2024 Recruiting: - Boogie Fland down to eight schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Boogie Fland down to eight schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's Kentucky more than Calipari. If he went back to UMass he'd have a far more difficult time recruiting top players.
Well, he did beat JC for Marcus Camby and a couple other very good recruits.

Reaction Score
Yeah because he cheated lol. And it cost them forfeited wins and a forfeited Final Four.
Clearly he does not care, cheated everywhere he has been. Amazingly only discovered after he is gone. Probably paying the ncaa top guys as well

Reaction Score
Clearly he does not care, cheated everywhere he has been. Amazingly only discovered after he is gone. Probably paying the ncaa top guys as well
Of course not but it makes his “accomplishments” easy to discredit for anyone really paying attention. There will be asterisks on everything the dude ever accomplished.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah because he cheated lol. And it cost them forfeited wins and a forfeited Final Four.
I salute your unwillingness to let this go!
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Oh that wasn't tongue in cheek. I am in complete agreement. I periodically post my manifesto about Bill Self on here.
Oh I know. Amen to all of that. Frankly any recruit that buys his pitch and would play for him is not one id want anyway. I want more of the caliber of young men that have been coming to Storrs the past several years.

Reaction Score
I guess the super-hyped recruits can be problematic if they get on campus and aren't immediately the star. Guys a notch below, from a hype if not talent level, likely have more patience and a desire to prove something and less likely to be disruptive. That could explain why Duke, UNC, UK have failed to win recently despite getting the highest rated recruits year after year.

Reaction Score
Probably that our two previous coaches got us on probation and Calhoun had wins vacated.
I’ve never defended KO here, though I think it’s unproductive to bash him friendly fire style. He has many former teammates who love him, and bashing him hurts the overall mission. I can’t defend what Calhoun, but I also think it is disingenuous to compare what Calhoun’s infractions were to Calipari’s. Cal had issues at multiple programs. And had issues that tainted deep tournament runs. Nobody has accused Calhoun of anything that affected his 3 championships or 4 Final Fours that I’m aware of. I don’t put the indiscretions on the same level.

Reaction Score
I’ve never defended KO here, though I think it’s unproductive to bash him friendly fire style. He has many former teammates who love him, and bashing him hurts the overall mission. I can’t defend what Calhoun, but I also think it is disingenuous to compare what Calhoun’s infractions were to Calipari’s. Cal had issues at multiple programs. And had issues that tainted deep tournament runs. Nobody has accused Calhoun of anything that affected his 3 championships or 4 Final Fours that I’m aware of. I don’t put the indiscretions on the same level.
Just responding to Waquoit responding to your statement that you like head coaches who don't have wins vacated and don't put your team on probation.

Reaction Score
Just responding to Waquoit responding to your statement that you like head coaches who don't have wins vacated and don't put your team on probation.
Also the last I checked, Dan Hurley is the coach. So there’s that too. And nobody has accused him of running a dirty program. Ever.

Reaction Score
Plus any long term fan that still doesn’t hold a grudge for Marcus Camby is likely lying. It is personal lol.

Reaction Score
Plus any long term fan that still doesn’t hold a grudge for Marcus Camby is likely lying. It is personal lol.
We wanted Camby, no question. But, he - at least according to rumor, needed to take classes like basket weaving to pass. I don’t know if that is true.

Here’s what I believe - and may not be correct. I think sometimes the edges of flying below the radar and cheating are so close, that nobody really knows if they are in or out of bounds. If a high level player’s mother gets offered a job in a place 5 states away from home, and it is sales, is that cheating? If the owner of that company isn’t a booster, say perhaps only friends with a booster, is that cheating?

In the old days a bag of cash was the only real clear cut cheating. And, now we have NIL.

I think every program intentionally or inadvertently breaks rules. I’m glad that it’s not up to me to make a judgement decision.

Reaction Score
Not to derail this thread, but I saw Marcus Camby play a few times his senior year in high school, and in pre-game warm-ups he barely missed a shot including three pointers. Granted he had a strong college and legit NBA career, but I always thought Calipari never saw or unleashed Camby's skills. He turned him into a rebounder and shot blocker when he really had a complete game and could have been a much better offensive player.

Reaction Score
Not to derail this thread, but I saw Marcus Camby play a few times his senior year in high school, and in pre-game warm-ups he barely missed a shot including three pointers. Granted he had a strong college and legit NBA career, but I always thought Calipari never saw or unleashed Camby's skills. He turned him into a rebounder and shot blocker when he really had a complete game and could have been a much better offensive player.
That's how great players usually are in warms ups.

He was national college player of the year and took UMass to the final 4. I think Calipari did a pretty good job with him on the court.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nobody has accused Calhoun of anything that affected his 3 championships or 4 Final Fours
The season with, arguably, Calhouns best team ever, 30-2 ( went into the tourney as big East regular season and tournament champions, the latter but beating Iverson) with the superstar who is , again, arguably, our greatest player ever ( scoring 23.4 points a game shooting 47% from 3) has that whole season wiped from the record books.

We should’ve won the title that year. I’m almost thankful Miss State upset us at this point because if we had our first title or first FF vacated it would’ve sucked.

So yeah it happens and could’ve happened to us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The season with, arguably, Calhouns best team ever, 30-2 ( went into the tourney as big East regular season and tournament champions, the latter but beating Iverson) with the superstar who is , again, arguably, our greatest player ever ( scoring 23.4 points a game shooting 47% from 3) has that whole season wiped from the record books.

We should’ve won the title that year. I’m almost thankful Miss State upset us at this point because if we had our first title or first FF vacated it would’ve sucked.

So yeah it happens and could’ve happened to us.
Didn’t even know about ‘96 so I looked it up and found a NYTs piece on that and Camby at the same time.

Reaction Score
Calhoun infractions were a big nothingburger. Ncaa hated him because he was outspoken and brash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom