Bouk nailed to the bench in opener | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bouk nailed to the bench in opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Solet these guys run the show rather than the coaches and execs?
For the most part the players do run the show and the coaches and execs are mainly there to guide them and provide structure. The best coaches in the NBA are the ones that let the players do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to game time.

Reaction Score
For the most part the players do run the show and the coaches and execs are mainly there to guide them and provide structure. The best coaches in the NBA are the ones that let the players do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to game time.
Maybe the superstars can run the show but not lottery picks who are not ready to carry the load.

Reaction Score
SportsCenter tonight called out how impressive the Hornets bench was. 40 points scored (on 20 shots) from essentially just 3 guys, who were +24 (McDaniels), +27 (Martin), and +16 (Ish Smith), as the Hornets improved to 4-1.

Reaction Score
SportsCenter tonight called out how impressive the Hornets bench was. 40 points scored (on 20 shots) from essentially just 3 guys, who were +24 (McDaniels), +27 (Martin), and +16 (Ish Smith), as the Hornets improved to 4-1.
Hornets are a young team. Their weakest positions are prob Center &. backup PG. Unfortunate for Bouk, his playmaking for others is one of his weaker skills coming in. If/when those skills improve, he’ll be taking minutes from Ish. If it doesn’t happen, he’ll be sitting more than not

Reaction Score
Kupcheck has a track record with LA and like the Celtics rookies don't play until their time is spent learning the ropes.
You have to play defense or you don't play. Good teams like Charlotte is this year do it with defense. Ish is no surprise.

Reaction Score
I am not a big NBA fan. Can someone tell me if there are any other circumstances of a lottery pick getting next to zero minutes 5 games in?

Reaction Score
I am not a big NBA fan. Can someone tell me if there are any other circumstances of a lottery pick getting next to zero minutes 5 games in?
Yeah it happens to a few guys a year generally. Kira Lewis last year had 7 DNPs in his first 9 games, other 2 games less than 10 minutes. Jalen Smith got minutes in game 1, brief minutes in game 2, and then 11 straight DNPs (with some injury mixed in).

Reaction Score

Some. Not many guys that end up being very good though.

Reaction Score
Something is going behind the scene with JB that we are not aware of. He did not play against the Orlando magic.

Reaction Score
It’s really not that big of a deal. Lamb was drafted 11th and didn’t play for three seasons

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It’s really not that big of a deal. Lamb was drafted 11th and didn’t play for three seasons
12th, and he played a lot his second season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-175642.png
    Screenshot_20211028-175642.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 77
Reaction Score
Those who are saying to relax it’s a long season are correct. Those saying that it sucks and is rare for a lottery pick not to be getting time are correct too. I’ll be pretty pissed for James if he’s not playing after 15 games or so. Best way to develop is to play and gain experience and be allowed to make mistakes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Something is going behind the scene with JB that we are not aware of.

Different team same old stuff. I hope things turn out ok for Bouk in many ways

Reaction Score
My thought is the Bouknight wasn’t physically developed to the level of an NBA star. He really needed another full college season. He was drafted almost exclusively on potential, not current ability. Not sure that is a good practice, but many teams do it. It is understandable why the players do it. Not so much why the teams do, though I suppose the get as many hits as misses. I also don’t think he is a budding star. More like one of those guys who has a career as a Steady guy Who plays but never is the guy.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Charlotte is wing-heavy & their rotation is sporadic. If he wants minutes on a playoff caliber team, he needs to take them with how he practices each day. I hope he takes everything personally & uses it as fuel to grow as a player - just like his new “mentor” used to.

Frustrating to watch talent like his ride the bench, while league journeymen are eating his minutes. Hope he can force the coaches hand with his play soon enough.

Reaction Score
Those who are saying to relax it’s a long season are correct. Those saying that it sucks and is rare for a lottery pick not to be getting time are correct too. I’ll be pretty pissed for James if he’s not playing after 15 games or so. Best way to develop is to play and gain experience and be allowed to make mistakes.
Is it rare? Just thinking of Romeo Langford and a few others

Reaction Score
My thought is the Bouknight wasn’t physically developed to the level of an NBA star. He really needed another full college season. He was drafted almost exclusively on potential, not current ability. Not sure that is a good practice, but many teams do it. It is understandable why the players do it. Not so much why the teams do, though I suppose the get as many hits as misses. I also don’t think he is a budding star. More like one of those guys who has a career as a Steady guy Who plays but never is the guy.
Thats been the case for a while, NBA teams draft on potential all the time. Thats why in the case with Bouknight leaving early, It wasn't about If he can make an immediate impact in the NBA. He was drafted exclusively on potential, like you said in your post. The only confusing thing is that it seemed like Bouk played relatively well in pre season, and now that the real season started, he has barely seen the floor.

Reaction Score
Just stating for the record that all of us who were deemed Bouknight haters never said he wouldn't make money entering the draft, just that another year of college would help him develop an NBA body and would have better long term career staying in Storrs. I still hope to proved wrong...sincerely

Reaction Score
Just stating for the record that all of us who were deemed Bouknight haters never said he wouldn't make money entering the draft, just that another year of college would help him develop an NBA body and would have better long term career staying in Storrs. I still hope to proved wrong...sincerely

Curious post. His body won't stop developing because he's collecting a paycheck. Same with the rest of his development.

Reaction Score
Is it rare? Just thinking of Romeo Langford and a few others
There's usually 1 or 2 every year, so not too rare. What's rare is the lottery pick who doesn't play his rookie year and then actually ends up being good. Always exceptions like Jeremy Lamb or potentially someone like Obi Toppin this year. I'll have to find the stat, I saw it mentioned when Obi wasn't playing much last year

Edit: Much easier than I thought, should have just tried to find it first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak