OT: - Caitlin ain't Paige but ....... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Caitlin ain't Paige but .......

Reaction Score
Um, none of the statistics support your assertion. It boggles my mind when anyone compliments a non-UConn player, others have to immediately point out why UConn is better or why the player mentioned isn't as good or doesn't help her team much. Have you seen Clark play? The reason Iowa is 11-6 and 7-6 isn't because Clark doesn't make her teammates better, it's because her coach, Lisa Bluder doesn't teach DEFENSE. That Iowa team is a sieve.
Ms. Clark averages more assists than Paige so yes, she does have confidence in her teammates. The offense is predicated on her outside shooting and Czinano's inside game. She also has taken 113 free throws (7 a game!) with a 83% percentage which is also impressive for a guard.

I have said it before and will say it again, both these two are leading candidates for the 10 member WBCA All-American Team this year. This discussion is not an "either" "or" discussion, both are great players and worthy of what ever accolades come their way.
Maybe we think the UCONN player is better because this is a Uconn board? Nothing wrong with being a fan.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe we think the UCONN player is better because this is a Uconn board? Nothing wrong with being a fan.
For me, I admit strong partisan feelings (not necessarily UConn driven) for Paige in end of year awards that you want to reward overall brilliance, fundamentals and Paige's core pass first mentality in this era of score first, taking wow shots and getting stats. As great as Caitlin is, she is and always will look shot first and that seems to be far more appreciated in today's era. I felt similar (although not to the same degree) with Sabrina who I think has strong similarities to Paige and maybe with OR's current downturn, we may again revisit what she meant to that program

Much like the Pheesa / Arike ROY competition where I was so worried that Pheesa's overall brilliance would not be recognized over Arike's flash although Caitlins game for me seems more team oriented than Arike and she is a willing enough passer

Reaction Score
Actually I just feel annoyed with this thread. Just take a quick look on Clark's teammate stat.
The 2nd score leader 19.2 (FG 67%)
This almost as close as to Paige's score.
The 3rd one with 12.7 (FG 52%)

NOT as bad as someone said Clark needs to score at that level in order to carry the team. But to be honest, I haven't watched their games.

Reaction Score
Have seen Clark play several times and she is a great player but unlikely to be put in the position at Iowa to show off her "clutch gene." Until Clark can perform at the same level against the top competition in the US, impossible to compare her to Paige.

Reaction Score
I'll believe that when Clark becomes a triple-double machine (she has 1 this season). Indiana has a guard, Grace Berger, who has three triple-doubles already.
Context: [Caitlin] is more like Sabrina Ionescu than Kelsey Mitchell.

I will stand by that assessment.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Paige's real competition for ROY may have been Angel Reese.
As a Freshman (2020-21): In her Maryland debut, scored 20 points shooting 70% from the field, grabbed 9 boards and had 2 blocks in win over Davidson (11/27)...Tallied a career-high 3 blocks, grabbed 9 boards, dished out 3 assists and scored 15 points against #24 Missouri State (11/28)...Scored 16 points including 6 of 7 free throws, grabbed 8 boards, dished out an assists and added a steal in win over #14 Arkansas (11/29)...scored 2 points and grabbed 2 rebounds in the win over Towson (12/3) suffered right foot fracture early in the game, did not return.

Reaction Score
Paige's real competition for ROY may have been Angel Reese.
As a Freshman (2020-21): In her Maryland debut, scored 20 points shooting 70% from the field, grabbed 9 boards and had 2 blocks in win over Davidson (11/27)...Tallied a career-high 3 blocks, grabbed 9 boards, dished out 3 assists and scored 15 points against #24 Missouri State (11/28)...Scored 16 points including 6 of 7 free throws, grabbed 8 boards, dished out an assists and added a steal in win over #14 Arkansas (11/29)...scored 2 points and grabbed 2 rebounds in the win over Towson (12/3) suffered right foot fracture early in the game, did not return.

Not enough of a sample size. Remember all of the hype after Hailey Van Lith's first few games. Someone even started a post about how Hailey Van Lith would keep Paige off of AA teams. All that hype doesn't look so good right now. Good player, but no one is seriously talking about Hailey Van Lith as the FOY.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Have seen Clark play several times and she is a great player but unlikely to be put in the position at Iowa to show off her "clutch gene." Until Clark can perform at the same level against the top competition in the US, impossible to compare her to Paige.
I think Clark has already demonstrated that she has a "clutch" gene. In the Iowa/Iowa St game this year, which is the biggest rivalry game they play every year, she made the game winning 3-pointer for Iowa: (full highlights, which also include the brilliant A. Joens, here: )

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Clark has already demonstrated that she has a "clutch" gene. In the Iowa/Iowa St game this year, which is the biggest rivalry game they play every year, she made the game winning 3-pointer for Iowa: (full highlights, which also include the brilliant A. Joens, here: )

I agree Paige and Caitlin (and Dana Evans and maybe others I don't know about ) share the clutch gene. Where Paige is different is in her mindset of a Pass first guard whose first focus is to get the rest of her teammates involved and successful but being their when needed. How often do we see Paige start slowly as she tries to let the others get involved first and only later begin taking over as needed. Just a different mindset and one I am grateful for.,

Finally, one aspect of Paige's game that has surprised me is her willingness to eschew the highlight passes (Maybe that behind the back to Aubrey had something to do about it) for intelligent passing and movement . Even her no look passes are high percentage and serve a purpose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom