finally, the out of bounds plays on the defensive end needs to improve. These plays were almost always and advantage under Calhoun, and even last year, the edge went to the Huskies in most games.
Still, it is a road win against a good team and it will give Hurley several things to work on in practice.

Reaction Score
Doubling TJ Bamba down low was wild, lead to an open three.

Reaction Score
This team is really good. But trend of going on big runs followed by blowing that lead is not ideal.
They consistently go on runs that should close the door , but they always leave it open. This tendency is going to rip our heart out one game.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Good ol' skip the Creighton Briefs and get back to work like no one noticed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom