Calhoun starting over Adams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun starting over Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't understand how you could have any bad feelings towards Omar. He hasn't lived up to expectations coming out of high school but he works hard, doesn't complain, and tries to do his best when given opportunities. Today wasn't great but he has been huge at times this season .He is one of if not my favorite player on this team. He could have transferred after getting essentially benched in 2014 but he didn't, true UConn kid.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That looks like way not enough ballhandling. If Adams isn't ready, at least get Purvis back in the starting lineup.

And, yes, January 23 is too late to be experimenting. This needed to be set a month ago.

Its never to late to tweek a line up
Adjustments are needed throughout
If KO didn't make adjustments you would be laying into him - like so many here love to do
I think he saw that Omar could do something vs this Gtown lineup
Unfortunately Omar left his shooting shoes at home but did do some good things

Reaction Score
It was Calhoun's first start since last January at Houston. Freshman Jalen Adams had started the prior two games for the Huskies, but began the game on the bench for what appears to be disciplinary reasons.

"It was something internal," said Ollie, "and we'll go back the next two days and evaluate who we're starting next game
Good lord - everyone freaking out. KO isn't experimenting. I'm quoting my own post again because people seem to have missed it. Jalen Adams being benched was due to a disciplinary issue, not because KO is tinkering with the lineup.

Reaction Score
Good lord - everyone freaking out. KO isn't experimenting. I'm quoting my own post again because people seem to have missed it. Jalen Adams being benched was due to a disciplinary issue, not because KO is tinkering with the lineup.
There's a narrative here, @tcf15 , stop fücking with it and allow people to operate in their heads rather than reality.

Reaction Score
Yeah wow I missed this entirely . Here's my guess; Adams wasn't happy with minute distribution and voiced it. This happens in basketball a TON, especially at the college level when dealing with teenage athletes.

I really hope it's minor, he is probably one of the more important prospects on our roster( including 16 class), his development is Beyond crucial. He was 100% pouting on the bench the second half , right or not. Didnt clap once on any big possession.

Reaction Score
tcf15 said:
Adams is adjusting to a bigger stage in life and in basketball, so I hope that this is just a young kid adjusting and not something that becomes serious or long-term.

Reaction Score
11 minutes. KO laying down the law early in the young mans career. Wonder what happened?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I had the same reaction....people just completely missed it for some reason.

Reaction Score
Could be something as mundane as he was late to a film session. Obviously not too serious since he checked in by the 15 minute mark.

Reaction Score
Yeah wow I missed this entirely . Here's my guess; Adams wasn't happy with minute distribution and voiced it. This happens in basketball a TON, especially at the college level when dealing with teenage athletes.

I really hope it's minor, he is probably one of the more important prospects on our roster( including 16 class), his development is Beyond crucial. He was 100% pouting on the bench the second half , right or not. Didnt clap once on any big possession.

I read his body language completely different. He was leaning forward on the bench looking engaged the entire half. He looked absolutely into the game and itching to get out there. On time outs he was among the first to get up and greet his teammates. I saw no pouting or negativity while reading his body language. I'm sure he was upset he didn't play more but he seems to be a great teammate and understands his time will come

Reaction Score
We are a better team with him out there. Omar missed the gym on one of his 3's yesterday, I don't get it

Reaction Score

You think it's appropriate to throw out wild a## guesses about a disciplinary matter? Seriously?

Reaction Score
You think it's appropriate to throw out wild a## guesses about a disciplinary matter? Seriously?
Yeah I do. I mean when I told y'all players were sent home from Puerto Rico last year before it was reported nobody complained.

Reaction Score
He needs to work harder (IMO). Ollie is trying to push him to the next level (IMO). KO coached a great game. Great job coach. So many freshman are struggling this year. We have a good 1 and he can still be huge for us this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I do. I mean when I told y'all players were sent home from Puerto Rico last year before it was reported nobody complained.

That's providing people with a fact, which I don't think anyone would or should complain about. If you know for a fact JA was disciplined for complaining about playing time, that would be one thing. But that wouldn't be close to what you said you were doing.

And by the way -- what kind of logic is it to defend a statement by saying that no one was mad when you made a different statement a year plus ago.

Reaction Score
We are a better team with him out there. Omar missed the gym on one of his 3's yesterday, I don't get it

Well, thanks to Sir Issac Newton the ball did eventually hit the floor, inside the building I think. Don't get it either, always rooting for his shots to go in but too often their destination is an adventure.

Reaction Score
That's providing people with a fact, which I don't think anyone would or should complain about. If you know for a fact JA was disciplined for complaining about playing time, that would be one thing. But that wouldn't be close to what you said you were doing.

And by the way -- what kind of logic is it to defend a statement by saying that no one was mad when you made a different statement a year plus ago.
I was speculating on Adams , you're right about that (not that he was sulking, he was indeed obviously sulking in the second half after rewatching it). Wasn't really meant to be damaging speculation though and I'm just curious why the players been disciplined; hasn't happened since that incident a year plus ago. What else should we discuss when a starter is benched out of the blue for an "internal matter"?

Reaction Score
People read what is posted here. When you say something like that, you risk starting a story that gets read by people who know a player and aren't quick enough to dismiss what you say as idle speculation. And then words have consequences that go way beyond having the discussion you intened.

Speaking more Trump like, talk hoops but when it comes to personal stuff mind your own business.

Reaction Score
People read what is posted here. When you say something like that, you risk starting a story that gets read by people who know a player and aren't quick enough to dismiss what you say as idle speculation. And then words have consequences that go way beyond having the discussion you intened.

Speaking more Trump like, talk hoops but when it comes to personal stuff mind your own business.
I prefaced my initial statement with "here's my guess" . It was pretty harmless and this is a message board but go ahead .

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I prefaced my initial statement with "here's my guess" . It was pretty harmless and this is a message board but go ahead .
It falls under the same category as not speculating on transfers. Nothing good and plenty bad can come from idle speculation and wild ass guessing. Saying it's probably minor as he got in before the 15 minute mark is fine. Guessing that he probably questioned his minutes isn't.

So in summary, disciplinary situations are like transfer situations - report facts - don't speculate.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Don't understand how you could have any bad feelings towards Omar. He hasn't lived up to expectations coming out of high school but he works hard, doesn't complain, and tries to do his best when given opportunities. Today wasn't great but he has been huge at times this season .He is one of if not my favorite player on this team. He could have transferred after getting essentially benched in 2014 but he didn't, true UConn kid.

This is more or less my view as well. Calhoun and Nolan are my two favorite players on the team. They're guys who aren't out for personal glory and are fully committed to the team. They joined up when our program was at a very dark point and have stuck it out for four years, even though they haven't been celebrated as stars. In terms of dedication, there's nothing more we could ask out of either of them.

Reaction Score
Must have been a beast in practice.
Yesterday did you?
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads