Can One Player Win a Championship All By Themselves? | The Boneyard

Can One Player Win a Championship All By Themselves?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To eliminate any suspense suggested by the thread title “One player cannot win a championship by themselves.” But one player can take a good team and lead it to a championship, particularly in WBB. While Caitlyn Clark couldn’t quite get it done with the Iowa Hawkeyes, it should be pointed out, that Iowa might have been among Charlie Crème’s “First 4 Out” without Clark. As Geno has said about Maddy Siegrist, “No disrespect to my team or to Villanova, but whenever you have the best player on the court, you have a chance to win. Believe me I know.”

Geno and UConn WBB have had the best player on the court frequently. In fact, in each of UConn’s 11 national championship seasons, the Huskies have had at least one, and sometimes two present or future NPOY’s/first overall picks in the WNBA draft as follows:
  • 1995 – Rebecca Lobo (Note that was the 1st WNBA season and the top 16 players were allocated to various teams, rather than being formerly drafted.)
  • 2000 – Sue Bird (Note that Shea Ralph, who also earned a NPOY award, was a key part of that team, and could well have been a #1 draft choice herself, had she not suffered multiple knee injuries during her college career.)
  • 2002 – Sue Bird & DT
  • 2003 & 2004 – DT (We have Diana and you don’t)
  • 2009 & 2010 – Maya Moore
  • 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 – Breanna Stewart
My purpose in going through this exercise is to focus on next year’s team. While enjoying the Men’s FF in Houston, Geno was asked about next year’s team. He responded, “I would love nothing better than to coach Paige Bueckers for an entire season.” Paige has already won NPOY in unprecedented fashion as a freshman. Whether she or Caitlyn Clark end up being the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft, assuming they both declare, is probably immaterial. UConn has a much better supporting cast than Iowa has, this year or next.

As a UConn fan, it’s hard not to feel somewhat cheated by the basketball gods, not only this past season, but the one before that as well. A completely healthy team, with Paige running the show, would have had a great chance of winning #12 this year. Odds even out over time. It’s time for the odds to turn in UConn’s favor. I am as optimistic about next year’s team as I have been in a very long time. I expect Paige to be back, better than ever, ready to lead an extremely talented supporting cast to another championship.

Reaction Score
I share Old Dude's sentiments completely. However, the last two years have been so depressing from an injury standpoint that its hard to be optimistic. Its like Pat Summit has gotten into someone's ear "upstairs".

Reaction Score
One player can not win a championship by themselves but Carson from LSU certainly had a big hand in LSU first half and Morris did in the 2nd half with her defense on Clark and her Mid range game. The cap was when she banked a 3 pointer after running the clock down near the end of the game.
UConn should have the ability to play with anyone next year but SC and LSU will certainly be formidable. Can't wait for the summer who is gonna start discussions.

Reaction Score
The same reason that Griner has only 1 in the WNBA even playing with DT and other very good players. She disappears in big moments.
Do you really want to diss someone who just spent almost a year in a Russian prison?! That is totally inappropriate, IMO.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Especially in college, it also really helps to have the best player in the court be at the guard/wing position. Even with Lobo as NPOY, you had Rizzotti at the point making the team run.

As you saw in SC/Iowa, and probably in "some" of the Baylor games with Griner (I can't recall, tbh), posts are limited in how much they can effect games if folks are able to pack it in, pressure ball handlers, and keep the ball from them. The difference between SC winning it all last year and this year? They had a pro at the PG spot in Destani Henderson. I'd much rather have a dominant guard/wing than a dominant post in college.

Reaction Score
The same reason that Griner has only 1 in the WNBA even playing with DT and other very good players. She disappears in big moments.
Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Reaction Score
Like anything sports, business, life, you can't do anything by yourself. To be successful in anything, it takes a team effort and everyone playing their an embracing their roles in that environment. It is like a marriage. In order for that marriage to work and be successful, the parties have to embrace their role and understand that sometimes you sing lead vocals and sometimes you got to stand in the background shake that tambourine and sing backing vocals. ;):cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In opposition to the OP's “One player cannot win a championship by themselves.”, I give you Danny Manning, 1988.
I was thinking of Manning when I started this thread. He put the Jayhawks on his back with a 31 pt, 18 rebound game against an Oklahoma team that had beaten Kansas twice during the regular season. But even in that game, Manning’s teammates scored 52 pts in an 83-79 Jayhawk victory over the Sooners.

Reaction Score
No. Every team has to have 5 players so 1 simply can't win a championship. All great teams have several contributors even when they have a superstar that gets all the accolades. Why did Baylor only win 1 NC with Griner is simple, there were other teams that also had very good players and that gives the team with the hot hand that night the advantage.

Reaction Score
To eliminate any suspense suggested by the thread title “One player cannot win a championship by themselves.” But one player can take a good team and lead it to a championship, particularly in WBB. While Caitlyn Clark couldn’t quite get it done with the Iowa Hawkeyes, it should be pointed out, that Iowa might have been among Charlie Crème’s “First 4 Out” without Clark. As Geno has said about Maddy Siegrist, “No disrespect to my team or to Villanova, but whenever you have the best player on the court, you have a chance to win. Believe me I know.”

Geno and UConn WBB have had the best player on the court frequently. In fact, in each of UConn’s 11 national championship seasons, the Huskies have had at least one, and sometimes two present or future NPOY’s/first overall picks in the WNBA draft as follows:
  • 1995 – Rebecca Lobo (Note that was the 1st WNBA season and the top 16 players were allocated to various teams, rather than being formerly drafted.)
  • 2000 – Sue Bird (Note that Shea Ralph, who also earned a NPOY award, was a key part of that team, and could well have been a #1 draft choice herself, had she not suffered multiple knee injuries during her college career.)
  • 2002 – Sue Bird & DT
My purpose in going through this exercise is to focus on next year’s team. While enjoying the Men’s FF in Houston, Geno was asked about next year’s team. He responded, “I would love nothing better than to coach Paige Bueckers for an entire season.” Paige has already won NPOY in unprecedented fashion as a freshman. Whether she or Caitlyn Clark end up being the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft, assuming they both declare, is probably immaterial. UConn has a much better supporting cast than Iowa has, this year or next.

As a UConn fan, it’s hard not to feel somewhat cheated by the basketball gods, not only this past season, but the one before that as well. A completely healthy team, with Paige running the show, would have had a great chance of winning #12 this year. Odds even out over time. It’s time for the odds to turn in UConn’s favor. I am as optimistic about next year’s team as I have been in a very long time. I expect Paige to be back, better than ever, ready to lead an extremely talented supporting cast to another championship.
The best example that I can think of as to whether one player can lead a team to a championship is 1979's Larry Bird's Indiana State team against Magic Johnson & Greg Kelser's Michigan State team. Although Bird single-handedly led his team over a great Depaul team in the semi-finals that featured Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings and Clyde Bradshaw, he was not enough to carry his team to victory in the finals. Much like Miss St ending UConn's undefeated streak in 2016, they had nothing left for SC. The same script was written for Iowa yesterday. The tank was emptied Friday night.

I loved Geno's comments about being able to coach Paige for an entire season. Yes, UConn will be blessed with talent next season, but Geno unabashedly expresses his feelings about what Paige brings to the table. Like Oldude, I am anxiously awaiting the Paige Beuckers Redemption Tour next season.

I also thought it was interesting to hear Sue Bird state that Paige knows that people have forgotten about her this past season. We know that Paige is a competitor and at times, she had that look of helplessness on the bench watching the games. The fact that she is able to slowly rehab (13-month period before an official game) has me feeling confident for the upcoming season.

Most projections of who are the top incoming freshmen usually has some misses and surprises. I'd say the class of 2020 was spot on. The top 5 in order was Paige, Angel Reese, Cameron Brink, Caitlin Clark and Karmilla Cardosa. After 3 years, Brink, Cardosa and now Reese have won a NC. In 2024, there will be a new addition to this club, and I am pretty certain it won't be Caitlin Clark.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

• 2002 – Sue Bird & DT

Exactly what I’ve been saying in the thread on Magic Johnson’s declaration that Clark is second to Taurasi as an all time great. That is certainly debatable, but few BYers say one can’t fall into that category without leading a team to an NC. Pure nonsense. Team X might need a great player to win an NC but it ain’t usually going to happen without the right teammates And hope nobody on some other team doesn’t have the game of their lives. Iowa has some nice players but nowhere near the very high level teammates UConn greats had Lobo had Jen and Kara, both National players of the year plus a pretty decent teammate named Nykeisha something or other. All of our championship teams had several high level talent. That is generally true for all NC teams. Iowa is a questionable tournament team without Clark.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
After 3 years, Brink, Cardosa and now Reese have won a NC. In 2024, there will be a new addition to this club, and I am pretty certain it won't be Caitlin Clark.
And they all had way better teammates than Clark. Clark doesn’t head up recruiting for Iowa. Bird is maybe a better example than Johnson who had at least one very talented teammate and his team beat Bird’s team. You would have to conclude that Della Donne was a bust because Delaware couldn’t come close to winning an NC or that Clark alone is responsible for defending the opposition.

Reaction Score

• 2002 – Sue Bird & DT

Of course one player can't do it alone. The great ones get their teammates involved. I thought it was telling last night that it was all Clark and Czinano in the early stages of the game. I felt it would be a problem. DT had only 17 points in her last game in 2004 but the game was all about her because she facilitated everything else and made her teammates have great games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course one player can't do it alone. The great ones get their teammates involved. I thought it was telling last night that it was all Clark and Czinano in the early stages of the game. I felt it would be a problem. DT had only 17 points in her last game in 2004 but the game was all about her because she facilitated everything else and made her teammates have great games.
Some folks have suggested that Clark is better than Paige. No doubt that Clark is a better long range shooter. But Paige is a much better decision maker who knows when & where to shoot or pass, and she makes everyone around her better.

Reaction Score
Some folks have suggested that Clark is better than Paige. No doubt that Clark is a better long range shooter. But Paige is a much better decision maker who knows when & where to shoot or pass, and she makes everyone around her better.
Yes she does. She also knows when to take over a game by herself as in the NC State game last year and the South Carolina game the year before, the way Diana used to. MJ always got his teammates involved early so they would be ready for later ala Steve Kerr and John Paxson.

Reaction Score
It is possible but much less likely that one player can lead a team through the playoff to a Natty. Players have on an off games. If a player has enough one games in a row they are certainly able to do so. However, all it takes is on off shooting game and the streak ends.

In response to Baylor with Griner and Sims on the same team only winning one Natty. One year they ran into a red hot Shoni Shimmel who when she was hot was a scoring machine. I also did not help that coaching for all bigs in college was lacking. Griner did not know how to create space and that allowed Louiville to shut her down. Also Simms was vastly over rated both offensively and on defense. Griner being on the court helped her both on offense and defense. During her Sr year Mulkey made her the focus of the offense which helped her to win the scoring title, but it hurt her when she got to the WNBA.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Coaching the players on how to make themselves available helps as does talent. That kid Carson destroyed Iowa in the first half with Reese sitting. Tell us how Clark was supposed to overcome any of that? Her roster is full of decent but not special players. The center is ok, but quick she ain’t.

Reaction Score
I think influencing the outcome of the championship game as Carson did does mean more than great play earlier in the tourney. Everything on the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom