Can We Expect a Turnaround Next Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can We Expect a Turnaround Next Year?

Reaction Score
Agree, but do you have any evidence that UConn has not done that? I suspect they have with Welliver.
I highly doubt UCONN shelled out $500,000 to a 3 star high school recruit. Don’t doubt he got NIL money but I highly doubt it was a ton.

I’m saying we need a current solid college starting qb in the portal.

Reaction Score
If this is your idea of enjoyment, then your life must truly suck. Seeing Rule #1 replayed time and again during the off-season, and then its corollary again and again on the gridiron during the season is your idea of fun? You must have a VERY high tolerance for frustration (not to mention your tolerance for losing). ;)

We still have 7 games. It’s a long offseason.

I enjoy the season more than the offseason, like most normal people.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we’ll be better right now, but you can bet your butt, many of us will be convinced of it by next August. It’s just part of being a UConn football fan. It’s an abusive relationship in which the abuser always convinces the victims that he’ll do better next time.

Reaction Score
we should only offer boatloads of NIL to someone who is worth it.

Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton are worth a book of Wendy’s Coupons at best.

If we are in the hunt for someone good Mora can go to Damelio or whoever and ask for help. Or maybe they have something they are holding onto.

I have a hard time believing that the piggy bank is empty.

Reaction Score
we should only offer boatloads of NIL to someone who is worth it.

Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton are worth a book of Wendy’s Coupons at best.

If we are in the hunt for someone good Mora can go to Damelio or whoever and ask for help. Or maybe they have something they are holding onto.

I have a hard time believing that the piggy bank is empty.
They could have that book of coupons after I'm done cherry picking it damn it!

Reaction Score
Why do you say, “We’re going to be brutalized by the portal”?

Reading the BY seems like 75% of posters think we suck and have subpar talent. So P4 teams are going to snatch and pay our 0-5 team players?

Rosa isn’t going anywhere. Have some faith!!

There is talent enough on this team to have 2-3 wins right now, IMO.

I think we're going to lose a lot of guys to mid and low-tier FBS teams.

Our only real shot is that this Texas QB is the real deal and we can keep him around with a decent NIL deal. If he's any good we'll only have him for 1-2 years, but it could be enough for a bowl season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why can’t you just enjoy this year?
For the same reason I got general anesthesia when I got a colonoscopy. There are some things I just don't want to remember.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
For the same reason I got general anesthesia when I got a colonoscopy. There are some things I just don't want to remember.
Propofol, the best sleep agent. Wake me up when this winless nightmare is over.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt UCONN shelled out $500,000 to a 3 star high school recruit. Don’t doubt he got NIL money but I highly doubt it was a ton.

I’m saying we need a current solid college starting qb in the portal.
Guess I missed the memo. I thought he was ranked much higher. But you are right. UConn already has guys like him.

Reaction Score
This may be a little off the topic, but It seems like FCS players who are excelling at that level and looking move up are more successful in the portal than P5 players who are looking to transfer because of lack on playing time. There may be a reason they don't get playing time.

Reaction Score

You are soft as Charmin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually got a local when I had foot surgery over my anesthesiologist's objections. I was thinking about doing the same for my colonoscopy and a buddy of mine said "why would you want to remember that?" It was tough to argue with the logic of that.

Reaction Score
I actually got a local when I had foot surgery over my anesthesiologist's objections. I was thinking about doing the same for my colonoscopy and a buddy of mine said "why would you want to remember that?" It was tough to argue with the logic of that.
Just do the sigmoidoscopy. They don’t give you anything.

Reaction Score
This may be a little off the topic, but It seems like FCS players who are excelling at that level and looking move up are more successful in the portal than P5 players who are looking to transfer because of lack on playing time. There may be a reason they don't get playing time.
That’s my point - everyone gets excited when they hear where a player transferred from (I.E. Michigan, Alabama) but don’t look to see how they were doing there. Were they on the two deep? Did they get playing time? How did they do when they played?

I’d rather have a guy like Guidone who played very well for a few years at an FCS then a transfer from a P5 school who couldn’t sniff the 2 deep but was a four star high school player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No.

All of our good players will be plucked from the roster. I think we held onto most of our guys cause it seemed like the program was on an upwards trajectory, and B12 rumors were a plenty.

Now that reality has set in and everyone knows we're the same old mediocre program with the same old mediocre coaching, anyone who produces enough to transfer up is absolutely taking it, and some of the guys who think they should've played more(Brewton/Houston) will also take the first bus outa town.

The only chance we have is the mass exodus opens up playing time for better players somehow lost on the depth chart. But the odds of that are so long, it's not worth considering.

Reaction Score
Hopefully - this does not become an issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-02-16-44-28-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-02-16-44-28-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 120
Reaction Score
With UConn FB seemingly headed for a one or two win season, what are the prospects for next year?

I am guessing that it will depend on five things:
  1. Financial condition of the UConn Collective(s)
  2. Allocation from the Collective(s) to football for salaries and signing bonuses
  3. Loss of key personnel to the portal
  4. Quality of incoming personnel from the portal
  5. Development of non-transferring personnel
Roll all those up and what do you think?

Btw, my opinion is that for those who think that all UConn has to do is raise more cash earmarked for FB in the Collective(s), I think you are missing the point. Your argument implies that UConn does not know how to raise money. I think that is patently untrue, they are world class at it.

I think that it is more like UConn's rise in BB came a long time prior to the oughts decade which marked UConn's initial rise in FB. Thus the donor base has always been geared more towards BB. Additionally, BB wins natties which no one believes will ever happen with FB. That, and so much more money is required for FB due to the number of players means that the mission with FB is just to get it competitive enough that UConn can get a P4 invite. That's not really glamorous and the BB donors are happy with the BE anyway.
You need to see what the portal bringeth and taketh, but Storrs is not attractive to recruits with other options right now.

Reaction Score
Hopefully - this does not become an issue

1696280395441.png

Full quote:

-> Welliver did say that the idea of UConn moving to the Big 12 conference, a rumor that has resurfaced in recent weeks, was brought up on his visit. “They were talking about the Big 12 and moving to the Big 12; saying how, if it does go through, how such a big deal that would be for all of the players and the school.”

Welliver clarified that the Power Five possibility served as merely a “cherry on top” for his decision making; he was coming to Storrs regardless.

“Going to a school, I feel like it’s mostly about the coaches. Being with the right kind of coach and a coach that will fit my style.” <-

Time will tell…

Reaction Score
Turnaround

Turnaround

Did someone say turnaround?

BYMotto: Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by.......

Reaction Score
You need to see what the portal bringeth and taketh, but Storrs is not attractive to recruits with other options right now.
Great campus, lot going on, lots of high ranked teams, great facilities. Not sure what you mean other than the recent record. My sense is that money always works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom