Castle quote that Solo Ball should paint on his wall. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Castle quote that Solo Ball should paint on his wall.

Reaction Score
What I am saying is that 38 and 39 minutes for Cam and Newton isn't optimum when you have a reserve like Solo. His time is being drastically reduced (2 mins) and I think it is shortsighted. We started using the bench more and were aggressive especially on D last year and we ran other teams down by so doing. This carried through right through to the NC. It's not an "either or thing" (dialectic) We have a deeper and better bench than Providence. Unless there are things we don't know about I think this will hurt us in the long run imo.
DH would rather play experienced players he trusts in tough physical big east games like Providence and Villanova. Not that hard to understand. I'll trust DH's instincts when it comes to PT over the 'yard

Reaction Score
I'm sad that he put me on ignore. I'm not going to be able to make it through the day without reading about how Dan Hurley doesn't play freshman enough for the 800th time

Reaction Score
I can't believe this is still going. It's nonsensical.

His minutes have been cut drastically. There was a large stretch he had to play with Castle out and then again with Clingan out. Now that they are both back he’s hardly seeing the floor. It’s probably too late to get him going at this point.

But I have no doubt once the show is his and he’s being used properly, he’ll show how good of a player he is. Same as Hawkins.

Solo is a nice defensive change of pace from Spencer and Newton. Spencer let a lot of backdoors get him in the 2nd half. Solo usually plays really good defense on guys who end up hitting difficult shots over him anyways. Lol

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There’s an ignore button. Won’t hurt my feelings for you to use it. Are you an idiot for not using it?

Calhoun won 3 championships and people didn’t follow along to everything he did.

Things are nuanced and nobody is perfect. There’s an issue with Solo Ball, im just giving my opinion on what the issue is in a Solo Ball thread about it. This was after earlier in the year I called this exact thing happening when I was complaining about him jacking up those meaningless 3s and he was being encouraged to do so. Sorry to those annoyed that I point that out.

Now we’re here.

Still the #1 team in the country and I don’t see this team not at minimum being final four caliber. So it does feel weird to complain because at the end of the day it’s clearly not going to affect winning. Just think some of the guys Hurley recruits could be even better if he invested in getting them involved earlier.

The only issue with Solo Ball right now is that Spencer, Castle and Diarra are much better at this moment in time. What makes you think Hurley is any less invested in Ball just because of his PT in game which is a fraction of the time the staff spends with him?

You don't like the example and wait and be patient but when that model has proven to be effective for both the program and the players, what else is there to argue?

Reaction Score
The only issue with Solo Ball right now is that Spencer, Castle and Diarra are much better at this moment in time. What makes you think Hurley is any less invested in Ball just because of his PT in game which is a fraction of the time the staff spends with him?

You don't like the example and wait and be patient but when that model has proven to be effective for both the program and the players, what else is there to argue?

It's just this idea that Solo would be crushing it if Hurley "invested" in him by, I guess, giving him more playing time at the expense of better players. We have no idea how these guys are coached, developing, etc. during the 99% of their lives that we don't see. The coaching staff does. And the idea that Solo would be a drastically different player at this point in his college career if his playing time had been different earlier - forget about what he's doing in practice, what he's shown he's capable of - the idea that a few extra minutes of playing time are what determines what kind of player a kid is in early February of his freshman year is just nonsensical. We see an exceedingly limited slice of these kids' day-to-day. This idea that a fan has a better sense of how a kid should be "developed" when he doesn't have any insight into that development process to begin with is just ridiculous.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This idea that a fan has a better sense of how a kid should be "developed" when he doesn't have any insight into that development process to begin with is just ridiculous.
It is, dare I say, downright fanatical.

Reaction Score
Diarra is playing better than expected and that has reduced Ball’s minutes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

It has shown to be effective for one guy who was a lottery pick in Jordan Hawkins. I do not consider Andre Jackson as a developmental success story when a kid that talented leaves with no scoring ability after 3 years as a second round pick. Team success? Absolutely. Individually? I don’t think he received any awards and was not a first rounder. It’s cringe to try to prop that up as a developmental success. Samson Johnson is most likely not going to be a first rounder either and after 3 years can’t get in position to grab rebounds. He is not a developmental success at this point.

It's just this idea that Solo would be crushing it if Hurley "invested" in him by, I guess, giving him more playing time at the expense of better players. We have no idea how these guys are coached, developing, etc. during the 99% of their lives that we don't see. The coaching staff does. And the idea that Solo would be a drastically different player at this point in his college career if his playing time had been different earlier - forget about what he's doing in practice, what he's shown he's capable of - the idea that a few extra minutes of playing time are what determines what kind of player a kid is in early February of his freshman year is just nonsensical. We see an exceedingly limited slice of these kids' day-to-day. This idea that a fan has a better sense of how a kid should be "developed" when he doesn't have any insight into that development process to begin with is just ridiculous.
I don’t think Solo’s success is about playing time. He was simply put in a role that did not fit his game and I have called that out since the beginning of the year. Hurley has had press conferences that urged Solo to shoot more and hardly talked about his ability to slash which he should’ve been doing from day 1.

Now we’re at a point where he can’t do neither effectively and yes, other guys 100% deserve more playing time than he does because of it. But that’s because he’s been focused on the wrong things to try and fit the offense instead of having the offense fit him. Just like Andre.

Andre is an example of Hurley not investing in actually seeing what works for a guy until they are a main player. We spent 2 and a half years trying to make him a spot up shooter. It took until things were falling apart to teach him how to attack the basket when that should’ve been taught to him immediately.

Grabbing onto a second rounder as a shining example of development seems far more promotional than authentic seeing the very big flaws in his game despite him being well known for his great attitude and work ethic.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I think players 38 and and 39 minutes is running scared of a loss and is reverting back to the old "7 man rotation" that for some reason is so popular on this board (and at times with DH). You think Solo is that much of a liability even to come in for 3-4 minutes each to give them a breather down the stretch even if it is more of a defensive replacement? What we can't see is that Cam and Newton might have played BETTER with a short rest. I can see your side of the argument but I just don't agree with it; that's all.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It has shown to be effective for one guy who was a lottery pick in Jordan Hawkins. I do not consider Andre Jackson as a developmental success story when a kid that talented leaves with no scoring ability after 3 years as a second round pick. Team success? Absolutely. Individually? I don’t think he received any awards and was not a first rounder. It’s cringe to try to prop that up as a developmental success. Samson Johnson is most likely not going to be a first rounder either and after 3 years can’t get in position to grab rebounds. He is not a developmental success at this point.

Every single player who has been in this program has gotten better after each season. You're focusing on Hawkins and Jackson (for whatever reason you in spite of being in the NBA is 'cringe' to cite as an example) and ignoring everyone else. If your measure of success is a 1st round pick, that's going to be a pretty lofty goal.

I think players 38 and and 39 minutes is running scared of a loss and is reverting back to the old "7 man rotation" that for some reason is so popular on this board (and at times with DH). You think Solo is that much of a liability even to come in for 3-4 minutes each to give them a breather down the stretch even if it is more of a defensive replacement? What we can't see is that Cam and Newton might have played BETTER with a short rest. I can see your side of the argument but I just don't agree with it; that's all.

I never said anything about Ball being a liability. I suspect that the best coach in college basketball has a better feel for it than me or anyone else on here, so I'm fine deferring to him.

Reaction Score
I think we might see more Ball as NCAA tourney play begins.
I'm confused. Can you explain that further? When one and done games come you think Hurley will play a bench player more? Doesn't he usually shorten the bench time when tournament play begins? Or are you saying there are going to be a lot of blowouts like last year and the bench will get to play more because of that?

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Andre Johnson Jr gotten any run? I mean c'mon now, he sounds like a combination of Andre Jackson Jr and Samson Johnson. Why has Andrew Hurley played twice as many minutes as Andre? And then something about Hawkins yada, yada, yada

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm confused. Can you explain that further? When one and done games come you think Hurley will play a bench player more? Doesn't he usually shorten the bench time when tournament play begins? Or are you saying there are going to be a lot of blowouts like last year and the bench will get to play more because of that?
I think that playing the bench ultimately creates the blowouts. I believe the bench is an integral part of the team. Not a bunch of afterthoughts when any game is close. I think a great way to avoid criticism is to run your best players into the ground because that seems to be less of a risk (and thus less a subject of criticism). In other words I think DH is playing the short game (today) which is the "safe" game instead instead of utilizing all of his assets and yes I think the bench is an asset and not a liability. Unlike tournaments when there is no tomorrow there is a tomorrow here. Also, don't think that the recruits and their suitors don't see the short rotation. Admittedly this bench does not have the experience of last years team but how it is utilized may very well affect recruiting.

We don't know the whole picture and thus there is a lot of speculation by everyone on the BY because we simply do not have all the facts and/or don't know what DH knows and is thinking. I'm just fine with that but this has been a tendency of his in the past.

Maybe his strategy will be gambling on the portal and less on recruiting after what happened to our would be recruits who wound up with Duke instead of us. We shall see.

I think we all want them to win badly but we also want them to continue winning and remain a powerhouse every year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Every single player who has been in this program has gotten better after each season. You're focusing on Hawkins and Jackson (for whatever reason you in spite of being in the NBA is 'cringe' to cite as an example) and ignoring everyone else. If your measure of success is a 1st round pick, that's going to be a pretty lofty goal.

I never said anything about Ball being a liability. I suspect that the best coach in college basketball has a better feel for it than me or anyone else on here, so I'm fine deferring to him.
We just have different expectations if 1st rounders aren’t a measure for development success for players that have the talent to do so. And that’s fine.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We just have different expectations if 1st rounders aren’t a measure for development success for players that have the talent to do so. And that’s fine.

The "talent to do so" as measured by who - you

Who else should have been a 1st round pick? Jackson got drafted in the NBA in 2024 with a worse jump shot than most pick up players - that's a testament in of itself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Castle is 7-20 from 3 pt land over the past 7 games.

35% and about 3 attempts per game.

Those numbers are plenty fine and I expect he's going to be making 1 or 2 per game going forward.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We all have our pet theories and preferences. I might believe Andrew Hurley could go for 20 in a 1/16 game. I'd never be so narcissistic as to suggest that DH is wrong for not sharing my view. I'm in the "he probably knows what he's doing" camp.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The "talent to do so" as measured by who - you

Who else should have been a 1st round pick? Jackson got drafted in the NBA in 2024 with a worse jump shot than most pick up players - that's a testament in of itself.
Okay so you think Andre isn’t that talented and that scoring is something that can’t be coached. Got it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2-2 today from 3.

Now 10-22 over past 8 games.

10-31 for the season.

He's going to shoot 35% from 3 for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
2-2 today from 3.

Now 10-22 over past 8 games.

10-31 for the season.

He's going to shoot 35% from 3 for the rest of the season.
I'll go over. Percentage still has room to make up for the bad start to the season.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Ball is going to terrorize the BE next year. This is all prep for him to do that.
He is an elite athlete. Has good instincts. If he does not get sufficient minutes let's hope he doesn't
terrorize the BE on another team because many teams would covet him. Teams like just about all of them including Rickey boy who just got his a__ kicked in his home town.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Don't worry, Hurley's got this. Communication is the key.

Freshman Jayden Ross saw some minutes early in the season, but is now one of the last players off the bench. Hurley believes the athletic, energetic forward has bought in to the idea that his future is still bright in Storrs.

"We try to stay in the ears and the minds of all of our young players," the coach said. "You're currently in a program that, for the last season-and-a-half, has done college basketball better than anyone else has done it, in terms of winning. But also, from a player development standpoint, this is a pretty good program to be in. But you've got to pay your dues. Andre (Jackson Jr.) did it early in his career, Jordan Hawkins did it early on in his career. You've got to just trust us. I don't think there's a better place to be than this place is for Jaylin (Stewart) and Jayden and Solo (Ball) and Youssouf (Singare). They're probably all not playing as much as they'd like to, but you're in one of the premiere places you can play, with a coaching staff that is truly committed to these guys."

The question from a media member starts at about 13:30 of this video.

That kind of speech plays well in the pre portal days but that was then and this is now. It's a gamble any way you look at it now. The portal works both ways. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The bench did not often come in because it was a blowout last year. They came and helped cause it. Calcaterra on offense. Alleyne on defense and at times on offense. Clingan both ways. And most importantly being fresh they helped run down the mostly 7 man rotations they were facing. That why they trounced everyone down the stretch after Hurley figured it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom