OT: - Caitlin ain't Paige but ....... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Caitlin ain't Paige but .......

Reaction Score
I like both of these ladies and both are excellent shooters. The main differences I see between the two are that Clark has confidence to take a shot from nearly any spot on the court without hesitation and, if necessary, will make enough space for herself to take a shot. Paige still passes up shots that she should take and probably make. This leads me to feel that Clark is currently a better shooter than Paige.

Okay, now take your shots at me.
Just look at their respective percentages!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Iowa got a top 40 kid (rated 93) and a top 90 kid (rated 91). That's only per HG so i have no idea the composite ranking of those 2. An average class at best. I think Clark is going to be THE star for the immediate future.

I love Clark's game. A thinner, less strong version of Ionescu for sure. She will put up amazing numbers for her entire career I'm sure. As several pointed out in other threads on NPOY and AA's, great players on average teams just don't get consideration. Maybe she will be on the all freshman team, but I would be surprised if she made it any better than HM AA.

Just look at the names on the top 20 scoring. You never hear anyone talking about top 10 recruits (coming out of HS) Hayes (transfer from Tennessee), Bell (transfer from Ohio State), and even in spite of Collier's eye-popping numbers, most don't have her 1st team AA above Boston.

I think it's unfortunate that these kids on "lesser" teams don't get recognized for great seasons. Instead it's often more a popularity contest with players who are hyped without the great stats to back it up. Good stats for sure, but not great. And if anyone really wants to talk about Clark as a potential "_____", she's on a team that might well lose to Middle Tennessee, Ohio, FGCU, or Villanova.

I think awards should be based on how great kids perform regardless of the team they play on.

View attachment 64535

That might be an average class at best at UConn, but getting two players ranked in the 100 is a very good class for pretty much anyone not in the top echelon (UConn, SC, ND, Baylor, Stanford, etc) and shows Clark will be surrounded by even more talent in the years ahead. McKenna Warnock, who I believe is one of the only other top 100 recruits on Iowa's roster, is averaging close to a double double--12.7ppg and 9.4rpg this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On the USA Basketball age-group team from 2 years ago, the starting guards were Paige and Hailey Van Lith. Caitlin was the back-up to Paige.

Reaction Score
Just look at their respective percentages!
The way I see it is Paige has more confidence in her teammates and would rather pass the ball to an open teammate for a higher percentage shot then throw up a low percentage circus shot. One plays for a 17-1 team (14-0) in conference and one plays for a 11-6 team (7-6 in conference).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In todays game against Penn State. Clark had 12 pts after 3Q and was pretty cold and the game was still close and then she went nuts for 20 pts in the 4Q. 4-4 from 3 and really took control. She will have some strong support for end of year awards. She needs to score for Iowa to be really successful so she will have more 30+ games while Paige will continue to build up the confidence of her teammates by deferring in the Big East.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yup and Clark took 21 shots to get her 30 points and Paige (in last night's game) took 10 to get 20.
Yes but this game shows she can get red hot and carry her team in the 4Q. Paige is better in many tangible and intangible ways and even more for the UConn environment but I still appreciate what Caitlin can do.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey dont knock Clark Shes a damm good player. She aint Paige but she is a damm good player. Respect her for that. Just think what you would think if she was your daughter with those numbers and people knocked her. Every girl has parents and the words you use could make them really happy or really angry and you dont know who their father is????????????????? Be Nice shes just a kid trying to be the best she can be.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Yes but this game shows she can get red hot and carry her team in the 4Q. Paige is better in many tangible and intangible ways and even more for the UConn environment but I still appreciate what Caitlin can do.
@eebmg as you probably can see, I deleted my post because it was an unfair comparison.

Reaction Score
In todays game against Penn State. Clark had 12 pts after 3Q and was pretty cold and the game was still close and then she went nuts for 20 pts in the 4Q. 4-4 from 3 and really took control. She will have some strong support for end of year awards. She needs to score for Iowa to be really successful so she will have more 30+ games while Paige will continue to build up the confidence of her teammates by deferring in the Big East.
Her last couple big games have been more efficient and she even got her turnovers down to 4. She’s probably played her way into being an All-American. I‘d say third team now with a chance to move up to second with a win over Indiana or Michigan. She has some flaws, but 27 ppg on 48 percent shooting is outstanding. There could be two freshmen in the top 10 All-America spots.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The way I see it is Paige has more confidence in her teammates and would rather pass the ball to an open teammate for a higher percentage shot then throw up a low percentage circus shot. One plays for a 17-1 team (14-0) in conference and one plays for a 11-6 team (7-6 in conference).
Um, none of the statistics support your assertion. It boggles my mind when anyone compliments a non-UConn player, others have to immediately point out why UConn is better or why the player mentioned isn't as good or doesn't help her team much. Have you seen Clark play? The reason Iowa is 11-6 and 7-6 isn't because Clark doesn't make her teammates better, it's because her coach, Lisa Bluder doesn't teach DEFENSE. That Iowa team is a sieve.
Ms. Clark averages more assists than Paige so yes, she does have confidence in her teammates. The offense is predicated on her outside shooting and Czinano's inside game. She also has taken 113 free throws (7 a game!) with a 83% percentage which is also impressive for a guard.

I have said it before and will say it again, both these two are leading candidates for the 10 member WBCA All-American Team this year. This discussion is not an "either" "or" discussion, both are great players and worthy of what ever accolades come their way.

Reaction Score
I've watched several Iowa games this season. Caitlin is a shoot first guard. It's obvious Iowa relies on her to score and score often. She does the other things also, but they usually happen as sort of an after thought. A very good player with not much of a supporting cast around her.

Reaction Score
Clark has eight 30 point games so far tied EDD and the Ohio State player a few years ago. One more and she has the all time NCAA record.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ms. Clark averages more assists than Paige so yes, she does have confidence in her teammates. The offense is predicated on her outside shooting and Czinano's inside game. She also has taken 113 free throws (7 a game!) with a 83% percentage which is also impressive for a guard.

Clark's a terrific player but it's hard to compare her to Bueckers from a statistical standpoint. Clark has so much more freedom and is the initiator of Iowa's offense on almost every possession. I mean, Clark had more three-point attempts today than Bueckers had total shot attempts last night. Clark's allowed to come down and just fire threes from 25+ feet with no offensive sets, and shes talented enough to make a bunch of those. Bueckers would get pulled at UConn for doing that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why are you even asking this? It is not an either or record. The problem with too many posters on here is if another VERY good player is mentioned, people take perceived slights as at the UConn players. Clark IS a very worthy candidate for not only NFOY but also AA and Naismith consideration. She's that good. That is NOT denigrating Paige or UConn.
I'm glad someone from "our camp" beat me to this point.

Are people so terribly insecure that they can't bring themselves to appreciate or compliment another team's player?

Truly, doing so detracts not one iota from the greatness of UConn's players. And in the process one may even discover the healthful benefits of holding multiple thoughts in the brain at the same time.

Reaction Score
Are people so terribly insecure that they can't bring themselves to appreciate or compliment another team's player?
For many posters here, the answer is a resounding “Yes”. I am not the rabid fan many are on here, more an incredible appreciation of what Auriemma and Dailey have accomplished than any emotional association with the school or team. So I find the player adulation and Mother Hen protectiveness of same and conversely, the arrogant writing off of other players very early in their college careers, well, interesting. Not to mention the fairly rampant dismissing of and lack of respect for any non-Uconn players or programs and their accomplishments. Of course, this opinion is applicable to some, not all who post here. Unfortunately, enough that it creates a kind of “Damn Yankees” feel on many threads for this outsider basketball junkie.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark has eight 30 point games so far tied EDD and the Ohio State player a few years ago. One more and she has the all time NCAA record.
Is this referring to Freshman seasons only?

Reaction Score
Rather than get into arguments about who is better, suggest this is one of the most interesting groups of frosh in years. If you love women's college basketball, what a great way to spend our Covid influenced days and evenings. Usually there is at least one game on a night with one of these players.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The current NCAA leaders in 3-pt percentage are both freshman guards.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 9.10.00 AM.png

Reaction Score
I saw Caitlin over the holidays against OSU and she was a one woman wrecking crew. Looking at her stats I was surprised to see how many assists she has. With that being said, by the numbers Paige so efficient. It's amazing what she is doing as a freshman.

buekers-clark.JPG

Reaction Score
The way i look at it there hasn't been player in basketball like Paige since Bird retired, High praise indeed, but consider. Both:

Beyond fundamentally sound
Both clutch
Both great shooters
Both great leaders
Great teammates
Are without peer as passers
Make others around them better
Statistics don't begin to measure their total/true value
Same work ethic
Play hard
Seek out the best competition
Court vision
Court smarts
will go on the floor

And still there's more to both of them i that they have an indescribable something (like a hand emerged from the heavens and touched them) that allows them to play in a different dimension than most other people. Comparisons are just not fair

Like Bird said "I ain't much in the classroom but put me on a basketballl court and I'm an A+ student."

Now Geno needs to find the next Bill Walton

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hope Clay Kallam doesn't have to go into hiding for this....

Caitlin Clark is a horrid defender. She is a brilliant scorer, but her lack of interest and lack of fundamentals at that end of the floor remove her from my list.

She can shoot it, though ...

Reaction Score
Not even remotely, she is more like Sabrina Ionescu ...
I'll believe that when Clark becomes a triple-double machine (she has 1 this season). Indiana has a guard, Grace Berger, who has three triple-doubles already.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll believe that when Clark becomes a triple-double machine (she has 1 this season). Indiana has a guard, Grace Berger, who has three triple-doubles already.
That, and Ionescu wasn't a scoring machine like Clark. She could go for 25 or 30 any given game, but never averaged over 20 ppg for a season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom