Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not for nothing.. but if I was in his camp, I'd have had an insurance policy for potentinal future earnings taken out in high school as soon as he committed for such a matter. I think he should go because he's ready and he's not really going to improve his draft stock any more than he already has by playing another year. But getting injured, while awful and would deprive him of getting to play professional sports.. I don't think loss of money from injury is as a big of a motivator people think it is. He may see what happened to Bouknight and want another year because the thinks he's not ready or mature enough. Who knows. All the staff and his family can do is give him the best information they can to make the best and most informed decision he can and then respect it.

That said.. I don't think he's coming back. If he does, great. If he doesn't, no surprise and hope he has a long, healthy and rich career. He's earned it.
Well said and agree with so much of this. But DC is infinitely more mature than Bouknight. If he fails as a pro, his maturity level, attitude, and professionalism won’t be the reason.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if Donovan stayed another year. Some draft projections I’ve seen have him as high as 3rd overall. How much more could he boost his stock by staying another year? Why risk injury?

Now is the time to go for him. He’s got his life, family & NBA future to consider.

Reaction Score
And I think both Hurley and his dad will likely give him that advice. I would give him that advice. But it's Donovan's life, and we don't know what he feels like he's ready for. I wasn't ready as a college sophomore to graduate and enter the working world. I needed all four years of my college time to mature enough (partly because I was a year younger than my grade-level peers). My college roommate paced himself to be on the five-year plan because he loved it so much. We both knew that once you enter the working world, that's it. It seems like it's different for that "gifted few," but the NBA is still the adult world. No one is holding your hand anymore, unless they're hoping to pry some dolla bills out of it.
I thought these things didnt happen in the USA. I came from abroad at an early age and as result was ahead 2yrs. 16yo college freshman .

I sure as heck took all my time in college. Got on a 5 year plan also. I definitely didnt have the mental maturity.

Its crazy how much difference a year or two make in our lives.

I hope whatever decision DC makes is the one that makes him most happy and comfortable

Reaction Score
It would be a disservice to Clingan to have him back for another year.
Tim Duncan, The Admiral, Karl Malone, among many of the big men STARS who played 4 years of college ball and went on to become HALL OF FAMERS. We love DC. He is a legend. Great kid. But the Purdue game showed he isn't ready to star in the NBA yet. If he leaves, he bags some money and then rides the bench for a good long while. Meanwhile, he stays, he bags some money, gets closer to a degree (and please, money does not replace the need for education), and gets better, so that when he leaves, he is a finished product. I am NOT thinking about UConn here. I am thinking about the kid. He is still gonna be 7'2" when he leaves. But that kid with an offensive arsenal????? Scary. Staying would make sense for him.

Reaction Score
I would not be completely surprised if Clingan returned but obviously do not think he should for financial reasons.
I have always felt that playing for UCONN is this kids dream and he is just having too much fun.
In the era of NIL he’s gonna get paid whether he goes or not and believe NIL could actually start getting kids to stay in school for an extra year or 2
He's definitely active in the NIL arena (Cling Kong brand, and I'm sure other deals as well). So if he did come back, it's not like he'd only be getting peanuts. But it just makes more sense for him to go pro this year as he's almost definitely a top 10 pick and possibly even top 3/5. Even if he came back next year and put up Edey-like #'s on offense, MAYBE he could improve his draft position a couple spots? But if he came back and injured his foot again, that would probably start to spook a lot of NBA teams.

Poe

Reaction Score
He could be the next Tim Duncan, you never know. It would be highly unlikely he stays, but for some, money (or immediate money), is not the most important thing.

Maybe he wants to be the main guy on the team and perhaps the face of college basketball, maybe he and Alex want to try for a three-peat, maybe he wants to spend another year with his gf, maybe being “a kid” for another year is more valuable to him than a paycheck, maybe he loves his state and university so much he doesn’t want it to end just yet, etc.

Whatever his decision is no one should tell him it’s the wrong one.

Reaction Score
If Dan Hurley really thought Donovan Clingan was staying we wouldn't be connected to every single top center that enters the portal

Reaction Score
I thought these things didnt happen in the USA. I came from abroad at an early age and as result was ahead 2yrs. 16yo college freshman .
When I was in kindergarten at the age of 5, I got pushed ahead into first grade mid-year because I was a little ahead of the other kids educationally (especially my reading/writing level). But that didn't change the fact that I was still five years old emotionally and physically, so I was always behind the kids in my class developmentally (aside from academics). That impacted me all the way through college, but was an especially big deal in middle school and high school. Being a year, sometimes two, younger than the kids in my grade meant it was hard to fit in. I couldn't relate to where they were at a lot of the time. I just felt way younger, and for a few years, smaller.

It also sucked not being able to legally drink until two weeks before my college graduation!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stay or go? There are pros and cons to both sides. I found it interesting that Danny talked about a three peat a few days after we won. He knows more about what the players will do than anyone. Tristen and Stephon are gone. Maybe we can get Cam back. The wild cards are Don and Alex. If they return, I’m walking on sunshine.

Reaction Score
Tim Duncan, The Admiral, Karl Malone, among many of the big men STARS who played 4 years of college ball and went on to become HALL OF FAMERS. We love DC. He is a legend. Great kid. But the Purdue game showed he isn't ready to star in the NBA yet. If he leaves, he bags some money and then rides the bench for a good long while. Meanwhile, he stays, he bags some money, gets closer to a degree (and please, money does not replace the need for education), and gets better, so that when he leaves, he is a finished product. I am NOT thinking about UConn here. I am thinking about the kid. He is still gonna be 7'2" when he leaves. But that kid with an offensive arsenal????? Scary. Staying would make sense for him.
No offense but couldn't disagree more with this take. The people you named came out for the draft decades ago when leaving early wasn't as prevalent. DC not going this year when he's an almost surefire lottery pick and doesn't have much room to improve his draft stock, in a historically weak draft class, would be insanity. He's not going to ride the pine in the NBA. He's more than ready to star there and he has all the mental and physical tools right now to do so, including a great offensive arsenal (thinking that he'd develop better in college than the pros offensively, especially his jumper, is also crazy - see Andre Jackson). Yes, education is important, but so is making $20 million guaranteed.

He's gone, as he 100% should be.

Reaction Score
The comments in these threads are astonishing. Thank god Clingan doesn’t have advisors from the BY, he’d be turning down tens of millions at a minimum to come back for absolutely no reason.
That's too simplistic though. We all know what 10-20mill would mean for us. But no one on the BY knows how it feels to be one of the 2 most famous college basketball players in the country. He's a kid and there is a big reason to come back: Because he loves it. Youre either a live for the moment person or a plan for the future person.
Get rid of the money for a second and compare your joy as BMOC compared to a new guy on a most likely struggling nba team.
I agree with you that from a "safe" place it's better for him to take the money and not risk injury. But if he made it through another season healthy and won another natty- he'd enter the NBA none the worse but will be an even bigger college legend.
If i were him I'd go to the NBA but I'm not him.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Hurley won’t let him come back if he’s a projected lottery pick (which he is). NIL cannot replace a $20M+ guaranteed contract. He needs to go make multi-generational wealth for his entire family and then donate some of it towards our future NIL to fund his replacement ;)
I think you're right, and if so it would show Hurley's character because no one would benefit more from DC coming back than Dan.

Reaction Score
Horses used to win wars. Times change.

Reaction Score
The comments in these threads are astonishing. Thank god Clingan doesn’t have advisors from the BY, he’d be turning down tens of millions at a minimum to come back for absolutely no reason.
I think there are a couple groups here:

1) The folks who want him to money grab anything 6 figures
2) The folks who are making excuses for him to stay and dominate one more year (selfishly).

All I'm saying is, we have to let this kid make his life decision based on what he feels is best for him at this time. And none of us know that. Personally? I hope he is ready for the next step.

Reaction Score
Parents and people that truly are close to him should be outlining the positives and negatives of what staying/going means. He's been through enough in life to ultimately make a clear-headed decision he feels is best for him.
Folks here telling him what to do is a bad look, sorry.

Reaction Score
No offense but couldn't disagree more with this take. The people you named came out for the draft decades ago when leaving early wasn't as prevalent. DC not going this year when he's an almost surefire lottery pick and doesn't have much room to improve his draft stock, in a historically weak draft class, would be insanity. He's not going to ride the pine in the NBA. He's more than ready to star there and he has all the mental and physical tools right now to do so, including a great offensive arsenal (thinking that he'd develop better in college than the pros offensively, especially his jumper, is also crazy - see Andre Jackson). Yes, education is important, but so is making $20 million guaranteed.

He's gone, as he 100% should be.
These are all great points. But I don't think him coming back is "insanity". Too strong of a word. "Not the most fiscally responsible" is the best word.
Take DH- barely anybody on this board is telling him to go to an SEC school and make boatloads. We are saying that he is a better fit in storrs because of culture, family, comfort, all the other things that make up a good life, besides strict cash.
Yes, I know DH will make bank in storrs as well, but we can't use the argument that other things besides money matter when it comes to DH, but when it comes to a 20 year old college kid all that other stuff is now insanity?
I'm not begging for him to come back but I get why he would want to.

Reaction Score
That's too simplistic though. We all know what 10-20mill would mean for us. But no one on the BY knows how it feels to be one of the 2 most famous college basketball players in the country. He's a kid and there is a big reason to come back: Because he loves it. Youre either a live for the moment person or a plan for the future person.
Get rid of the money for a second and compare your joy as BMOC compared to a new guy on a most likely struggling nba team.
I agree with you that from a "safe" place it's better for him to take the money and not risk injury. But if he made it through another season healthy and won another natty- he'd enter the NBA none the worse but will be an even bigger college legend.
If i were him I'd go to the NBA but I'm not him.
It’s really not too simplistic, there’s no get rid of the money aspect. He’s already a college legend, local kid who won back to back titles and is a top 10 pick. All while repping his home state. That’s legend status.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Tim Duncan, The Admiral, Karl Malone, among many of the big men STARS who played 4 years of college ball and went on to become HALL OF FAMERS.

Maybe Karl Malone needed to stay in college to mature a few more years...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
"Hurley won't let him come back..."

So...if DC makes the decision to stay in college....for whatever reasons that make sense for him...
Hurley won't offer him a scholarship for next year? Really? So...DC then has to transfer to another college?
Might get a couple of hundred offers. That seems to be what some folks are wanting Hurley to do.
Oft-times rationality can be found on The Boneyard...but no guarantee for sure.

Heck some folks not only tell DC that he must leave....but also tell him how he should spend his money!

Looking forward to HIS decision...hope it is the right one...for HIM.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders ripping on Kentucky fans for being crazy and stupid while this thread is three pages long. SMDH
I'm participating and I even think it's kinda crazy myself. But we're bored and we're used to talking about 'meaningful' stuff over the past 5 months. I need an outlet where I can spout off at the mouth or I'll go berserk.

Reaction Score
This is truly an elite take.

Reaction Score
What’s exactly crazy or stupid about this thread?
Because Jay bilas said something off the cuff at the end of a statement and we go to town on it (I'm guilty too) Nobody here gave DC returning a 2nd thought before this. I think we all just want to talk about something other than DH and KY and the Bilas quote fit the bill. But so far it's innocent fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom