Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

Reaction Score
I thought Newton played a little bit selfish today. Too much one on one stuff. At times when he had the ball, I thought I was watching the Seton Hall offense, drive it to the hoop, chuck it up and see what happens. Not worried though, he'll be fine when it matters.
He had 8 assists, 7 rebounds . His parents were there.

Reaction Score
I thought Newton played a little bit selfish today. Too much one on one stuff. At times when he had the ball, I thought I was watching the Seton Hall offense, drive it to the hoop, chuck it up and see what happens. Not worried though, he'll be fine when it matters.

We assisted on 18 of 24 hoops. Georgetown was switching on everything and we got most of our easy looks off of penetration. Newton missed a ton of shots but created a lot of offense.

Reaction Score
Diarra was pretty good again. He's turning into a pretty reliable piece for Hurley.

Spencer may never be a stud on defense, but he seems to have a knack for getting a rebound, loose ball or steal when the team needs it.

Castle was solid as well. I just want to see him getting better and better. I love the way he attacks the basket.

I would like to see more of and from Ball.

The rebounding needs to be better, but there were also a few weird play, but that's what happens when refs let a team muck it up.

On offense, the spacing was a little off at times, and I could be wrong, but it seemed like there were a couple of times where Castle had the ball with a mismatch, and wanted a clear-out, but screeners came anyways and let for an easy switch back. Especially in a game with the refs calling it like they did, I would like to see the clear out and Castle going 1 on 1 when the mismatch presented.

Reaction Score
That's an awesome assist to hoops ratio. (Even for our team). It causes the opponent a lot of anguish and frustration which showed during the game.
Scoring came easy to us, and was hard for them. Game over.

Reaction Score
Seemed like he got hit on a lot of his drives to the hoop and rarely got calls.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think he was trying to force the refs to call some fouls on Georgetown. Unfortunately many of their heavy fouls on him were neglected while touch or invisible fouls were the norm on the other end.
Rick Pitino is laughing after his "I'm not the one calling you clowns" press conference.

Reaction Score
You are spot on chiief. If not for excellent shooting the refs could have manufactured a loss. A stretch at the end perhaps not in chronological order. Karaban clean block, foul shots. Castle clean block foul shots, tristan clean steal, foul shots, invisible foul on stewie, foul shots. Stewie looks up at replay perplexed. Diarra swipes off driver, ref gives Georgetown the ball. Georgtown center trips , uconn foul. It is clearly intentional. These idiot’s don’t realize the status of their job is dictated by the success of the league. Sabotaging the best team does not help their cause.
It has really gotten dysfunctionally sick. I want the problem fix.

Reaction Score
Diarra was pretty good again. He's turning into a pretty reliable piece for Hurley.

Spencer may never be a stud on defense, but he seems to have a knack for getting a rebound, loose ball or steal when the team needs it.

Castle was solid as well. I just want to see him getting better and better. I love the way he attacks the basket.

I would like to see more of and from Ball.

The rebounding needs to be better, but there were also a few weird play, but that's what happens when refs let a team muck it up.

On offense, the spacing was a little off at times, and I could be wrong, but it seemed like there were a couple of times where Castle had the ball with a mismatch, and wanted a clear-out, but screeners came anyways and let for an easy switch back. Especially in a game with the refs calling it like they did, I would like to see the clear out and Castle going 1 on 1 when the mismatch presented.
Castle has the ability to pick up fouls and the strength and technique to finish. Although he gets to the line more than guys who played on last year’s team - there were still numerous non calls. But things could be worse, he could be treated like Newton by the refs.

Reaction Score
I just don’t think it’s gonna change, somebody must want the games called this way. I thought our AD already talked to the league in the last offseason?

Reaction Score
They’re in a tough spot given the Fox Sports contract is with the league not UConn.
He is awful, rambling on about nothing. Bill Walton junior. And nothing about the horrible officiating.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a fugly game start to finish

1. AK and Cam - their 3's won the game for UConn. it may not be there another game but thank you both for knocking them down this afternoon.
2. GTown missed so many easy shots, especially lay ups - had they made half of them it's a different game. I've said it for a few weeks - Cam and Newton are so soft on perimeter D that it is scary.
3. Speaking of Newton - he may "fill the boxscore" but he was Ed Cooley's best player today. For the life of me I can't understand why DH didn't sit him down for at least a few minutes today. He had so many opportunities to do so.
4. The old comical and insane is back with DH. I thought he would have realized that his antics were detrimental to himself, the players and the team last season and was happy when he became reserved and actually coached. He was an absolute clown today. Not a way to get the refs from looking away or having rabbit ears.
5. Yeah the officiating is bad, real bad. However watching a ton of games in numerous conferences, it is bad everywhere.
6. Castle is getting close, real close, to being the SC I watched in HS and AAU - he is going to be electric.
7. Stew showed some really nice things out there - he deserves more PT
8. Hassan started slow but again provided a spark. His 3 pt shooting is a wonderful bonus.
9. Why can't SJ rebound? Why aren't they working with him in that area?

Wednesday, Creighton comes to town. Good news it's a home game. Bad news is that without an 100% healthy DC, UConn will be killed on the boards. Newton better bring his 2023 game.................................

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We make baskets, they get foul shots - courtesy of the Big East.

Three point shooting was the difference today. We shot 60% to their 28%. Karaban and Spencer 3 balls were both on today and their teammates looked for them. In the first half they were a combined 7-8 and 11-14 for the game.

Karaban has his stroke back. Maybe the foul by his face against his opponents elbow last game got his grove back. Thank you Big East refs for supporting that.

While the number of fouls were similar today, the FT’s were once again vastly in our opponent’s favor by 32 to 23. Over 1/2 Georgetown’s first half points were foul shots. We scored 1/4 of our first half points from the foul line.

Chief’s official Big East UConn Officiating Handicap is 10 points per game. In the interest of fairness, to support Commissioner Val. Our defense was great today limiting their shooting to 33%.

Love the Briefs as always, but what about the mattresses?!?!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Refs (i.e. fouls) are not the headliner to me. The story of the game is that we won without Clingan again. That should never be overlooked. This team may not have looked like a #4 (or #1) team, but without Clingan they sure are winning like it.

We won another Conference game, with all its glorious ugly splendor. That's headline #2.

I see a Championship caliber team.

Imagine Purdue surviving without Edey. Yeah I know Clingan isn’t Edey yet but the point stands. We’re playing without a guy who, when healthy, is probably our most important guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I just don’t think it’s gonna change, somebody must want the games called this way. I thought our AD already talked to the league in the last offseason?
If he did, shows you how much weight and credibility AD David Benedict has with the NBE.
The officiating is bad but I would bet that fans of every team in every college campus across America says the same thing.
UConn does a lot of reaching in on D because they dont play D with their feet and are out of position.
I understand how some folks see it as a conspiracy theory and I was in that camp but not as much anymore. It starts with DH.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else get the sense that Hurley feels/communicated subtlety the same thing based on the post game press conference. Last year we all went over the top criticizing the refs but were validated with the undefeated OOC schedule and the NC.

This year its even worse and rather than complain that the refs are costing us games, we all seem to recognize that the officiating is poor in all Big East games, not just the ones we're playing in.

This needs to be addressed or this league will never thrive in march with the exception of UConn and formerly Villanova. I would be thrilled to see the higher BBall IQ/Higher skilled teams like Marquette and Creighton getting to the final 4, the only thing I want more than that is a UConn title. I want this league to thrive but it needs to get out of its own way. This league needs to stop rewarding scrubs.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Did anyone else get the sense that Hurley feels/communicated subtlety the same thing based on the post game press conference. Last year we all went over the top criticizing the refs but were validated with the undefeated OOC schedule and the NC.

This year its even worse and rather than complain that the refs are costing us games, we all seem to recognize that the officiating is poor in all Big East games, not just the ones we're playing in.

This needs to be addressed or this league will never thrive in march with the exception of UConn and formerly Villanova. I would be thrilled to see the higher BBall IQ/Higher skilled teams like Marquette and Creighton getting to the final 4, the only thing I want more than that is a UConn title. I want this league to thrive but it needs to get out of its own way. This league needs to stop rewarding scrubs.

Yeah it was pretty clever the way he complained about the BE officiating (not just in this game) without complaining about the refs.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was pretty clever the way he complained about the BE officiating (not just in this game) without complaining about the refs.
Sounded like he was giving testimonials about them, all by first name.

Reaction Score
Donny can be annoying and his anti-uconn game play calls is sickening. Is he trying to prove he isn't favoring UCONN in these games. He is over doing it.
If that was his attitude, I can understand up to a certain extent. It was great to see Ray Allen at the game. The energy and joy he displayed throwing out tee shirts to our fans was great. He looked like he was having fun as he did the last time he did that.

Reaction Score
For a team that averages 13 FT attempts a game
Wow!
It was a fugly game start to finish

1. AK and Cam - their 3's won the game for UConn. it may not be there another game but thank you both for knocking them down this afternoon.
2. GTown missed so many easy shots, especially lay ups - had they made half of them it's a different game. I've said it for a few weeks - Cam and Newton are so soft on perimeter D that it is scary.
3. Speaking of Newton - he may "fill the boxscore" but he was Ed Cooley's best player today. For the life of me I can't understand why DH didn't sit him down for at least a few minutes today. He had so many opportunities to do so.
4. The old comical and insane is back with DH. I thought he would have realized that his antics were detrimental to himself, the players and the team last season and was happy when he became reserved and actually coached. He was an absolute clown today. Not a way to get the refs from looking away or having rabbit ears.
5. Yeah the officiating is bad, real bad. However watching a ton of games in numerous conferences, it is bad everywhere.
6. Castle is getting close, real close, to being the SC I watched in HS and AAU - he is going to be electric.
7. Stew showed some really nice things out there - he deserves more PT
8. Hassan started slow but again provided a spark. His 3 pt shooting is a wonderful bonus.
9. Why can't SJ rebound? Why aren't they working with him in that area?

Wednesday, Creighton comes to town. Good news it's a home game. Bad news is that without an 100% healthy DC, UConn will be killed on the boards. Newton better bring his 2023 game.................................
Many good points and agree Karaban and Spencer were the stars. I also like Steward’s attitude and ability to mix it up inside. He has a very good vertical jump and long arms. He understands that rebounding starts with the work done before the shot. Also, Samson’s rebounding is disappointing. He over hedges and then is out of position the rest of the play. Danny seems frustrated by that but also made the adjustment his non Johnson line up will feature both Karaban and Steward.
Because of family at the game maybe Tristen forced things a little but he’s a warrior and glad he’s on our side. All in all it was a great day for the Newton/Jones family. His cousin was huge for Green Bay today.

Donovan dunked today just before start of the half’s play. But, we are 0-2 bringing him back from this injury. I hope we take the conservative approach this time whatever that is and we will never know given Danny’s injury transparency lol.

Reaction Score

Weak Commissioner with no basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
If that was his attitude, I can understand up to a certain extent. It was great to see Ray Allen at the game. The energy and joy he displayed throwing out tee shirts to our fans was great. He looked like he was having fun as he did the last time he did that.
Yeah Ray rally looked like he enjoyed it for sure

Reaction Score
I personally think Donny still holds a grudge against UCONN in how they handled his great friend KO. I think he felt UCONN deserved to treat him better as he was a former player and won UCONN a national championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom