Cardoso to miss Gamecocks game with UConn? | The Boneyard

Cardoso to miss Gamecocks game with UConn?

Reaction Score
According to a thread on the South Carolina board, it sounds like she might be called up for the Brazilian national team when the Huskies come to town. Curious to see what everyone thinks about the matchup without South Carolina's 6'7 center.

Reaction Score
Dawn gave a weird comment during her latest interview when a reporter asked about this. She said it would be a "game time decision". I wonder if she will be returning early from the Olympic qualifiers if Brazil punches their ticket prior to the last qualifier on Monday. So I wonder if it is a possibility that Cardoso will be on the bench but tired and jetlagged...thus the "game time decision" comment.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Dawn gave a weird comment during her latest interview when a reporter asked about this. She said it would be a "game time decision". I wonder if she will be returning early from the Olympic qualifiers if Brazil punches their ticket prior to the last qualifier on Monday. So I wonder if it is a possibility that Cardoso will be on the bench but tired and jetlagged...thus the "game time decision" comment.
It's quite feasible, given the schedule and the competition, that Brazil may have its spot clinched after its 2nd game on Feb. 10. Brazil only needs to avoid finishing last in the group of 4, and Germany is the heavy underdog in the group. If Brazil wins its first 2 games against Australia and Serbia, or if Brazil goes 1-1 while Germany goes 0-2, then the Feb. 11 game will be irrelevant. I'm sure this is where the "game time decision" would come in.

Reaction Score
It's quite feasible, given the schedule and the competition, that Brazil may have its spot clinched after its 2nd game on Feb. 10. Brazil only needs to avoid finishing last in the group of 4, and Germany is the heavy underdog in the group. If Brazil wins its first 2 games against Australia and Serbia, or if Brazil goes 1-1 while Germany goes 0-2, then the Feb. 11 game will be irrelevant. I'm sure this is where the "game time decision" would come in.
I posted about this in the Gamecocks regular season Part 2 thread. Brazil’s 2nd game versus Serbia Sat, Feb 10 tips off at 8pm local time, 6pm EST. The game will end at approximately 10pm local/8pm EST Saturday night. If Cardoso flies commercial airlines there is no way for her to get to Columbia in time for tipoff at 2pm EST Sunday afternoon. The flight distance from Belem, Brazil to Columbia, SC is 3,235 statute miles. If Cardoso travels home via charter then, assuming the charter plane has sufficient range, she could conceivably get to Columbia in 6-7 hours of flight time plus the time on either end to get from the Stadium to the airport, clear customs on both ends and travel to the arena. She’d have to be exhausted by then and would seemingly be at risk of injury. Not to mention the cost of the charter flight. I find it unlikely she plays Brazil’s second game and plays against UConn.

I think the only possible scenario where Cardoso plays in the qualifying tournament AND the UConn vs SC game is Cardoso playing in Brazil’s tournament opener Thursday, February 8 versus Germany. If Brazil wins by a big margin Brazil can release her to fly home Friday, February 9. She then becomes available for the UConn game February 11.

I believe Cardoso will play for Team Brazil in all three of its games in the Olympic qualifying tournament and miss the UConn game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t believe she will play against UConn either. Sania Feagin’s minutes at the 5 have been going up the last few games. She played really well last night, especially on defense, and she has always been a very efficient offensive player. It’s my guess that she’s going to get a lot of play between now and then in preparation for Kamilla’s absence. Even without Kamilla, we have a stable of very talented post players. Some combo of Sania/Ashlynn/Chloe/Walker will just have to get it done.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think SC has depth to manage without Cardoso since Watkins is so good off the bench, but it'll definitely be a loss for SC. Cardoso tore up UCONN last year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not really a big loss in the context of this game IMO. SC has an abundance of depth this year, the kind of depth that UConn fans were dreaming about until 5 season ending injuries laid those dreams to waste. Playing at home, SC will be fine without her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's be honest here, she "tore up " a team decimated by injuries not really gloat worthy
Not gloating, just stating facts about how her presence could be missed for this matchup. She was a huge part in turning the game around for SC last season. SC’s depth should carry them in the front court but if Watkins has an off night or gets into foul trouble, the post defense suddenly becomes a lot thinner than it would’ve been with Cardoso.

Reaction Score
Why thank you. I love being adorable. But who is "complaining?"

Are you suggesting, with any seriousness, that (for ANY team) losing your top scorer and rebounder for a game against a top 5 opponent is not "significant?"
Respectfully I think this is more of a read the room situation. Losing your top scorer and rebounder to national team obligations to a Connecticut-pro audience who every year loses 3-4 impact player due to no fault of their own injuries is a lop-sided juxtaposition at best.

Kamilla being out is significant though, I agree with that sentiment.

Reaction Score
Respectfully I think this is more of a read the room situation. Losing your top scorer and rebounder to national team obligations to a Connecticut-pro audience who every year loses 3-4 impact player due to no fault of their own injuries is a lop-sided juxtaposition at best.

The losing 3-4 impact players every year isn't what has happened. Losing 3-4 impact players in recent years is a better description of what's happened at UConn.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why thank you. I love being adorable. But who is "complaining?"

Are you suggesting, with any seriousness, that (for ANY team) losing your top scorer and rebounder for a game against a top 5 opponent is not "significant?"
No I am suggesting that complaining about the loss of a player on a Connecticut website at best seems tone deaf and at worst seems like a preemptive excuse regarding our upcoming matchup.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Reaction Score
Who's "gloating?" @bballnut is not a Gamecock fan

Weeeeellllllll, Anytime a team with a roster of only 11 loses a starter, it's fairly significant. Y'all have forgotten how small our roster is. It's especially significant if she is the team's leading scorer and rebounder. Her BIG backup at the true 5 spot is not ready for this type of game. She is the 11th player into the game and has played few minutes that were not mop up minutes. Trust me, she's not any more ready than DeBerry. Without Kamilla we have only three game-ready bigs.

Kamilla's first replacement is our 6th woman, 6'3' Ashlyn Watkins - a natural 4 instead of a 5. She is a tremendous athlete but her skills are unpolished, Her biggest strength is jumping and blocking ability. She averages 3 blocks per game as a non-starter average less than 20 mpg. She is also a solid rebounder at 10 per game, Impressive? Yeah, but she is also foul prone due to her aggressiveness.. I would expect Geno to challenge her early and often especially since she is a poor free throw shooter and you don't have to worry about fouling her.

Behind her is Saniya Feagin, putting her in at 5 would meaning nobody is there to back up Chloe Kitts at the 4. I know that you guys also have a shorter roster than us.
Uconn has 2 bigs and they don't usually play on the floor at the same time, both of which are playing out of position. You could show up blind folded with hands tied behind your back and escape with an easy win. The match up is too much for this UConn team.

Reaction Score
No, I wouldn't have posted it in the UConn forum side of this message board. Though this is a UConn board, most of the UConn fans who frequent the General are not as . . . uhm . . . maybe I'd better start over. As a general matter, our roster of 11 is a small roster. UConn has a roster of 14. Yes, those 14 have been more than decimated at this time

again, I’ll ask “who’s complaining” i’m not. I’m merely stating fact that UConn has a shotand trying to present it evenly instead of as an overt homer

Would you rather me say: sorry UConn doesn’t have a chance against us even if she is out because we’ve still got the best ten players in the planet” when I don’t believe that to be true?

Yes, it’s a UConn forum and I’m appreciative of it being here, but note that this is the General board - not the UConn board.

Not sure how I have offended in pointing out how her loss would affect us and that Geno may seek to exploit her position

Re exploiting the position, Edwards has a lot of experience which could work in her favour in this situation. I see where you're coming from in this regard.

Reaction Score

This is an excellent example of NOT "reading the room". If the loss of Cardoso is agreed to be significant, and this thread is for participation of South Carolina Gamecock fans, then South Carolina Gamecock fans should have the right to admit that the loss of Cardoso is significant, without having finger-waving at them automatically. Lets allow for free and open discussion, please.

Its like Londoners upbraiding Californians for lamenting a rainy day - sure, Londoners deal with lousy weather all the time, but Californians have the right to be unhappy about a rainy day, when they are legitimately unhappy about a rainy day. It's a simple statement of fact, that seems to be agreed with from all corners of the discussion....

Reaction Score
Uconn has 2 bigs and they don't usually play on the floor at the same time, both of which are playing out of position. You could show up blind folded with hands tied behind your back and escape with an easy win. The match up is too much for this UConn team.

Really???? :eek:

Reaction Score
Ah, so you're getting on a Connecticut board to tell us that we "have a shot at beating you" because one of your players is out, in a season when we've lost several including two starters?

I see. How magnanimous of you!
I’m out.

Reaction Score
This is an excellent example of NOT "reading the room". If the loss of Cardoso is agreed to be significant, and this thread is for participation of South Carolina Gamecock fans, then South Carolina Gamecock fans should have the right to admit that the loss of Cardoso is significant, without having finger-waving at them automatically. Lets allow for free and open discussion, please.

Its like Londoners upbraiding Californians for lamenting a rainy day - sure, Londoners deal with lousy weather all the time, but Californians have the right to be unhappy about a rainy day, when they are legitimately unhappy about a rainy day. It's a simple statement of fact, that seems to be agreed with from all corners of the discussion....
I agree here, I am giving context on why the reaction is the reaction, all respectfully. I think we are having a free and open discussion now, right? Given how unlucky UConn has been in recent years with even having bodies on the court not receiving any adverse reaction to this topic here would be odd.

I like your metaphor - but also, you can't blame Londoners for complaining while they're in London.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't blame you... This argument about who has it worse off is ... odd. :confused:
Like real estate location matters. Getting on a Connecticut board to whine about having one player temporarily out instead of having two starters and two key bigs out for the season is, to put it mildly, tone deaf. But to add to that "well, since we are temporarily missing one of our bigs, you guys might have a shot at beating us" is just being an ass.hole, in my humble opinion, and out of character with the vast majority of South Carolina fans who stop by.

So yeah, it is a read the room kind of a thing.

Reaction Score
This is an absolutely ridiculous take
How so? South Carolina is a terrible match up for UConn with or without Cardoso, especially on the road. UConn can only win again small, slower teams as Geno has implied. That’s not South Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom