Caitlin Clark to the WNBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark to the WNBA

Reaction Score
The WNBA's TV deal with ESPN is up in 2025. Most people think the next deal will be significantly bigger, which obviously supports league salaries. If Clark is able to bring more viewership to the WNBA, that will benefit all players.
Well yes, but should she not be compensated for being a part of that increase in viewership? Let's be honest, she is the reason women's college basketball viewership is up. It is nice that because of her that other players will benefit, but she's a SUPER star, and thus should be rewarded as one. Caitlin is the GOLD standard.

Reaction Score
I imagine a lot of SCar, UConn, and Iowa State fans are happy with this announcement.

I love it that Clark and the beloved former Scar legend Boston will be teammates :D. Scar fans will be conflicted.

Well, it's been a ride for some folks already.

Reaction Score
You make valid points and there is never any real way to guess who makes it and who doesn't. I think Jackson has more upside but that's no guarantee either.

I'm far from an expert so I strike my statement those two fine players may not stick in the league.
I'm a big fan of Jackson myself and believe her game translates well into the WNBA. Not saying Holmes will, but I wouldn't be surprised she finds a niche at that level.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, her agent will take into account the attendance and TV viewership increase to command gate receipts and TV revenue....It will be hard to do, but I'd love to see a savvy attorney help negotiate that. My fear too is if that were to happen, will she make adversaries even among her team?
The WNBA's TV deal with ESPN is up in 2025. Most people think the next deal will be significantly bigger, which obviously supports league salaries. If Clark is able to bring more viewership to the WNBA, that will benefit all players.
Well yes, but should she not be compensated for being a part of that increase in viewership? Let's be honest, she is the reason women's college basketball viewership is up. It is nice that because of her that other players will benefit, but she's a SUPER star, and thus should be rewarded as one. Caitlin is the GOLD standard.

Wouldn't the current WNBA agreement with the WNBPA have some impact on the terms for any contract Clark negotiates with a team? Kelsey Plum had talked about it in an interview noting that they don't get a piece of some streams that NBA players do. While I'm sure there are economics behind it, I think it limits what Clark can get directly from the team.

Having a good agent is one thing, but the next collective bargaining agreement will also have impact on what Clark can earn. Can the WNBPA get a better revenue sharing deal that factors in a percentage from a new TV deal? Hopefully both the WNBA and WNBPA can leverage Clark's market potential to benefit both sides.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I wish her well but let's face reality here. When given the choice between on a mid-season Sunday of grilling and going in the pool or watching WNBA what do you think happens? The WNBA loses. She's a phenomenal talent who's elevated the women's game but reality will set in. You can poo poo this assessment but I don't know how wrong I am.
Ok Darren. Why so negative about someone's career choice? Perhaps she's done with college, wants to move on. Competitors will find a way to do so, no matter where they are. As someone with a daughter, wouldn't you want CC to participate in growing the women's game?

Reaction Score
Ok Darren. Why so negative about someone's career choice? Perhaps she's done with college, wants to move on. Competitors will find a way to do so, no matter where they are. As someone with a daughter, wouldn't you want CC to participate in growing the women's game?
I had two daughters play basketball yet I would have to drag them kicking and screaming to a WNBA game. Not a problem with a UConn game. They were all in. Also, did I not say that I wish her well? There are certain financial constraints to the WNBA and while she may make more money due to endorsements (which she's doing now - thank you State Farm) she's going to have to travel abroad to make the major dollars. That and given when the season is there are plenty of other things for people to do. Right now all eyeballs are on the college game as we're post Super Bowl and pre Opening Day. She's got to major networks (Fox & ESPN) promoting her. When she gets to the next level it'll only be one. That being said, I wish her well and success in her new career.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I had two daughters play basketball yet I would have to drag them kicking and screaming to a WNBA game. Not a problem with a UConn game. They were all in. Also, did I not say that I wish her well? There are certain financial constraints to the WNBA and while she may make more money due to endorsements (which she's doing now - thank you State Farm) she's going to have to travel abroad to make the major dollars. That and given when the season is there are plenty of other things for people to do. Right now all eyeballs are on the college game as we're post Super Bowl and pre Opening Day. She's got to major networks (Fox & ESPN) promoting her. When she gets to the next level it'll only be one. That being said, I wish her well and success in her new career.
Fair points.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She’s reportedly going to get $3m a year from a shoe deal, still keep all of her other sponsors (ball park guess another $1m, could be more when factoring in her exploding social media accounts if more deals are made), plus keep her WNBA salary, merch sales and any other bonuses that come with it. At the end of the day she’s likely making close to $5 million a year without going overseas.

The ultimate impact of her going to the WNBA is unknown, but I’d bet big money the WNBA will have higher attendance and viewership this year across the board. Her joining the league is not an overnight fix to sustained growth in the league but she’s going to draw a lot of new fans and there will be a ton of eyes on the sport this summer which can be attributed directly to her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think Megan Gustafson is a better comparison as far as playing style. She's bounced around, kind of had to reinvent herself as a player, but I think she's a solid contributor in the W now.
One thing Holmes has that Gustafson didn't coming out of college is that she's a really good defender. Gustafson also having the range Holmes does. She doesn't have a consistent three yet, but she seems to be trying to make a good case to become a stretch four.

Reaction Score
I’d bet big money the WNBA will have higher attendance and viewership this year across the board. Her joining the league is not an overnight fix to sustained growth in the league but she’s going to draw a lot of new fans and there will be a ton of eyes on the sport this summer which can be attributed directly to her.
Which she should be compensated for. I'm hoping due to this, she will make upwards of 10 million dollars or more. Hopefully whoever is representing her will ask for TV revenue and gate receipts.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this opinion will ruffle some feathers, but I’m not sure if most people jumping on the bandwagon now are going to follow Clark to the WNBA. The WNBA has the disadvantage of playing in The general basketball “off season” (so to speak) and overall the vibe is a lot different than college ball.

I mean, I wish it WOULD translate to many more fans tuning into the WNBA, but I feel like this is something that’s been said many times over the years when another WBB college star enters the league. Is Clark different? Maybe. But I wouldn’t count on it.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I’m sure this opinion will ruffle some feathers, but I’m not sure if most people jumping on the bandwagon now are going to follow Clark to the WNBA. The WNBA has the disadvantage of playing in The general basketball “off season” (so to speak) and overall the vibe is a lot different than college ball.

I mean, I wish it WOULD translate to many more fans tuning into the WNBA, but I feel like this is something that’s been said many times over the years when another WBB college star enters the league. Is Clark different? Maybe. But I wouldn’t count on it.
It just takes time. The league was and has been growing before her. It's not like she will hurt that trend.

Reaction Score
It just takes time. The league was and has been growing before her. It's not like she will hurt that trend.
Absolutely. I’m sure there will be an increase in fans, but I am just skeptical as to how much. And that isn’t a knock on Clark, obviously, just more of an indication of how difficult it is for the WNBA to grow.

Reaction Score

I followed Boston and the freshies last year when they transitioned to the WNBA. I don't believe I watched more than 5 WNBA games before last year but last year I got the league pass and pretty much kept up with the Fever and Aces -- I watched like 30 or so games. I think Clark will have her fans that will make the transition. I don't believe it'll be a ridiculous amount but I think Iowa nation and some Clark fans will tune in.

Reaction Score
I followed Boston and the freshies last year when they transitioned to the WNBA. I don't believe I watched more than 5 WNBA games before last year but last year I got the league pass and pretty much kept up with the Fever and Aces -- I watched like 30 or so games. I think Clark will have her fans that will make the transition. I don't believe it'll be a ridiculous amount but I think Iowa nation and some Clark fans will tune in.
I think you’re right, and I think your situation will certainly be similar to others. Every bit counts.

I admit I am part of the problem. I try to watch the WNBA, but I just can’t seem to watch it consistently. I have the same problem with the NBA too (though in my lifetime I’ve probably seen more WNBA than NBA). I just find college ball way more interesting.

The only difference is the NBA has tens of millions of fans so me not watching has basically zero impact. :oops:

Reaction Score
I think you’re right, and I think your situation will certainly be similar to others. Every bit counts.

I admit I am part of the problem. I try to watch the WNBA, but I just can’t seem to watch it consistently. I have the same problem with the NBA too (though in my lifetime I’ve probably seen more WNBA than NBA). I just find college ball way more interesting.

The only difference is the NBA has tens of millions of fans so me not watching has basically zero impact. :oops:
Yes every bit counts, but it's also generational. The audience that is now watching WBB and WNBA is much different than what we saw even a few years ago. Ratings are trending upwards consistently year after year. It's going to take time, no different than the NBA itself.

There's a different appetite for women's sport as a whole from what I'm seeing. Even with how much hockey is revered in Canada, the demand of a women's professional league wasn't high. Now, the new PWHL are filling NHL sized arenas. The league is gaining some traction on television too. The same is happening with soccer. I'm enjoying the growth that's happening overall.

Reaction Score
Interesting turn of events!
Who saw this coming?

IMG_6747.jpeg

Reaction Score
The WNBA won't grow because of Caitlin Clarke entering, she will have the same impact as Sabrina Ionescu had a few years back, not more.

The better chance for WNBA to grow is the project to add new franchises, which has been in the talk for at least the last two years, JMO

Reaction Score
The WNBA won't grow because of Caitlin Clarke entering, she will have the same impact as Sabrina Ionescu had a few years back, not more.

The better chance for WNBA to grow is the project to add new franchises, which has been in the talk for at least the last two years, JMO

Ionescu did not draw record crowds to every game she played. Clark has moved the needle.

Expansion team in SF/Oak starts next summer.

And Toronto is trying again to win a franchise.

Reaction Score
Ionescu did not draw record crowds to every game she played. Clark has moved the needle.

Expansion team in SF/Oak starts next summer.

And Toronto is trying again to win a franchise.
Re Toronto, considering who's behind it, I have a bit more faith. Larry Tannenbaum is well respected in NBA circles and is doing this without MLSE. Some pundits find it interesting and see it as a way to get back at one of the owners of Rogers who killed the original plan.

His game plan still keeps things in Toronto and includes plans that could benefit Canada Basketball in the form of a seperate practice facility. That could end up being better overall long term if it happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom