Castle quote that Solo Ball should paint on his wall. | The Boneyard

Castle quote that Solo Ball should paint on his wall.

Reaction Score
“I really don’t try and hunt shots, I just really try to play through the offense,” Castle said. “I see how they’re guarding me and I just try not to settle and don’t allow that to stop me from getting (to the) paint and playing my game.”

Solo could make a difference in the paint the way Castle and Spenczar do. He has a nice little close in game. He has hit short jumpers when he puts himself in a position to take one. There is an entire court out there, he has the game (and the body with his 7-foot wingspan) to use it, and stop settling for outside shots.

Reaction Score
“I really don’t try and hunt shots, I just really try to play through the offense,” Castle said. “I see how they’re guarding me and I just try not to settle and don’t allow that to stop me from getting (to the) paint and playing my game.”

Solo could make a difference in the paint the way Castle and Spenczar do. He has a nice little close in game. He has hit short jumpers when he puts himself in a position to take one. There is an entire court out there, he has the game (and the body with his 7-foot wingspan) to use it, and stop settling for outside shots.
Yeah it still baffles me that he is fine just sitting at the 3 pt line with his athleticism and decent handle. He came in as an aggressive player that can go to the hoop but besides a couple early season games I haven't seen it an it is to his detriment as he really isn't involved in the game. Hurley has dropped his minutes accordingly due to this lack of aggressiveness.

Reaction Score
That’s most IQ. You can not teach it or flip it on like switch. AK is inserted into the starting line and never looked back. As a matter of fact, Hurley once said that I cannot run the offense sets without a player like AK, or something to that effect. Castle is another freshmen that has it. We are so lucky to have them together.

Reaction Score
He's shooting 41% at the rim, until he improves on that I'm fine with what he's been doing

Reaction Score
He is playing through the offense like the rest of his teammates.When he needs to step up he'll be ready.
He has the talent and maturity to handle his roll.

Reaction Score
I don't think he does. at least not consistently. It appears that when the ball leaves his hand he is unsure what to do next, or has to think about it. Noticed him in the Xavier game make a pass and follow it with a sharp decisive cut to the basket. When he does that, or drives like that, he and we will be tough to handle.

Experience and confidence are lacking, but it is a Catch 22, the less he gets it, the less he'll play. Hopefully the kind of movement we saw in that one play against Xavier becomes the rule, not the exception.

Reaction Score
Solo settled into being too much of a “3 and D” guy. Castles quote and the OP are spot on.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Love " Spenczar"...he should market it

Reaction Score
It's the time of the year that rotations thin out and teams end up playing their key guys.

Solo Ball not being a part of the rotation has more to do with how well Spencer, Castle and Hassan have been playing.

Long term, I'm super excited of what Ball can do next year and beyond.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Solo settled into being too much of a “3 and D” guy. Castles quote and the OP are spot on.
This. That was his role at the beginning of the year unfortunately. Most of this board wanted him to take as many 3s as possible for “reps” purposes during the OOC and Hurley encouraged it as well.

This is the result now. Next year when he has more responsibility and freedom to make plays he’ll be fine though. Just doubt he finds his way at this point with the vets in front of him and limited opportunity to find his footing.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hassan playing lights out and Steph getting healthy is what dropped Solo’s minutes
Spencer and Newton played 39 and 38 minutes last night. If Solo was playing well enough there’s no reason he couldn’t help get those down closer to 30 minutes for both of them.

Reaction Score
Spencer and Newton played 39 and 38 minutes last night. If Solo was playing well enough there’s no reason he couldn’t help get those down closer to 30 minutes for both of them.
Solo has played well enough to have minutes, but that game was a war. Cam and Newton were not coming off the floor during the foul fest that was going on in the second half. UCONN won that game on the line, with Newton and Cam hitting a total of 18 FTs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Solo has played well enough to have minutes, but that game was a war. Cam and Newton were not coming off the floor during the foul fest that was going on in the second half. UCONN won that game on the line, with Newton and Cam hitting a total of 18 FTs.
If you can’t trust a guy to play in a close game, then he isn’t playing well enough lol.

We can’t say a moment or game is too big for someone and then on the other hand say there’s nothing wrong.

Reaction Score
Solo has to get at least some minutes. He has too much athleticism and talent to waste and we want him back next year. PT is the bogeyman for players moving.
Given the likely losses to NBA at year end and what's coming in, playing time won't be an issue for Ball next season. He still needs to earn it, but he will get plenty of PT if he does.

Reaction Score
Yeah it still baffles me that he is fine just sitting at the 3 pt line with his athleticism and decent handle. He came in as an aggressive player that can go to the hoop but besides a couple early season games I haven't seen it an it is to his detriment as he really isn't involved in the game. Hurley has dropped his minutes accordingly due to this lack of aggressiveness.
Still had the best blocked shot of the year.

Reaction Score
Problem his D hasn't been that great. He is just a 3 pt guy right now.

Reaction Score
Guys chill out. Castle and Ball are obviously two totally different players. Couple of things to consider here:

1. We have no idea what Hurley has told Ball to do offensively out there. Maybe he gave him a total green light for three, etc. I'm sure he's not discouraging him from getting to the rim once in awhile but who knows what his actual instructions are
2. Freshmen without handles as good as Castle take awhile to get confidence to drive straight north and south, let alone actually beat guys off the dribble. Remember Hawkins? Hawkins at least played on a team without a total target on his back and without crazy expectations, so he could take some risks. Solo dribbling now is far down the list of things I want to see happen on offense

Long story short - I think he'll be fine, I think his shooting stroke looks good, I think once he adjusts to not just being able to athlete his way by everyone like HS he'll be fine at getting to the rim, and I think he deserves a couple more minutes a game.

Reaction Score

Yeah im a bit disappointed in SB. Far too much talent there to not make a bigger impact on this team. Hes built like a mack truck for a guard, he can shoot the ball and hes a high tier athlete. His problem is between his ears. I dont know what it may be but its in his head because the physical talent is all there.

Reaction Score
Way too early for this kind of speculation
Not saying it is happening at all but lack of PT moves kids. We all know that. Next year room opens up PT so it's not a problem in all liklihood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom