Caitlin Clark to the WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark to the WNBA

Reaction Score
If she does go No. 1 overall, Clark's salary will be $76,535, according to Spotrac. Her value on the NIL market is around $910,000, according to On3, with sponsorships including Gatorade and State Farm. Her entry to the draft comes at a pivotal point in women's college basketball.

While the endorsement number sounds right, I wouldn't trust On3 to be accurate with respect to valuations. A lot of what they're putting out there both for men's and women's sports have no real information to back up their "estimates". A lot of what they post is clickbait for engagement.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
BTW, on that one absolutely laughable point, does anyone think Iowa would've made championship game, let alone the Final Four, without Caitlin Clark? Look at it from this perspective: Larry Bird lost his NC appearance...and then went onto win NBA and Olympic titles I suspect Cailin Clark will do much the same in the WNBA and/for the U.S.A. National Team.
To answer your question, I don’t think Iowa makes the FF without Clark last year.

However, last year Iowa shot about 51% collectively with Clark, 53% without her. If the team shot even 48% without Clark, still a good percentage, they don’t make the FF as well. True, Clark enabled her teammates to shoot better, but …

To compare Clark’s Iowa, a major with a good coach, some previous success and teammates capable of collectively shooting 53% (a fantastic percentage!), to Bird’s Indiana State, a mid-major with no modicum of previous success or real talent, is quite the stretch.

Bird then took a paltry 20 win Celtic team and doubled their wins in his first season, then led them to a championship in his second season. I believe the only WNBA player who caused a remotely similar turnaround is M. Moore with the annually underachieving Lynx (getting Reeves as a coach helped). I pledge that if Clark causes that type of turnaround as well I will come here and publicly announce my unwarranted skepticism. Please remind me to do so if I forget.

Reaction Score
Every sponsor Caitlin Clark has will follow her to WNBA
Which is why for someone like her it makes sense to go pro. NIL is of course a factor but it's silly to think her endorsements weren't going to keep her under contract just because she's not enrolled at Iowa.

Playing college basketball isn't easy as these ladies still have to take classes, study, and be in a more structured and regimented environment. After four years of that most players are ready to move on.

Reaction Score
Which is why for someone like her it makes sense to go pro. NIL is of course a factor but it's silly to think her endorsements weren't going to keep her under contract just because she's not enrolled at Iowa.

Playing college basketball isn't easy as these ladies still have to take classes, study, and be in a more structured and regimented environment. After four years of that most players are ready to move on.

Yes, it's silly for people to think this way, but that's the problem. Most aren't thinking. They're just parroting what they hear from others that makes sense to their opinion/bias. They don't want to do the work in verifying the information they're getting.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's silly for people to think this way, but that's the problem. Most aren't thinking. They're just parroting what they hear from others that makes sense to their opinion/bias. They don't want to do the work in verifying the information they're getting.
Last year people were speaking that Boston might return for year 5. I never thought she would as she was the clear number one draft selection and in that case players should move on.

I know Kitley, Holmes, and Jackson all came back for year 5 but I'd say only Jackson will likely stick in the W. Every player has to make the decision that is best for them.

Reaction Score
She’s ready, and pretty obviously has been since she was a sophomore.

I’m going to miss her. I think we’ll still be talking about what she did for the sport decades down the road. She’s leaving NCAAW in a better place than she found it, and there’s a whole generation of young stars behind her ready to keep it going.

I’ve long wanted to see Boston with an elite PG and Clark with an elite post. If both stay healthy and Smith sticks around I’d be shocked if Indiana isn’t championship level-good in the next three years.

Reaction Score
I’ll make a couple bold predictions — I think she’ll be a 20-ppg scorer her first season and I think the Fever will get at least two wins out of their season series’ with the Aces, Liberty, and Sun.

Reaction Score
I think the W will be happy if both Clark and Brink declare for the draft, even if a few other seniors don't. They are the two big fish and impact players both on the floor and commercially, and LA might have been worried that both would come back, leaving the top of the draft relatively weak. They are both ready to be good from the get go at the next level IMO.

For any team that is a potential top contender next year, I hope their stars do not return for obvious reasons, making Uconn's path easier.

Reaction Score
Last year people were speaking that Boston might return for year 5. I never thought she would as she was the clear number one draft selection and in that case players should move on.

I know Kitley, Holmes, and Jackson all came back for year 5 but I'd say only Jackson will likely stick in the W. Every player has to make the decision that is best for them.
Trying to project who will and won't make it in the W isn't something I'm a fan of. For example, I wouldn't count out Holmes. Considering she wasn't highly recruited, who would have projected her to be one of the better post players in NCAA and a NPOY candidate by this point?

For comparison, I look at Naz Hillmon and Bridget Carleton as examples of players who some didn't expect to stick in the W. Atlanta recently exercised their 4th year option of Hillmon's contract. Some thought Amihere was going to surplant her when she was drafted last season.

Carleton recently resigned with Minnesota after being drafted and cut by Connecticut. Some didn't think she'd survive beyond the first couple seasons. And Minnesota had drafted Dangerfield who was a ROY winner only to cut her afterwards and she bounced around a bit before settling in Dallas (think she's still there for 2024?)

All I can say is who really knows?

Reaction Score
I imagine a lot of SCar, UConn, and Iowa State fans are happy with this announcement.

I love it that Clark and the beloved former Scar legend Boston will be teammates :D. Scar fans will be conflicted.
You're forgetting a few teams from there conference she plays in who should be on this list ;). I believe there may be some fans in Indiana, Ohio State and Maryland who may be happy, to name a few. However, this may be short lived with Watkins, Betts and their respective teams coming to conference play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for her. She has had a tremendous career, and has done a ton to increase the interest in WCBB across the country. She's also being "talked about" a lot. Happy she's content with her decision and ready to attack the next challenge in her life!

Hopefully she brings a lot of new eyeballs to the WNBA. But also looking forward to seeing how her game changes at the next level.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Trying to project who will and won't make it in the W isn't something I'm a fan of. For example, I wouldn't count out Holmes. Considering she wasn't highly recruited, who would have projected her to be one of the better post players in NCAA and a NPOY candidate by this point?

For comparison, I look at Naz Hillmon and Bridget Carleton as examples of players who some didn't expect to stick in the W. Atlanta recently exercised their 4th year option of Hillmon's contract. Some thought Amihere was going to surplant her when she was drafted last season.

Carleton recently resigned with Minnesota after being drafted and cut by Connecticut. Some didn't think she'd survive beyond the first couple seasons. And Minnesota had drafted Dangerfield who was a ROY winner only to cut her afterwards and she bounced around a bit before settling in Dallas (think she's still there for 2024?)

I think Megan Gustafson is a better comparison as far as playing style. She's bounced around, kind of had to reinvent herself as a player, but I think she's a solid contributor in the W now.

Reaction Score

You make valid points and there is never any real way to guess who makes it and who doesn't. I think Jackson has more upside but that's no guarantee either.

I'm far from an expert so I strike my statement those two fine players may not stick in the league.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, maybe a crazy thought, but does Clark really project as a PG in the WNBA? Obviously she's a great passer and has put up big assists numbers. But so did Ionescu, who has been kind of off and on as the PG or 2G as a pro. Probably could say the same about Taurasi long before either of the other two. Ultimately I don't think it really matters, she's a skilled guard who will help her team, just curious about others' thoughts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised, partly because Caitlin's boyfriend works for one of the pro teams in Indianapolis.

I think the Fever will be quite good, though I'm not sure how many shots Caitlin and Kelsey Mitchell will take. Caitlin has always been fairly efficient, but getting the ball to Boston, Smith, and Lou should be even mores so.

Reaction Score
Okay, maybe a crazy thought, but does Clark really project as a PG in the WNBA? Obviously she's a great passer and has put up big assists numbers. But so did Ionescu, who has been kind of off and on as the PG or 2G as a pro. Probably could say the same about Taurasi long before either of the other two. Ultimately I don't think it really matters, she's a skilled guard who will help her team, just curious about others' thoughts.
She can probably play either guard position and be great at either. She’s such a great passer I think she’ll be a terrific PG. Goodness, imagine Boston, Smith, Mitchell, Clark and whoever they decide for the 3rd guard and that’s a playoff contender right there. I‘m excited for Aliyah. Indiana looks like they are invested in their WNBA team and it will pay off in the short term. I bet their games are sellouts everywhere.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised, partly because Caitlin's boyfriend works for one of the pro teams in Indianapolis.

I think the Fever will be quite good, though I'm not sure how many shots Caitlin and Kelsey Mitchell will take. Caitlin has always been fairly efficient, but getting the ball to Boston, Smith, and Lou should be even mores so.
I'm with you on getting the ball to Boston and Smith, but Samuelson is going to be a role player with this roster. Getting her a high volume of shots shouldn't be a priority. She might be last among the starters in FGA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let’s all hope she can do for the W what she has done for the Big Ten. Massive increase in anttendance and TV viewership ( with pay raises to follow.)
There are quite a few young, talented, charismatic athletes heading to the W. Clark is certainly one of them. I agree that they are likely to increase interest.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm with you on getting the ball to Boston and Smith, but Samuelson is going to be a role player with this roster. Getting her a high volume of shots shouldn't be a priority. She might be last among the starters in FGA.
Her or Vivians should slide in well as the 5th starter. KLS especially is a very good spot up shooter. If they let Clark do her thing and dominate the ball like she's done in Iowa, I'd expect KLS/Vivians percentages to go up significantly, as they'll get much cleaner looks than they're used to in the pros.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
KLS especially is a very good spot up shooter.
Is she? That's certainly her reputation, but as a pro honestly I think she's been pretty average.

Reaction Score

Teams that win Championships in the WNBA usually have more then one person who can run the offense. Seattle had Bird Loyd and Stewie. The Aces have Gray, Plum, and Parker when healthy.

Reaction Score
Let’s all hope she can do for the W what she has done for the Big Ten. Massive increase in anttendance and TV viewership ( with pay raises to follow.)
Hopefully, her agent will take into account the attendance and TV viewership increase to command gate receipts and TV revenue....It will be hard to do, but I'd love to see a savvy attorney help negotiate that. My fear too is if that were to happen, will she make adversaries even among her team?

Reaction Score
Hopefully, her agent will take into account the attendance and TV viewership increase to command gate receipts and TV revenue....It will be hard to do, but I'd love to see a savvy attorney help negotiate that. My fear too is if that were to happen, will she make adversaries even among her team?
I wish her well but let's face reality here. When given the choice between on a mid-season Sunday of grilling and going in the pool or watching WNBA what do you think happens? The WNBA loses. She's a phenomenal talent who's elevated the women's game but reality will set in. You can poo poo this assessment but I don't know how wrong I am.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The WNBA's TV deal with ESPN is up in 2025. Most people think the next deal will be significantly bigger, which obviously supports league salaries. If Clark is able to bring more viewership to the WNBA, that will benefit all players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom