Butler post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler post game thread

Reaction Score
Just got back home. I've defended the civic center for a long time, but we should never play another game in Hartford. The students are silent there now for whatever reason. We're the number 1 team in the country and play half our games on a borderline neutral court. I know the people who don't live in the area and attend games are probably sick of the argument. However, it's gotten worse than the AAC days downtown. I can't articulate how bad it's gotten. If you've been to games this year, you know.
Most downtowns in cities are dead these days. Hartford has been dead for a long time but Vaughans and Urban Lodge are good for pregame and they're right next to the XL Center. The XL Center is a total dump though, it's far past the useful life of an arena.

Reaction Score
"Their offense is like a great lasagna, there's always a next better layer". The offense always has a plan A, B, C, and D. Butler adjusted really well and jammed it up, but have enough patience and something will open up
  • There was a focus to get Clingan in the deep paint and he took advantage. Post hook looked good, 18pts/14reb/3blk/3ast. Thought he had 4 blocks but I only see 3 on the stats
  • Stewart gave up 1 three to Davis but otherwise played really well defensively in the 1st half. Good hedges, recoveries, switches, and post defense. Always like to shout him out
  • Butler built momentum and then Castle had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Cam/Newton had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Clingan/AK had a 6-0 run in 36 seconds to put us up double digits.
  • I'm not sure if I saw Cam Spencer sweating once this game, but had 20 points and 4 threes. First time we had a consecutive leading scorer?
What's the record for highest FT% in NCAA history, and how close to it is DJ Davis? 95+%, damn..Great game but Cam/Clingan > Davis/Telfort. Go Huskies!
Jordan last year?

Reaction Score
Most downtowns in cities are dead these days. Hartford has been dead for a long time but Vaughans and Urban Lodge are good for pregame and they're right next to the XL Center. The XL Center is a total dump though, it's far past the useful life of an arena.
I actually love going downtown to grab a drink before the game. I have no problem with the building even though it’s a dump. I just expect a better college atmosphere inside the arena from the students. It’s been too quiet for the #1 team in the country. Maybe I’m just spoiled.

Reaction Score
I actually love going downtown to grab a drink before the game. I have no problem with the building even though it’s a dump. I just expect a better college atmosphere inside the arena from the students. It’s been too quiet for the #1 team in the country. Maybe I’m just spoiled.
The next XL game will need a motivated crowd

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"Their offense is like a great lasagna, there's always a next better layer". The offense always has a plan A, B, C, and D. Butler adjusted really well and jammed it up, but have enough patience and something will open up
  • There was a focus to get Clingan in the deep paint and he took advantage. Post hook looked good, 18pts/14reb/3blk/3ast. Thought he had 4 blocks but I only see 3 on the stats
  • Stewart gave up 1 three to Davis but otherwise played really well defensively in the 1st half. Good hedges, recoveries, switches, and post defense. Always like to shout him out
  • Butler built momentum and then Castle had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Cam/Newton had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Clingan/AK had a 6-0 run in 36 seconds to put us up double digits.
  • I'm not sure if I saw Cam Spencer sweating once this game, but had 20 points and 4 threes. First time we had a consecutive leading scorer?
What's the record for highest FT% in NCAA history, and how close to it is DJ Davis? 95+%, damn..Great game but Cam/Clingan > Davis/Telfort. Go Huskies!
Those c;lutch plays were awesome and have to be frustrating to an opponent. Just when things seem in reach they dagger you. Great to see Newton and Karaban (aka the wounded) making big shots at the very end. Just love the unselfishness and everyone stepping up and contributing to big plays against a no quit well coached opponent.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many minutes Timberlake played against Houston but he had 1 rebound and zeros everywhere else. It’s amazing we missed out on our 1st choice and wound up with Cam.
Compare his numbers to Hassan Diarra or Ball--He'd have no where to play.

I threw Spencer in there for the heck of it :D

PlayerMinPTSTRBAST
Diarra195.62.92.3
Timberlake10.73.41.50.5
Ball17.14.41.40.4
Spencer3315.54.53.2

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Butler sag off of Donaven in the high post grew more as the game progressed. He had to hold the ball more as the defense packed the middle. We had trouble getting off good three point shots and running a pick and roll. Credit to Butler. We responded with some key 3's. This was a great game of responses by both teams, a fine example of X's and O's. Our missed layups were a problem.
The Donaven difference was well supported by Spencer especially in the first half. This game would have been a blow out if we had finished the last 30 seconds of the first half better. This needs to be a focus along with better inbounding plays.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I really think these 8:30 games create a bad effect on the team. Also think it impacts the crowd energy. I understand why it happens but it still stinks. Can’t wait too see how these new super conferences who have schools from three or four different time zones deal with this issue.

Reaction Score
I really think these 8:30 games create a bad effect on the team. Also think it impacts the crowd energy. I understand why it happens but it still stinks. Can’t wait too see how these new super conferences who have schools from three or four different time zones deal with this issue.
The time zones help. The 8:30 east coast time is only 5:30 tip in LA

Reaction Score
Hartford is an early town, this was a mid-week game. A late start like this favors a team from the mid-West. Many of us are in bed by 10, this makes watching the second half of these games a challenge.

Reaction Score
Honestly a better crowd than at Gampel v. Providence. XL crowds have been very good this year.
I was there (and am at all XL games). The crowd was very good to start — I texted my UConn friends it was full and loouud right before tip-off — and the place was really loud for the early going and first U-C-O-N-N chant.

Then when UConn went up 35-21, the whole place — players, fans — all seemed to relax and never really got back into it the same way after Butler’s run.

There’s been a vibe at XL games like the crowd is there to see a heavyweight fighter throw his big knockout punch. When we’ve landed it, the building has been rocking. When the other team takes the punch and hangs around, the crowd has seemed more restless than anything and the late tip only added to it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It looked and sounded completely dead on TV. Hope it was better in the building.

We were fine, loud and into the game. Maybe not our very very best crowd, but a very good crowd.

It was an 8:30 weekday game, we're not all students . And if I yelled too much, I started coughing. So there's that too

Reaction Score
I was there (and am at all XL games). The crowd was very good to start — I texted my UConn friends it was full and loouud right before tip-off — and the place was really loud for the early going and first U-C-O-N-N chant.

Then when UConn went up 35-21, the whole place — players, fans — all seemed to relax and never really got back into it the same way after Butler’s run.

There’s been a vibe at XL games like the crowd is there to see a heavyweight fighter throw his big knockout punch. When we’ve landed it, the building has been rocking. When the other team takes the punch and hangs around, the crowd has seemed more restless than anything and the late tip only added to it.

This... Haven't been to a game at the XL in a few years, but the vibe to me has always been the same. Crowd is psyched at the start, sees us get a lead, and then just kind of goes along with the rest of the game. There are obvious exceptions, but that seems to be the norm to me at least. Gampel is obviously better for the atmosphere, but my experience having attended games at other places it that our crowd is "bla" more often than not. I think it's a combo of complacency and just taking our success for granted. Just my $0.02.

Reaction Score
Cam and Clingan were good tonight. Everyone else... meh. And we still won pretty comfortably.

Credit to Butler for preventing us from getting a killshot run to pull away.

Butler is a good team, I think they're underappreciated... could see them make the sweet 16 with an upset or two with the right matchups.
Need to shoutout Hass too, he played really really well. Finished through contact, hit his FTs, strong defense and had some really nice fast break passes.

Reaction Score
Who does he do baseball for? He’s really good
Just got picked up by the Tigers but used to be with White Sox I think. I’ve always liked him on basketball games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom