Burton: “We want to be a leader in NIL in Group of Five” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Burton: “We want to be a leader in NIL in Group of Five”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Almost all the fanatical fans i know are alums or have kids that go there. Otherwise, very few people care enough to attend a game (except a big bball game) let alone donate significant money. We have pro teams to northeast and southwest and that's what people care about. And they are as bad as Uconn football right now. Connecticut is the center of sports hell in football, baseball, and hockey.
Almost all the fanatical fans I know didn't go to UConn. They're fanatical about UConn men's basketball, have always had season tickets...some going back like 50 years.

Don't really understand your point about pro sports. Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio etc. all have pro sports in their states, Connecticut doesn't.

Reaction Score
Per Capita is true but I am guessing that this # is skewed. The largest earners are probably a lot higher than the national average and skews the total per capita because of CTs relativity small population. Then you need to assume that a lot of these higher earners have an interest in sports and specifically UCONN to contribute to NIL.

CT's population of about 3.6m. Compare this to FL population of 21.2m. That is a much larger population that may be willing to donate, although in smaller per person contributions, but the overall amount has the potential to be greater.

Just because the per capita is greater does not necessarily mean that CTs NIL should be the highest in the nation.
Florida also has many more Public Institutions including 2 state flagship Universities.
We only have 1

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Because they are just handing out money.

The Bleeding Blue collective - they ask for the students to do something for charity in return for their money. Also means that Bleeding Blue is tax deductible, but giving to D'Amelio isn't.
I imagine that the use of the donation will be the determining factor for Bleeding Blue contributions.

The IRS has already deemed donations for the purpose of NIL as nondeductible.

Reaction Score
UConn did a good job developing the football fan base until the Fiesta Bowl. Then the program started a slow decline during the PP years and the decline accelerated under Diaco and RE 2.0. It seemed like the school was not focused on building the football program as they didn’t invest, but I sense the attitude has changed the last 2 years.

You have to developed the fan base before you can find the donors.

Reaction Score
I imagine that the use of the donation will be the determining factor for Bleeding Blue contributions.

The IRS has already deemed donations for the purpose of NIL as nondeductible.

If you go here and search for Bleeding Blue for Good - you will find the IRS 501c3 letter stating that donors can deduct contributions under IRC Section 70.

The D'Amelio collective has no such letter that I can find.

Reaction Score
Florida also has many more Public Institutions including 2 state flagship Universities.
We only have 1
My idea is that just because CT has the greatest per capita income the wealth is concentrated in fewer individuals. A state with a greater (much greater) population may actually have more high earning individuals than CT willing to contribute to an NIL program.

Reaction Score
My idea is that just because CT has the greatest per capita income the wealth is concentrated in fewer individuals. A state with a greater (much greater) population may actually have more high earning individuals than CT willing to contribute to an NIL program.
I agree- and actually only having only 1 state Flagship should make it easier to concentrate dollars rather than Michigan/MSU, Florida/FSU etc..

Reaction Score
Almost all the fanatical fans I know didn't go to UConn. They're fanatical about UConn men's basketball, have always had season tickets...some going back like 50 years.

Don't really understand your point about pro sports. Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio etc. all have pro sports in their states, Connecticut doesn't.
Interesting viewpoint on fanatical fans. Due to the small size of CT relative to midwest states, the average fan here probably has a shorter drive to pro sports than in WI OH etc. UConn football is not a sub for pro sports since we have good access on this area.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I am skeptical of the D'amelio collective. 10% goes to overhead per website. So if it gets up to $3 million then $300k for overhead??? That buys a lot of nice dinners and travel expenses and tickets for sporting events. And we get no say in which athletes get the money. Sounds sketchy?!!!!!
10% for a non-profit startup charity's overhead is very low let alone for a for profit organization. In general, QuickBooks recommends that a nonprofit should try not to exceed an overhead ratio of greater than 35%. It’s often recommended that you should attempt to reach an overhead rate of less than 10%. Anywhere between these two rates is the standard breadth you’ll find most nonprofits

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

If you go here and search for Bleeding Blue for Good - you will find the IRS 501c3 letter stating that donors can deduct contributions under IRC Section 70.

The D'Amelio collective has no such letter that I can find.
The D'Amelio is not a 501c3.

I imagine (as bleeding blue is also gong to participate as an NIL collective) that they will provide confirmation of taxable status for all donations. If a donation to them is directed (by the donor) for NIL us, that donation won't be deductible.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Never went to UConn, grew up in and around New Haven - been following the basketball team for 50 years (though no season tix). As you point out, there are lots of people like me.

Reaction Score
I am skeptical of the D'amelio collective. 10% goes to overhead per website. So if it gets up to $3 million then $300k for overhead??? That buys a lot of nice dinners and travel expenses and tickets for sporting events. And we get no say in which athletes get the money. Sounds sketchy?!!!!!
I signed up to pay the collective $25/month. I just received a sticker, lanyard, t shirt, and a gift card to Ted’s. They shipped everything to my home out in the West Coast. I doubt that they are making money off of me. Maybe D’Amelio can offer better NIL packages to athletes by leveraging his marketing data when finding larger corporate sponsors.

Reaction Score

I have a real hard time believing that all of these schools have that kind of money.

Particularly now that we are hearing things about Texas A&M’s NIL being not as big as advertised and Michigan State’s collective folding.

Reaction Score
I have a real hard time believing that all of these schools have that kind of money.

Particularly now that we are hearing things about Texas A&M’s NIL being not as big as advertised and Michigan State’s collective folding.
Agreed, but I mean Texas A&M's boosters already have to pay $75 million in buyout plus a new coach, so I think that may be understandable as they have their resources directed there instead of NIL. But Michigan State folding and the complaints from places that I thought would have little trouble raising money are interesting.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I mean Texas A&M's boosters already have to pay $75 million in buyout plus a new coach, so I think that may be understandable as they have their resources directed there instead of NIL. But Michigan State folding and the complaints from places that I thought would have little trouble raising money are interesting.

I think we can all agree that Texas A&M is an outlier.

And there is also this:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Nope. Sorry.
There should be enough money to support hoops but football will require a major change. A team needs 50 or 70guys who can make an impact, at least a dozen star players and at least two P4 quarterbacks who can actually play well. And that is ami imum if you want a major bowl. NIL is making the rich very richer.

Reaction Score
I just got my two kids Spring semester tuition bills....not UConn
Just trying to scrape together enough money to get them through school.
I hear you totally. Been there done that. Had 3 in college at same time. (all in NC)

Its rough but your children will definitely appreciate the openings you've given them.

After that, its all on them to sell themselves and be productive/successful. You did your part. Be proud!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Jason Belzer says a top tight end is worth around $100k in the portal, but word on the street is that our TE just got around TRIPLE that to go to Tennessee.

So all these numbers are outdated and understated. Chumps like us are trying to adjust to, “the big boys spent $1.5M on transfers last year”… while the big boys have kept growing and are probably spending at least triple what they did last year. We need more money!

Reaction Score
The D'Amelio is not a 501c3.

I imagine (as bleeding blue is also gong to participate as an NIL collective) that they will provide confirmation of taxable status for all donations. If a donation to them is directed (by the donor) for NIL us, that donation won't be deductible.
It appears that the IRS has determined that donations to an NIL collective will not be tax deductible because they are not in furtherance of an educational purpose. Burton may initially have qualified for 501(c)3 status, but I don't think that will hold up if the money goes to NIL.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Nope. Sorry.
Disagree. The Big East and Hockey East are both power conferences in everything but football. We are independent in football, not a member of a G5 conference.

Reaction Score
Jason Belzer says a top tight end is worth around $100k in the portal, but word on the street is that our TE just got around TRIPLE that to go to Tennessee.

So all these numbers are outdated and understated. Chumps like us are trying to adjust to, “the big boys spent $1.5M on transfers last year”… while the big boys have kept growing and are probably spending at least triple what they did last year. We need more money!
We are not trying to compete with the big boys, at least not yet. I mean I don't think Burton could have spell it out any easier "We want to be a leader in NIL in GROUP OF FIVE" emphasis on group of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom