Bourbon & Rye | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Reaction Score
Saw a Facebook post that a local shop had an Eagle Rare store pick for $40, so I grabbed it. Nobody at that store picked anything other than their own ass, but still it’s a good one at a good price.

Jack Daniels is just bourbon. Tennessee whiskey has no legal definition and Wild Turkey Longbranch is is also charcoal filtered @McLovin, give it a try. Much better than regular JD. The JD Single Barrels I’ve have have been good.

The SBBP offerings are always fantastic. Especially the ones in the 130+ proof, just delicious.

Reaction Score
Recently scored some true " unicorn " samples, a Stagg Jr batch 14, and a Russell's Reserve batch 2. I would pay good money for more of the Stagg, a truly amazing pour and I see why folks revere it. I would rather not drink whiskey again than have the RR a second time or pay what folks get for it. I don't get why folks revere that one. Though the couple of other WT products I have had didn't suit me either. So perhaps that distiller and myself just aren't meant to be. Anyone else have either of them and have feedback that is the same or wildly different?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Recently scored some true " unicorn " samples, a Stagg Jr batch 14, and a Russell's Reserve batch 2. I would pay good money for more of the Stagg, a truly amazing pour and I see why folks revere it. I would rather not drink whiskey again than have the RR a second time or pay what folks get for it. I don't get why folks revere that one. Though the couple of other WT products I have had didn't suit me either. So perhaps that distiller and myself just aren't meant to be. Anyone else have either of them and have feedback that is the same or wildly different?
Not sure about those batches. I've had a few Stagg Jr. bottles. All were hot and barely drinkable at the neck pour, then rounded out after being open a long time and became very good. I've had lots of RR store picks and non picks, and all have been good, some have been great.

I think we all likely have styles we prefer. For example, OF just doesn't do it for me. Even the single barrel store picks everyone wanted. 1920 is just ok. I find it a bit too bitter and dry. Elijah Craig BP is another I like but don't love as some do. I tend to really like the best bottles from BT, WT and Beam. Plus I often like MGP bourbon, but not always the rye (I don't like dill). New Riff has potential to be on my good list too. Dickel...that Flintstone vitamin note is off putting.

Reaction Score
Not sure about those batches. I've had a few Stagg Jr. bottles. All were hot and barely drinkable at the neck pour, then rounded out after being open a long time and became very good. I've had lots of RR store picks and non picks, and all have been good, some have been great.

I think we all likely have styles we prefer. For example, OF just doesn't do it for me. Even the single barrel store picks everyone wanted. 1920 is just ok. I find it a bit too bitter and dry. Elijah Craig BP is another I like but don't love as some do. I tend to really like the best bottles from BT, WT and Beam. Plus I often like MGP bourbon, but not always the rye (I don't like dill). New Riff has potential to be on my good list too. Dickel...that Flintstone vitamin note is off putting.

The RR was just bitter and hot. &^er may have given me the neck pour, no telling. He was not all that impressed either fwiw.

OF is hit and miss for me. LOVE the rye for old fashioneds. Was not a fan of the 1920, to me its to medicinal cherry. Then I tried 1910 and its amazing stuff. Could just be those few less proof points from the 20, or its aged elsewhere etc. I have an OF single barrel I traded for and it was a hot freaking mess on open. Have not gone back yet, been letting it settle.

Love ECBP but the small batch is crap lol. I have liked most BT products, love KC, Bookers etc. But me and WT stuff dont seem to mesh. Some MGP stuff I have had is amazing. Those folks know what they are about.

Its amazing how our palates are with this boozy brown water. Cheers!

Reaction Score
Was talking Bourbon and Scotch with a local package store owner the other day and mentioned that I hadn't seen Blanton's in a couple of years and he said he had a bottle behind the counter. He said he won't put in on the shelf because there are too many opportunists taking Bourbons to the secondary market. Out the door for $80. I was pretty excited about that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I went to my local shop to get Champagne today for V Day and I evidently won a raffle. Two nice bottles of Privateer rum and a Mad River bourbon.

E290C225-D0A8-4DDD-B9E0-76A03578C060.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought I remember @Fishy mentioning an infinity bottle that he keeps, but didn't see it in this thread. I just started one. I've been finding that when I get to the bottom of a bottle, I'm left with too big of a pour, or I go with my desired pour and only have a smidge left.

I started with two bottles that were just about kicked. A bit of Michter's US1 Small Batch and a bit of Barrel Bourbon. For any that do an infinity bottle do you track what and how much you are adding and when? When do you start drinking from the bottle and do you try to keep it from going below a certain level? Do you try to deliberately create tastes and profiles or just let it rip? Any other tips?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought I remember @Fishy mentioning an infinity bottle that he keeps, but didn't see it in this thread. I just started one. I've been finding that when I get to the bottom of a bottle, I'm left with too big of a pour, or I go with my desired pour and only have a smidge left.

I started with two bottles that were just about kicked. A bit of Michter's US1 Small Batch and a bit of Barrel Bourbon. For any that do an infinity bottle do you track what and how much you are adding and when? When do you start drinking from the bottle and do you try to keep it from going below a certain level? Do you try to deliberately create tastes and profiles or just let it rip? Any other tips?

I really didn’t track it, but I generally know what was in it.

I just tried to keep to two rules…nothing with peat as that would take over and I generally kept it 3/4 full. The upside/downside is that you can get it to a really good place and then the next thing you add can blow it up.

My recommendation is that if you get a blend that you really like, stop adding and start a new bottle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How was yours?

What's the general consensus on the private editions? I got a Barrell one and liked it. Picked up this Makers.

We enjoyed it. They're neat additions to a liquor shelf or good to bring to a friend's house as something different.

But, I'll say the same thing I say about the Jefferson's Ocean. At that price point I think I can do better. I say that knowing I don't have the most refined pallet nor do I care. I can give about 2-3 flavors or spice profiles and then I'm over my head.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How was yours?

What's the general consensus on the private editions? I got a Barrell one and liked it. Picked up this Makers.
Barrel is going to be different than Makers. Barrel is blending different things in most cases. They source from more than one distillery (but a lot of it is Dickel).

Maker's uses some odd combinations of staves to produce some variations between different store selections. They can be amazing if you like what they did, or very much not. Makers is also a wheater, no rye in the mashbill. So certain wood can overpower it a bit.

Lots of good stuff out there.

Reaction Score
Barrel is going to be different than Makers. Barrel is blending different things in most cases. They source from more than one distillery (but a lot of it is Dickel).

Maker's uses some odd combinations of staves to produce some variations between different store selections. They can be amazing if you like what they did, or very much not. Makers is also a wheater, no rye in the mashbill. So certain wood can overpower it a bit.

Yeah, I was just wondering about the general consensus on the Private Selections from stores. I was happy with the Barrell I got, but I like the Seagrass, Dovetail and Armida better (just bought, but haven't tried Vantage yet), and it was the same price. The Maker's tasted like an elevated Maker's. A bit more substantial.

I guess the private selections are kind of crap shoots. You can't really get reviews. The price on both were in my typical "nice pour" range (I think the Barrell was $75 and the Maker's was $70) so I was happy with both. I don't know that I'd pull the trigger if it was over $100 unless I had some way of getting a review or taste.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was just wondering about the general consensus on the Private Selections from stores. I was happy with the Barrell I got, but I like the Seagrass, Dovetail and Armida better (just bought, but haven't tried Vantage yet), and it was the same price. The Maker's tasted like an elevated Maker's. A bit more substantial.

I guess the private selections are kind of crap shoots. You can't really get reviews. The price on both were in my typical "nice pour" range (I think the Barrell was $75 and the Maker's was $70) so I was happy with both. I don't know that I'd pull the trigger if it was over $100 unless I had some way of getting a review or taste.
Everyone has different views. My general thoughts divide somewhat on whether a store pick is just a specific single barrel of a normally single barrel product, or is something unique. Also, not all stores are the same. Many don't do any actual "picking". I'm fortunate with two local stores that have great reputations and real people going to pick barrels. NH is the only state that does that by the way, for control states.
  • Knob Creek single barrel store picks are usually worth it and rarely have a premium.
  • Russell's Reserve SiB store picks are good, but not usually worth a premium over RR SiB on shelves
  • Four Roses store picks are expensive, but excellent. It's a product you can't get in non store pick form. Regular 4R SiB is a different thing.
  • Makers store picks can be good, are a bit expensive and like 4R aren't something you can get in a regular version. There is no comparable normal product except the annual limited releases.
  • Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace - not usually worth any premium (often there is none)
  • Whistle Pig 10 store picks seem to be much better than the regular product
  • Barrell store picks aren't very different from the regular bourbon releases. The other Barrell products you mentioned are already fairly unique and diverse.
  • Jack Daniels SiB store picks are good, but like Russell's not necessarily better than a normal SiB.
  • High West finishes and store picks are a total crapshoot. Can be great or meh.
  • Tumbling Dice store picks have been excellent.
  • Craft bourbon store picks - total crapshoot. Try first if you can.

Reaction Score
Many don't do any actual "picking". I'm fortunate with two local stores that have great reputations and real people going to pick barrels.

Where I work the staff pics like 9/10, some are sent by the distiller, some of them bring it out ( Barrell as an example ).

• Knob Creek single barrel store picks are usually worth it and rarely have a premium

Almost always a grab for me, and have not had a bad one yet.

• Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace - not usually worth any premium (often there is none)

Agree, have had several and the originals are actually better.

• Barrell store picks aren't very different from the regular bourbon releases. The other Barrell products you mentioned are already fairly unique and diverse.

We depart opinions here. Our store has done, I think 5 or 6, and without question, none of the standard products come close to those. Better flavors, ages etc. Perhaps we have just had good luck, and our rep and the folks are Barrell do love us ( we are their top in market seller ). Who knows but I always look forward to our newest Barrell ones.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Kinda funny you mention the wheat mashbill of the Maker's. Was drinking some of the Maker's 46 last night. Mrs. Diesel isn't a fan of it, she says it gives her headaches (insert joke here). She was enjoying some Four Roses Single Barrel (which, OBTW, for the under $50 price range, Four Roses Single Barrel is a great pour).

A few years ago I realized wheat beers often gave me an itchy, scratchy throat and almost felt like having seasonal allergies so I quickly dumped drinking those beers. Last night with the Maker's I was getting the same reaction and I told Mrs. Diesel I felt like I was drinking wheat beer.

Short story long, I don't know my point. Mrs. Diesel is laid up tonight with a stomach virus and I'm drinking the J Henry Wisconsin bourbon I mentioned back in December. Still a great pour.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Kinda funny you mention the wheat mashbill of the Maker's. Was drinking some of the Maker's 46 last night. Mrs. Diesel isn't a fan of it, she says it gives her headaches (insert joke here). She was enjoying some Four Roses Single Barrel (which, OBTW, for the under $50 price range, Four Roses Single Barrel is a great pour).

A few years ago I realized wheat beers often gave me an itchy, scratchy throat and almost felt like having seasonal allergies so I quickly dumped drinking those beers. Last night with the Maker's I was getting the same reaction and I told Mrs. Diesel I felt like I was drinking wheat beer.

Short story long, I don't know my point. Mrs. Diesel is laid up tonight with a stomach virus and I'm drinking the J Henry Wisconsin bourbon I mentioned back in December. Still a great pour.
Well don’t blame gluten. One if the more brilliant but dumb marketing moves ever was when Tito’s labeled itself as gluten free. I know people who bought it for that. Yet gluten doesn’t survive the distillation process in anything. It does in beer though.

Reaction Score
Well don’t blame gluten. One if the more brilliant but dumb marketing moves ever was when Tito’s labeled itself as gluten free. I know people who bought it for that. Yet gluten doesn’t survive the distillation process in anything. It does in beer though.

Unsure what prompted this but it made me think of this I saw on Instagram recently

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I thought all vodkas were gluten free.

Didn't realize bourbon, whiskey and rum were all gluten free too.

Doesn't bother me if they use it for advertising for their own product so long as they don't make it seem like they are gluten free but other contain gluten.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought all vodkas were gluten free.

Didn't realize bourbon, whiskey and rum were all gluten free too.

Doesn't bother me if they use it for advertising for their own product so long as they don't make it seem like they are gluten free but other contain gluten.
Anything distilled is gluten free. Tito’s was brilliant to call it out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

@HuskyHawk .

We may have found the culprit. Was out of town from work and returned home tonight.

Mrs Diesel and I had sampled a few bourbon this evening and I started to sneeze. She said I do it every time I drink the Maker's 46.

No biggie. I can easily sideline that and not miss a thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk .

We may have found the culprit. Was out of town from work and returned home tonight.

Mrs Diesel and I had sampled a few bourbon this evening and I started to sneeze. She said I do it every time I drink the Maker's 46.

No biggie. I can easily sideline that and not miss a thing.
It’s not even that good. But it’s not gluten!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom