Bracketology 3/4/24 | The Boneyard

Bracketology 3/4/24

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Interesting that he still has Ohio State a 1 seed and Iowa as a 2 seed.
A couple matchups I noticed that I find intriguing:
SoCar/Golden Domers
Stanford/LSU

Luckily I am guessing that the Committee selections will be different, especially after the conference tournaments are over.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"In a campaign during which several key players have been lost for the season, Sunday brought potentially more injury casualties that could greatly impact the seeding of some top teams. Virginia Tech's Elizabeth Kitley, Indiana's Mackenzie Holmes and Iowa's Molly Davis all left their final regular-season games -- on senior day, no less -- with apparent knee injuries. Their severity of injury isn't known yet, but if any of them can't play in the postseason, there will be ramifications. Teams are selected for the field based on their entire résumé, so losing a star or key contributor doesn't damage any teams' NCAA tournament hopes. But injuries can impact seeding if those players aren't available for NCAA tourney games. The Hokies' chances for a No. 1 seed disappeared Sunday with a loss to Virginia, but a top-16 finish also could evaporate if Kitley is out. The same for Indiana and Holmes. One other note: The Pac-12's hopes for six teams in the top 16 were dashed when Utah lost to Washington.

ND back in, Oklahoma out.
1709575184607.jpeg

1709575149022.jpeg

Reaction Score
While Charlie Creme has promoted LSU to a#2 seed, the committee might not be as generous. They have downgraded LSU in the past due to their very weak non conference schedule (#274). Plus, the only other top 25 SEC team is South Carolina, dropping LSU's overall SOS & RPI.

Reaction Score
Yes, you have to defeat all comers the national championship is the goal. On the other hand different paths present different pros and cons. Do you want to be a 2 in SC's bracket or a 3 somewhere else?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
While Charlie Creme has promoted LSU to a#2 seed, the committee might not be as generous. They have downgraded LSU in the past due to their very weak non conference schedule (#274). Plus, the only other top 25 SEC team is South Carolina, dropping LSU's overall SOS & RPI.
The committee itself ranked LSU #9 overall last week, and Virginia Tech lost twice since then, so ...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can't believe that CC still has Miami going to the dance, they were 10-1 going into conference play and are now 18-11. Their non-conference schedule had only 2 teams in Massey's Top 100, at Baylor #10 and at Mississippi St #42. They beat Miss St 74-68, with Miss St missing two key starters and lost to Baylor 75-57. The rest of their non-conference play was rated between 103-322.

Reaction Score
UConn is not in a good place right now for matchups but with three convincing wins in the Big East Tournament they will move up a couple spots. They will play hard, they will compete, but they can't overcome opponents that have multiple players that are 6'3 plus. They are better than Ohio State or any other team in the Big Ten and will beat any team they matchup with so the seeding is key. They really need to be in the bracket with the 2 or 3 overall seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I can't believe that CC still has Miami going to the dance, they were 10-1 going into conference play and are now 18-11. Their non-conference schedule had only 2 teams in Massey's Top 100, at Baylor #10 and at Mississippi St #42. They beat Miss St 74-68, with Miss St missing two key starters and lost to Baylor 75-57. The rest of their non-conference play was rated between 103-322.
I have never been accused of being a Miami fan, but unfortunately NC State and Duke fulfilled their contractual obligations to play down to the opposition and as a result Miami now has a better resume than the teams that are nearest the cut line.

Reaction Score
If UConn were promoted to the last 2 seed, that would probably put us in
the same regional with South Carolina. I think I'd rather be a high 3 seed.
If they follow the S-curve. you don't want be 8 or 9 (worst 2 or best 3). 6/7/10/11 would be better. What I can't figure out is why Connecticut's seeding is so far off from their NET ranking of 2 (which matches Massey). Injuries, possibly, but their successful post-Texas stretch has been with the players they have now.,

Plebe

Reaction Score
If they follow the S-curve. you don't want be 8 or 9 (worst 2 or best 3). 6/7/10/11 would be better. What I can't figure out is why Connecticut's seeding is so far off from their NET ranking of 2 (which matches Massey). Injuries, possibly, but their successful post-Texas stretch has been with the players they have now.,
NET doesn't determine the seeding. Recall that LSU last year was #3 in the NET and only got a 3 seed, and Oregon at #19 didn't even get a bid. Last week Utah was #7 in the NET and didn't make the committee's top 16.

The big weakness in UConn's resume this year is a lack of high-quality wins. It's nice that we have no bad losses, but we're the only team in the top 16 to have no wins over other top 16 teams.

Reaction Score
The only advantage is that some other good team gets the opportunity to try and knock off SC before UConn has to do it. Chances are sooner or later you have to go through SC. Nice if it was game #6, but if it's game #4 or #5 you still have to beat them.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What is better, playing in Albany in South Carolinas bracket, or in Portland with Stanford or UCLA? I truly believe we cannot beat SC, but we have not played well out of our region. To get to the F4, we would have to play great, and have a little luck to get by these teams that crushed us during the season. Personally, I think we may have a tough time getting to the Sweet 16 if we don't play well and don't get a good match-up as an opponent. At any rate, whomever we play, and wherever we play, we will have to play great in every game. I know it will be more exciting, I just think it also can be heartbreaking. Good luck to us, we are UConn which means there will always be a chance for greatness. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Even when UConn had a much better team and stronger teams in their conference, they still were bothered by not having good enough opposition before the NCAA's. The Big East has to be the weakest conference they were in for quite some time. Creighton is over rated at 21. They do not have a single win over a good team.

Reaction Score
As I recall, the last conference they were in wasn’t exactly a powerhouse
Except for the bare knuckle brawls with the 2 Florida teams, not much competition
I mean, how many games were even close in 7 years?

Reaction Score
If UConn can get some help today it would be tremendous. Currently the team is viewed as a #3 per Charlie. If Arizona can beat USC or Utah top UCLA then UConn win out that should be enough to move us to the #2 line. We need yo be the third #2 seed to avoid South Carolina

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom