Bird is Back! | The Boneyard

Bird is Back!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess it took her to sometime in December for the aches and pains to fade and the good competitive memories to take control. Whatever it took, woo hoo!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So is this season going to be a victory lap tour, or is this going to become an annual ritual with Sue? Don’t get me wrong, she gets to retire whenever she wants to as long as someone is still willing to pay her, which they would be given her level of play. but after a while it just seems a little anti-climatic.

CL82

Reaction Score
So is this season going to be a victory lap tour, or is this going to become an annual ritual with Sue? Don’t get me wrong, she gets to retire whenever she wants to as long as someone is still willing to pay her, which they would be given her level of play. but after a while it just seems a little anti-climatic.
Ouch @UConnCat. What did I say that you feel is unreasonable?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ouch @UConnCat. What did I say that you feel is unreasonable?
There is nothing about Sue Bird to suggest she would make pending retirement an "annual ritual" or that this is about a victory lap tour. At the conclusion of last season was the first time Sue actually stated she was contemplating retirement. She has decided she's not ready.

I suspect there are two factors at play here. One, she said a couple of years ago that she did not want her final season to be played at Angel of the Winds Arena. Now that the renovation of the old Key Arena is complete (and renamed Climate Pledge Arena) I think Sue wants her final season to be played there. Second, I think she wants one more season with a healthy Stewie. Hopefully this means Jewell is returning as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
There is nothing about Sue Bird to suggest she would make pending retirement an "annual ritual" or that this is about a victory lap tour. At the conclusion of last season was the first time Sue actually stated she was contemplating retirement. She has decided she's not ready.

I suspect there are two factors at play here. One, she said a couple of years ago that she did not want her final season to be played at Angel of the Winds Arena. Now that the renovation of the old Key Arena is complete (and renamed Climate Pledge Arena) I think Sue wants her final season to be played there. Second, I think she wants one more season with a healthy Stewie. Hopefully this means Jewell is returning as well.
Well, personally, I would have no issue whatsoever if she said look I’m going to play for one more year and give other teams fans the opportunity to show their appreciation for her. But that’s just me.

Regarding the “annual ritual” language, if she wasn’t certain if she wanted to play or not this year, how is that going is she going to be any more certain at the end of this season? Or the season after that? Or is she going to do some soul-searching at the end of every season on an ongoing basis. It’s fine if she does, certainly she’s earned the right to choose the time of her retirement. If she’s doing that annually over a period of years, though it will feel anticlimactic.

Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
About 2014/15 I was convinced Bird and DT were close to the end. I hadn't watched much WNBA but knew their stats and games missed gave the appearance their legs were wearing down.

Then the 2016 Olympics happened and I was amazed to see both looking as good as ever. I watched the W during the bubble just to have something follow and also thought she was looking pretty solid.

My viewings of the Olympics last year showed me that Bird and DT were still effective but both had slowed and I fully expected one or both to hang it up. DT still could of course but I figure she plays next year.

I've never been crazy about watching an athlete play until they physically couldn't go any further but believe everyone has to make the determination of when it's time to go for themselves. I hope Bird has another wonderful, injury free season to put the exclamation point on her career.

I also think DT, CP3, and Fowles are very close to the end themselves. We could see a pretty big star exodus this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe she is planning to play against Paige. :eek:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Victory lap tour? Annual ritual?

She's a basketball player. Basketball seasons are, fair to say, annual affairs, as is the decision to continue playing or not. You're projecting a lot of stuff that Sue did nothing to invite.

CL82

Reaction Score
Victory lap tour? Annual ritual?

She's a basketball player. Basketball seasons are, fair to say, annual affairs, as is the decision to continue playing or not. You're projecting a lot of stuff that Sue did nothing to invite.
That’s true, but every other player in the WNBA did not decide to announce that they were not going to retire this season. Do you see a difference?

That said, I’ve that it’s Sue’s decision to decide whether or not she wants to retire in whatever way she chooses. But it’s clear to me that my post is somehow touched a nerve, even if it was unintended. I’ll let it go.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That’s true, but every other player in the WNBA did not decide to announce that they were not going to retire this season. Do you see a difference?

That said, I’ve that it’s Sue’s decision to decide whether or not she wants to retire in whatever way she chooses. But it’s clear to me that my post is somehow touched a nerve, even if it was unintended. I’ll let it go.
It's not that grave. Just a friendly discussion, I believe.

I do see what you're saying, but my simultaneous thought is that I'd have no problem whatsoever with any and every player in the WNBA announcing, holding a press conference, throwing a party, or dancing the Macarena to mark their non-retirement. Why not? Who's hurt by it?

Sue's in rarefied air, with her combination of sustained excellence and extraordinary longevity. She was simply honest at season's end about her uncertainty as to next season, and this uncertainty was widely reported at the time. Either way she'd decided, it was bound to be a news item. Not so for every other player.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's not that grave. Just a friendly discussion, I believe.

I do see what you're saying, but my simultaneous thought is that I'd have no problem whatsoever with any and every player in the WNBA announcing, holding a press conference, throwing a party, or dancing the Macarena to mark their non-retirement. Why not? Who's hurt by it?

Sue's in rarefied air, with her combination of sustained excellence and extraordinary longevity. She was simply honest at season's end about her uncertainty as to next season, and this uncertainty was widely reported at the time. Either way she'd decided, it was bound to be a news item. Not so for every other player.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Reaction Score

It gives Stewie one more chance to win a championship with Sue, would give Sue 5, the most in history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue likes playing with Stewie and Jewell. She also loves the game. She's at the stage of her career when she needs to take it one year at a time. She thinks the hard work, fitness, and other sacrifices are worth it. Recall that she is an ultra competitive person. I'm not surprised she's coming back, but I'm very happy. Best wishes to Sue!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom