CBS with it's WCBB Power Rankings | The Boneyard

CBS with it's WCBB Power Rankings

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1572991473831.jpeg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for that. I've had a really good day, and nothing caps it off better than a good beer and a good belly laugh.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"6. UConn: Remember five years ago when the Huskies were winning four straight national championships and the question was whether or not UConn was good or bad for women's college basketball? Five years later, it's safe to say that they were great for women's basketball. They forced other programs and coaches to raise their game. This UConn team is terrific, yet here they are ranked No. 6. ..."

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"6. UConn: . . . it's safe to say that they were great for women's basketball. They forced other programs and coaches to raise their game."
Emphasis on this part. Geno has made everybody raise their game. And even now, all but a handful of teams are still chasing them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Emphasis on this part. Geno has made everybody raise their game. And even now, all but a handful of teams are still chasing them.

Up to a year ago, a lot of WCBB fans were crying for parity. Well, it’s here. UConn is ranked 6th. If that’s not parity I don’t know what is. They must know something we don’t. I expect every team ranked above UConn to be undefeated at the holiday break, UConn will be.

Before I cry foul, I want to see the 5 teams ranked ahead of UConn against some teams of equal skill and talent. Until I do, I’m very skeptical of these rankings. Geno has often said that he likes being ranked about where they are now. There’s no pressure or targets on their backs ranked that far down. They can just go play. Right now, Baylor is the program in everyone’s cross hairs.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Up to a year ago, a lot of WCBB fans were crying for parity. Well, it’s here. UConn is ranked 6th. If that’s not parity I don’t know what is. They must know something we don’t.

Before I cry foul, I want to see the 5 teams ranked ahead of UConn against some teams of equal skill and talent. Until I do, I’m very skeptical of these rankings. Geno has often said that he likes being ranked about where they are now. There’s no pressure or targets on their backs ranked that far down. They can just go play. Right now, Baylor is the program in everyone’s cross hairs.
I saw part of the Baylor game tonight and while NH isn't that strong of a club, the Bears completely dismantled them! The athleticism they displayed was pretty impressive. :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I saw part of the Baylor game tonight and while NH isn't that strong of a club, the Bears completely dismantled them! The athleticism they displayed was pretty impressive. :)
Any team that has three points at half time, well, just how much competition could that have been? However, I know Baylor is good but I would like to see them play a stronger OOC schedule.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Any team that has three points at half time, well, just how much competition could that have been? However, I know Baylor is good but I would like to see them play a stronger OOC schedule.
Kim seems to have bifurcated her OOC schedule with either really bad schools or pretty good schools-USF, WSU, Indiana are ok, UConn and SC are very good. Other than that though, it’s bad. If she wins the title again, it’s tough to argue against it. It would be nice for her to also step up in the Dawn/Geno philosophy though.
Brenda on the other hand does need to step up her OOC so her team can really measure themselves as a “quality, top-notch” team...

Reaction Score
Yes, and that is a shame. Brenda should look for more challenges for her squad early. Maybe that would prevent some of the head scratching eggs her team lays during the course of the regular season in conference play.

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to take a poll like this seriously when they refuse to give the Pac any respect . . .
I get the wink but...Well, PAC-12 is best women's basketball conference so I am not surprised to see four teams in this top 10 list (not that I agree with order). What is perhaps more significant is the bottom teams in PAC-12 could give any team in the American (excluding UConn of course) a tough game. Last year Colorado lost its best player to injury and very, very nearly beat Stanford.

Reaction Score

I'd like them to play a stronger in-conference schedule. Have you looked at the B12 lately? When UConn played at Okl I read comments (elsewhere) that Okl was a cupcake. Once you get past Texas there isn't much else.

Reaction Score
Kim seems to have bifurcated her OOC schedule with either really bad schools or pretty good schools-USF, WSU, Indiana are ok, UConn and SC are very good. Other than that though, it’s bad. If she wins the title again, it’s tough to argue against it. It would be nice for her to also step up in the Dawn/Geno philosophy though.
Brenda on the other hand does need to step up her OOC so her team can really measure themselves as a “quality, top-notch” team...

Even if Kim wins another title, I would still argue against her scheduling. I think it harms her team in the long run, and I know that it harms WCBB. It's really inexcusable for one of the best programs in the country to consistently schedule a slew of home games against teams ranked 300+.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I get the wink but...Well, PAC-12 is best women's basketball conference so I am not surprised to see four teams in this top 10 list (not that I agree with order). What is perhaps more significant is the bottom teams in PAC-12 could give any team in the American (excluding UConn of course) a tough game. Last year Colorado lost its best player to injury and very, very nearly beat Stanford.

I think what it says that on any given day you never know what will happen. Probably more so in conference games where everybody is well acquainted with the other team's players and playing style. I can assure you Colorado wasn't very good (at least not w/out Leonard, who missed most of the season). Washington beat Duke and Ohio St. (who finished in 5th place at 10-8 in the Big 10) in OOC and Oregon St. in the Pac 12 tourney. I can also assure you UW wasn't very good.

edited--right before UW beat Duke they lost to Tulane by 12, and after the Duke win they turned around and lost to Fordham.

Reaction Score
I just mentioned this in another thread, but Sunday's game between SC and Maryland will be the only top-10 matchup between now and November 30.
Last night the men teams on TV were Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and M State
Baylor and Maryland have to schedule better
WBB fans deserve better

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I just mentioned this in another thread, but Sunday's game between SC and Maryland will be the only top-10 matchup between now and November 30.
And both myself and @MilfordHusky will be there with pen, paper and our discerning eyes on both teams. They are advertising it as a “White Out” which of course means we both will wear our UConn Women’s BB BLUE shirts to the game! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard for me to take a poll like this seriously when they refuse to give the Pac any respect . . .

Exactly. Couldn't CBS Sports have given all Top Four rankings to PAC-12 squads? Having to settle for only three of the top four spots is a bit of a disappointment for us PAC-12 WBB fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom