Caroline Ducharme making strong first impression | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline Ducharme making strong first impression

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding Griffin, I wonder if GA was halfway through a bottle of wine when he came out with that. And regarding Ducharme, I think she’ll be a Swiss Army knife who does a lot that won’t necessarily show up in stats. Except shots. She’s going to make some shots. Oh, btw this Penelope Cruz must be pretty good. Who else is recruiting her?
Definitely. I had originally had Saylor pegged for that Swiss army knife role because she had a better defensive took kit. But with Saylor having two major injures (Hip surgery & back fracture) she will need some time to mend. Caroline has a real opportunity here.

Reaction Score
It must have been a good year ago that someone here posted a podcast where Caroline was just talking ball with a couple of guys. Took about two seconds to tell that she was a natural. Then I caught that short tape of game action where she's knocking in 3's from all over. But that was HS. Now against her college peers she opening eyes from the get-go? Looks like they have a another good one. And if she can hit 3's at this level with her size, she will see plenty of court time from the get-go.

I don't expect Caroline to get much time in big games her frosh year. She has 4 players ahead of her if you consider the 2/3 positions and five players ahead of her if you consider Nika as the PG. The combo of Nika and Paige and Azzi,- or CW and even EW at the 2/3- is probably just better than her in her frosh year. Of course this assumes all 5 are healthy. And if Dorka is very good on the perimeter then with Edwards in- you can have Griffin and/or Mir the capability of filling the 3 okay. Maybe not great offensively but certainly in terms of potential- that defense can possibly compete with anyone.

I just think sometimes there is a push to get a little ahead of ourselves with these freshmen (other than the superstars). Look at Saylor last year; so many thought she was a possible answer. Saylor is a terrific talent but UCONN was an elite top 4 team. The chances of her stepping in on an elite team during the season and becoming an answer wasn't realistic. Not her fault - not one bit. As you mentioned on that other Saylor thread that you didn't realize that it was even "a thing," - I felt the same way. I didn't know there was "a thing" either. How can she be criticized? Heck, even Nika as a frosh bricked everything for quite a while early until she found her rhythm. Walker who turned out to be an A/A and is now in the WNBA bricked many, many, many shots her frosh year.

So unless there are injuries - it's good for Caroline that UCONN is in the Big East to a degree. Paige and CW and Azzi etc won't have to play as much because games will be wipeouts much earlier than last year. That's where I see her time. But hey-- if she beats out some of the names I mentioned - well hey great for UCONN basketball, right? I wouldn't bet on it. Just need patience with these younger players. Geno didn't recruit that well and/or able to keep players prior to last year for 3 years. That's been their biggest Achilles heel. Rushing non-superstar freshmen is not the best answer when trying to win titles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like you already decided that Caroline is a non-superstar. I bet she gets plenty of time in big games.
You think she's a superstar? I hope you're right but I think this is the same thing that happened with Saylor last year. I'd bet you but frankly I think we only care that they win.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ducharme ≠ Poffenbarger
I don't know what this is a response to, but I was wondering what are the similarities and differences in their games. This question is for anybody. Can you see them both in the same lineup?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You think she's a superstar? I hope you're right but I think this is the same thing that happened with Saylor last year. I'd bet you but frankly I think we only care that they win.
I think one player's situation has nothing to do with another. I think Ducharme has all the tools, mentally and physically. She doesn't need to be babied. If she goes almost anywhere else she's starting the first game and never sitting unless she's in foul trouble. I think her 3 point shooting will get her on the court for starters. She'll build her college game from there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As Thumper's father said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all."
The other fatherly school of thought:

1626044985606.png

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I Assume this post toastie was a parody to improve u r payin attestation. Duh.
speak kindly please

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The poster you are mocking is a young UConn fan in France, for whom English is a second language (at best). I guarantee your image from that exchange is suffering worse than hers.
Just wondering. How do you know this person is a female and that she is in France, by her avatar? I guess that makes sense. As for Caroline, when this season's recruits were first talked about, aside from Fudd, Poffenbarger and DeBerry were the most talked about and most prized. Ducharme seemed to be just a throw in who was a friend of the others. Not much seemed to be expected of her. Evidently that is not the case.

Reaction Score
Just wondering. How do you know this person is a female and that she is in France, by her avatar? I guess that makes sense. As for Caroline, when this season's recruits were first talked about, aside from Fudd, Poffenbarger and DeBerry were the most talked about and most prized. Ducharme seemed to be just a throw in who was a friend of the others. Not much seemed to be expected of her. Evidently that is not the case.
She introduced herself when she first started posting here.

Reaction Score
I think one player's situation has nothing to do with another. I think Ducharme has all the tools, mentally and physically. She doesn't need to be babied. If she goes almost anywhere else she's starting the first game and never sitting unless she's in foul trouble. I think her 3 point shooting will get her on the court for starters. She'll build her college game from there.

The two situations have a lot of similarities because of fans expectations. That's the point of Saylor and the point of Ducharme. I hope you're right but I can't recall one number 6 type of UCONN recruit that was a superstar in their frosh year. Why this one? Because Geno threw out a few lines during the summer? So those few sentences in a summer league we take to the bank for the entire year?

I had a chance to watch one of her summer game go against Patterson and she couldn't hit. She had the same type of problems I would expect from a young player. Not consistent and bothered by another's athleticism. It's only 1 game can't take it to the bank but that's exactly the the type of player I'd expect for nearly any freshman ranked around 6 whom I would say doesn't have elite athleticism.

But more importantly, who is she going to beat out? Definitely not Paige, Azzi or CWill, right? So you're saying she is going to beat out Nika? Or Evina? Or both? I can't imagine Nika not getting a decent amount of minutes because of her elite passing. So unless she can't shoot she is going to get time. And certainly with Evina's experience, she is going to get time. She's a WNBA prospect. As is Dorka. If Dorka shows she's capable this means less minutes for Evina at the PF and more at the 1-3. .

So in big games unless UCONN is going to win comfortably, who is she going to beat out?

It's not one thing from above but t's the accumulation of 3 with mostly - who is going to sit for her minutes when UCONN is already great at the combo of 1-3 positions- if their 5 of Paige, Azzi, Evina, CWill, and Nika are healthy?

I hope you're right she is a superstar as a frosh. But last year many were calling Saylor a sharp shooter - and she wasn't. Though injury probably had a ton to do with it. It's just that next year I don't want Ducharme to be "the next thing" that this past year Saylor supposedly was but it should never have been either.
Ducharme shouldn't be "the thing" next year if she doesn't breeak into the lineup in big games this year either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The two situations have a lot of similarities because of fans expectations....
Ducharme shouldn't be "the thing" next year if she doesn't breeak into the lineup in big games this year either.
So what you are basically saying is not only shouldn't Ducharme play this year, she shouldn't play next year either. And you say this based on another player, who was injured, getting off to a rough start. I'm sorry I just can't reach you.

ADD: I hope you're right she is a superstar as a frosh. And for the record, I never said this or anything close to this. I hate when people quote you incorrectly, then comment on their own misquote. It's bad faith.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It remains to be seen how good CD can be. If you look at her play in a vacuum, she looks little like an elite hoops player - a bit gawky and awkward. Then you watch her in actual games - she's good at everything, and great at scoring.

Superstar? Those are terms generally reserved for Dee, Sue, Tina, Maya, Stewie, Paige, and probably Azzi. But really really good? I think she can be every bit as good as Phee or Lou were in college. Will she be? No idea. But IMHO she has the potential.

BTW - you won't be able to judge any of the players not named Azzi and Paige based on scoring/assists, etc. This team is so loaded with talent that it's doubtful anyone eclipses 20 PPG average. So I don't think it's a question of her breaking into the lineup in a big way as a freshman. But I have no idea how Geno will distribute the minutes this season. A problem I'm not sure he's ever had before - almost too much talent.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don't know what this is a response to, but I was wondering what are the similarities and differences in their games. This question is for anybody. Can you see them both in the same lineup?
They both have a lot of the same traits and abilities. With the talent on UCONN I think with a healthy rooster it is very unlikely that both would be on the court at the same time with the game on the line. We will soon be able to find out in more detail how similar or different their games are and how Geno feels if they are a 1. 2. or 3 position player.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
BTW - you won't be able to judge any of the players not named Azzi and Paige based on scoring/assists, etc. This team is so loaded with talent that it's doubtful anyone eclipses 20 PPG average. So I don't think it's a question of her breaking into the lineup in a big way as a freshman. But I have no idea how Geno will distribute the minutes this season. A problem I'm not sure he's ever had before - almost too much talent.
Now there is a refreshing statement. For my tastes, there are too many assertions predicting exactly who will start, who will play X number of minutes and take away playing time from which teammates. And such certainties too often based on brief video snippets from high-school games against so-so competition, or highly speculative opinions about the progress they will make in the months and seasons ahead. Entertaining, yes. Informative, not much.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen how good CD can be. If you look at her play in a vacuum, she looks little like an elite hoops player - a bit gawky and awkward. Then you watch her in actual games - she's good at everything, and great at scoring.

Superstar? Those are terms generally reserved for Dee, Sue, Tina, Maya, Stewie, Paige, and probably Azzi. But really really good? I think she can be every bit as good as Phee or Lou were in college. Will she be? No idea. But IMHO she has the potential.

I think both Paige and Azzi will be just above 20 ppg: 20.2 and 20.1, with CW around 15 ppg, with Dorka at 11.2 ppg, and AE at 10.4 ppg, all others will be single digit averages unless the team AVERAGES >100 ppg. I'm thinking 92.73 ppg...

PvP

Reaction Score
The poster you are mocking is a young UConn fan in France, for whom English is a second language (at best). I guarantee your image from that exchange is suffering worse than hers.
Apparently you are unfamiliar with the English word parody. It doesn't imply derision and apparently the young Parisienne took no offense as, unlike you, none was intended.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think both Paige and Azzi will be just above 20 ppg: 20.2 and 20.1, with CW around 15 ppg, with Dorka at 11.2 ppg, and AE at 10.4 ppg, all others will be single digit averages unless the team AVERAGES >100 ppg. I'm thinking 92.73 ppg...
:eek: Has the NCAA (Men or Women) ever had a pair of teammates each average more than 20 PPG in the same season?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ducharme not equal to a superstar.
Like you, I have no idea, but being the fifth ranked prospect out of high school certainly speaks well for her.

For what it’s worth, Caroline is an excellent three point shooter, beating Azzi in a recent three point shooting contest. (Of course Azzi was in a boot at the time, but all the other contestants were not.)

I think Caroline is going to find some time this year as instant offense for UConn. My big concern for her is can she play defense against more mature D1 college players. That and the fact that this is an incredibly deep team may limit her minutes, but I have no doubt that she will contribute at Connecticut.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The two situations have a lot of similarities because of fans expectations. That's the point of Saylor and the point of Ducharme. I hope you're right but I can't recall one number 6 type of UCONN recruit that was a superstar in their frosh year. Why this one? Because Geno threw out a few lines during the summer? So those few sentences in a summer league we take to the bank for the entire year?

I had a chance to watch one of her summer game go against Patterson and she couldn't hit. She had the same type of problems I would expect from a young player. Not consistent and bothered by another's athleticism. It's only 1 game can't take it to the bank but that's exactly the the type of player I'd expect for nearly any freshman ranked around 6 whom I would say doesn't have elite athleticism.

But more importantly, who is she going to beat out? Definitely not Paige, Azzi or CWill, right? So you're saying she is going to beat out Nika? Or Evina? Or both? I can't imagine Nika not getting a decent amount of minutes because of her elite passing. So unless she can't shoot she is going to get time. And certainly with Evina's experience, she is going to get time. She's a WNBA prospect. As is Dorka. If Dorka shows she's capable this means less minutes for Evina at the PF and more at the 1-3. .

So in big games unless UCONN is going to win comfortably, who is she going to beat out?

It's not one thing from above but t's the accumulation of 3 with mostly - who is going to sit for her minutes when UCONN is already great at the combo of 1-3 positions- if their 5 of Paige, Azzi, Evina, CWill, and Nika are healthy?

I hope you're right she is a superstar as a frosh. But last year many were calling Saylor a sharp shooter - and she wasn't. Though injury probably had a ton to do with it. It's just that next year I don't want Ducharme to be "the next thing" that this past year Saylor supposedly was but it should never have been either.
Not a single poster Including you called Saylor a sharpshooter last year.

This is part of what you wrote:
" Anna and CWill were regarded as good shooters or even better - along with Evina who is pretty good- and now we consider them "worst Geno has ever had" as Geno puts it. :) Now These other college players are no longer someone UCONN can rely on but a H/S player who has been out of hoop for a long time is going to step in and be a super shooter for an elite WCBB program? And I'll just reiterate again I did not read she (Saylor) was sharpshooter. She was very good but not a sharpshooter. Maybe what I read is wrong. We'll see. If my skepticism proves unfounded then she may play right away in some big games but I think as me and few others have said – imo we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves in our expectation for her. But hey if she is awesome then do it!!!! :)"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom