Bourbon & Rye | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Blanton's is under 100 proof, so maybe seek out some other bourbons that have some age at about that proof. The 9 year Knob Creek (especially any Single Barrels) might be a good one. Blanton's and Eagle Rare are too hard to find now. Too much demand and allocated. My favorite mid proof bourbon right now is probably Four Roses Small Batch Select. Highly recommend it.

Love the Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrels.

Great booze at that price point. Easy sipping without being boring.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love the Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrels.

Great booze at that price point. Easy sipping without being boring.
Most reliable bourbon along with Knob Creek single barrel and wild turkey stuff like rare breed. Small Batch Select is really good stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Was kind of surprised but I went into a local store and was able to just buy Eagle Rare on the shelf. It was $50 instead of the $36 I used to pay.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Was recently gifted a bottle of this. Haven't popped it open yet, but it looks promising.

1666629915893.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Was recently gifted a bottle of this. Haven't popped it open yet, but it looks promising.

View attachment 80032
Weird review from that guy (not many have had licorice?), but it sounds like it should be pretty decent. 4+ years in full sized barrels is usually going to get over that hurdle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Weird review from that guy (not many have had licorice?), but it sounds like it should be pretty decent. 4+ years in full sized barrels is usually going to get over that hurdle.

Here's another review. Nothing earth shattering but I'll give it a try or three.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here's another review. Nothing earth shattering but I'll give it a try or three.

It's not going to be bad. If you want bad, get some Balcones Rye. Good Lord, I thought the Mad River bourbon was bad. I mix the Balcones Rye with red wine to make it drinkable. It would probably take the rust off my iron railings on the front steps.

Reaction Score
My favorite under $30 (NC price) bourbon in 1792 small batch, just tasty. I also enjoy Eagle Rare, Four Roses single barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Makers Mark Cask strength and Michters small batch. Nothing really surprising here.

Bourbon is pretty much the only alcohol I drink now, enjoy it neat and often. Lol.

Reaction Score
My favorite under $30 (NC price) bourbon in 1792 small batch, just tasty. I also enjoy Eagle Rare, Four Roses single barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Makers Mark Cask strength and Michters small batch. Nothing really surprising here.

Bourbon is pretty much the only alcohol I drink now, enjoy it neat and often. Lol.

Charlotte area?

Reaction Score
Just tried some wild turkey “Kentucky spirit” and tasted it up against Blantons and two different maker’s limited and I liked it the best of the bunch.

Also bought the Barrell batch 31 and it’s great, thanks to all the Barrell heads

Reaction Score
Just tried some wild turkey “Kentucky spirit” and tasted it up against Blantons and two different maker’s limited and I liked it the best of the bunch.

Also bought the Barrell batch 31 and it’s great, thanks to all the Barrell heads
I will have to check that out. Blantons is my favorite for now but I can only get it in selected bars in Central FL.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone ever taste this? It's among bottles of a new dog client. Never saw nor heard of "aged at sea".

View attachment 80156
The aging at sea is utter nonsense. It’s overpriced but still is pretty good.

+1 on this feedback. I've had it once or twice. Neat bottle to have on hand to start a conversation. It's plenty to good to serve to friends neat or on the rocks.

I've been out at sea across the pond a few times. I don't ever remember being out there staring at the ocean blue in all directions, taking a deep breath and thinking, yeah, this will make for a better bourbon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And?
It's really quite rich and flavorful. Probably best with an ice cube or bit of water. There's a lot going on, so I need to give it another go.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The aging at sea is utter nonsense. It’s overpriced but still is pretty good.
Yes most likely purely marketing - they maintain that the wave motion allow more whiskey to come in contact with the barrel. Fun to read where the ship went.

That said, I just bought the Jefferson Ocean wheated bourbon (new release) which I've been sipping on and really enoying!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't know (duh) there was a bourbon thread, been enjoying the scotch thread since it started!

Anyone try the Weller Antique 107? I just overspent for a bottle but I probably won't open until Christmas so appreciate any tasting thoughts.

Reaction Score
Just picked up a bottle of Barrel Seagrass on sale for $69. I like the Dovetail a bit better, but at that price it made sense to pick up a bottle for when I finish my current one.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't know (duh) there was a bourbon thread, been enjoying the scotch thread since it started!

Anyone try the Weller Antique 107? I just overspent for a bottle but I probably won't open until Christmas so appreciate any tasting thoughts.
Some people absolutely love it. I don‘t, comes across as a cinnamon bomb to me. I’ve had the regular and a few store picks. But I know others who have it as their favorite bourbon. Hopefully you like it but don’t crave it, because the taters made it too hard to get now.

Reaction Score
This should be a good one

Attachments

• 20221119_204709.jpg
    20221119_204709.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 69

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads