BIG TEN Regular Season | Page 10 | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I would say Laila Phelia and Leigha Brown have developed very nicely at Michigan over the past few seasons. Fair to say they have been able to develop posts and wings but guards remain a weakness? Let's not forget that they will soon have Olivia Olson (class of 2024) on the way!

Reaction Score
I would say Laila Phelia and Leigha Brown have developed very nicely at Michigan over the past few seasons. Fair to say they have been able to develop posts and wings but guards remain a weakness? Let's not forget that they will soon have Olivia Olson (class of 2024) on the way!

Partially agree with this statement. Brown was already a very talented player while at Nebraska. I'm 50/50 on giving Michigan full credit as I'm of the belief she would still be doing well had she stayed with the Nebraska program. Phelia has definitely improved from last season as a Michigan recruit.

Still not sure about how well Michigan does with posts, as Hillmon is the only pro example we can reference. Her background in basketball, especially with her family history of being successful basketball players also gave her an advantage. Kiser is a great example, but who else after her? That's the question to me for the time being.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Partially agree with this statement. Brown was already a very talented player while at Nebraska. I'm 50/50 on giving Michigan full credit as I'm of the belief she would still be doing well had she stayed with the Nebraska program. Phelia has definitely improved from last season as a Michigan recruit.

Still not sure about how well Michigan does with posts, as Hillmon is the only pro example we can reference. Her background in basketball, especially with her family history of being successful basketball players also gave her an advantage. Kiser is a great example, but who else after her? That's the question to me for the time being.
Right. If KBA couldn't develop anyone she wouldn't have a job. But a lot of Michigan players seem to plateau after their sophomore year. Compare that with the depth of scoring options you see at Iowa and Maryland and maybe now Indiana, and it's going to be an issue.

I wonder if Michigan could get Olivia Olson to enroll early next year and play the spring semester?

Reaction Score
The Terps really gave Iowa a real arse whopping tonight. I'm sure the Hawkeyes didn't expect Brenae Alexander to go off like she did. Both teams are now tied for 2nd place in the Big 10.
For sure, TerpWomenFan. congrats! Wow, combined with UConn's loss to St. John's it should be interesting to see the ratings in coming days.

I'm not surprised the Terps won, but to blow the Hawkeyes out was shocking. It'll be a good test for Lisa Bluder to get her team fired up for the Indiana game on Sunday, especially since Iowa's hopes of Big Ten regular-season title are gone now.

Reaction Score
If the Terps can defeat the Buckeyes in Columbus on Friday night, that will put pressure on Iowa to defeat Indiana on Sunday.

Reaction Score
For sure, TerpWomenFan. congrats! Wow, combined with UConn's loss to St. John's it should be interesting to see the ratings in coming days.

I'm not surprised the Terps won, but to blow the Hawkeyes out was shocking. It'll be a good test for Lisa Bluder to get her team fired up for the Indiana game on Sunday, especially since Iowa's hopes of Big Ten regular-season title are gone now.
Both teams scored 96 points on their home courts. It will be interesting to see what happens if they meet again at a neutral site.

NET has Iowa much higher ranked than mAryland before last night. But now, they have the same conference record. If Iowa can’t beat Indiana, Maryland will get the two seed in the tourney. Thus Iowa would be bracketed with Indiana in the Big Ten tourney.

Iowa now faces a tough road for a top 8 seed. It, if they do win out, they would deserve it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Iowa can’t beat Indiana, Maryland will get the two seed in the tourney. Thus Iowa would be bracketed with Indiana in the Big Ten tourney.
Iowa would only fall to the 3 seed at 14-4 since Ohio St is already 12-5 and would be the 4. Ohio St (4) & Michigan or Illinois would be in Indiana’s region of the bracket.

So barring any upsets, Iowa vs MD part 3 should be interesting.

Reaction Score
If the Terps can defeat the Buckeyes in Columbus on Friday night, that will put pressure on Iowa to defeat Indiana on Sunday.
Definitely. Feel like Iowa’s gonna pull it off in front of that sell out crowd.

But I think if both MD & Iowa lose and both tie at 14-4, MD wins the tiebreaker since they beat Illinois & Iowa didn’t.
EDIT: Actually Iowa would be the 2 seed based on this mred's Big 10 WBB Tournament Seeding Tiebreaker

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coach Bluder throwing some shade at the Terps fans

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Reaction Score

I wasn’t surprised they won either, but certainly did not expect a blowout. So the Terps can play great defense when they want to ;)

I must say that MD’s chemistry this year is miles better than last year’s team. Frese doesn’t get a lot of credit, but I think she’s done an amazing job this year considering all of the transfers they lost last year and not having any real post play after Reese’s departure.

Reaction Score

This been a big topic on the Terp boards since last night.

Another smaller topic that didn't get as much traction was Charlie Creme comments about the Terps and 4 top 10 wins.

This is really semantics but let’s clear something up. Where tournament selection is concerned (all that matters here) Maryland has 3 top-10 wins, not 4. Ohio St is not a top 10 team. And, the Buckeyes shouldn’t have even been AP ranked top-10 when Maryland played them.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t surprised they won either, but certainly did not expect a blowout. So the Terps can play great defense when they want to ;)

I must say that MD’s chemistry this year is miles better than last year’s team. Frese doesn’t get a lot of credit, but I think she’s done an amazing job this year considering all of the transfers they lost last year and not having any real post play after Reese’s departure.
I agree she hasn't gotten credit for this season, considering who left. At the same time, I think her coaching acumen is taken for granted because most assume that Maryland will continue to operate as normal because the program deals with turnover on a consistent basis.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. Coach Frese does not get a lot of credit for the remarkable job she has done this year and over her amazing coaching career. We still wonder what she would have been able to do here in Minnesota if she stayed. That one year was awesome and helped Coach Pam Borton for a few years on her run with the Gophers.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Coach Frese does not get a lot of credit for the remarkable job she has done this year and over her amazing coaching career. We still wonder what she would have been able to do here in Minnesota if she stayed. That one year was awesome and helped Coach Pam Borton for a few years on her run with the Gophers.
Frese per usual has done an outstanding job. Maryland has been a staple in women's basketball for almost 2 decades, she's won a title and coached in 3 Final Fours, but she never gets enough credit for the work she does since her teams usually flop in the tournament and all of her studs transfer out. IMO she's as good as anyone in the country at developing kids and putting together really good basketball teams on the court. Her 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams played some really high level and fun basketball. The team success just doesn't seem to translate in March for whatever reason and all of her players who she develops into great players transfer to other programs. It's quite bizarre but she's always able to pick up the pieces, build up the returning players and put together really formidable teams.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It may mean nothing but Ohio State has posted on social media about Senior Night and it seems they are only honoring Taylor Mikesell. The first 500 guests get a signed Taylor Mikesell Poster. I assumed Jacy would return because she wouldn't want this senior year to be her final year, but wasn't sure about Rebeka Mikulasikova, Rikki Harris, (redshirt-jr), Eboni Walker, and Hevyne Bristowe all are academically seniors. Madison Greene is also an academic senior but is a redshirt-jr. That bodes well for next season where OSU kind of whiffed on high school recruiting. Granted, there is always the transfer portal out. I think having a healthy Sheldon and Green next season will help OSU stay competitive.

Reaction Score
Frese per usual has done an outstanding job. Maryland has been a staple in women's basketball for almost 2 decades, she's won a title and coached in 3 Final Fours, but she never gets enough credit for the work she does since her teams usually flop in the tournament and all of her studs transfer out. IMO she's as good as anyone in the country at developing kids and putting together really good basketball teams on the court. Her 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams played some really high level and fun basketball. The team success just doesn't seem to translate in March for whatever reason and all of her players who she develops into great players transfer to other programs. It's quite bizarre but she's always able to pick up the pieces, build up the returning players and put together really formidable teams.
All of her players?

Reaction Score

Actually the 9,065 in attendance was the 4th highest (out of 11 road games) crowd they faced this year on the road. Only Nebraska, Indiana & Ohio State drew better crowds. Ohio State was #2 & undefeated at the time, which garnered extra excitement in Buckeye land. Indiana is having a hell of year & breaking all their records & there’s not much else to do in Lincoln, Nebraska on a Saturday (hence why that school supports all their sports heavily). MD’s court “Xfinity Center” seats 17,950 so yes it was only half full but it’s likely the crowd would’ve been over 10,000 if it was played on a weekend.

The most important thing the butt hurt coach failed to realize is that any crowd north of 6,000 for any women’s basketball game is good for the game. It’s coaches like her who aren’t really about growing the game & her backhanded criticism proved that.

She should’ve just kept that snarky comment to herself but she was in her feelings obviously lol about not repeating as Big10 champs.

Reaction Score
It may mean nothing but Ohio State has posted on social media about Senior Night and it seems they are only honoring Taylor Mikesell. The first 500 guests get a signed Taylor Mikesell Poster. I assumed Jacy would return because she wouldn't want this senior year to be her final year, but wasn't sure about Rebeka Mikulasikova, Rikki Harris, (redshirt-jr), Eboni Walker, and Hevyne Bristowe all are academically seniors. Madison Greene is also an academic senior but is a redshirt-jr. That bodes well for next season where OSU kind of whiffed on high school recruiting. Granted, there is always the transfer portal out. I think having a healthy Sheldon and Green next season will help OSU stay competitive.
Hard to replace Mikesell's shooting but I don't know if there's a bigger dropoff from offense to defense in the conference (or country). She is like a traffic cone. Ohio State should be fun again next season.

Reaction Score
Actually the 9,065 in attendance was the 4th highest (out of 11 road games) crowd they faced this year on the road. Only Nebraska, Indiana & Ohio State drew better crowds. Ohio State was #2 & undefeated at the time, which garnered extra excitement in Buckeye land. Indiana is having a hell of year & breaking all their records & there’s not much else to do in Lincoln, Nebraska on a Saturday (hence why that school supports all their sports heavily). MD’s court “Xfinity Center” seats 17,950 so yes it was only half full but it’s likely the crowd would’ve been over 10,000 if it was played on a weekend.

The most important thing the butt hurt coach failed to realize is that any crowd north of 6,000 for any women’s basketball game is good for the game. It’s coaches like her who aren’t really about growing the game & her backhanded criticism proved that.

She should’ve just kept that snarky comment to herself but she was in her feelings obviously lol about not repeating as Big10 champs.
I agree. Having close to 10,000 for a game is nothing to chirp about. It should have been commended to help reinforce that these games are worth attending.

It's unfortunate that she said this. The BIG10 is having a great year and it's due to competitive teams like Iowa and Maryland. Talking it up helps to enhance the brand of the conference which would benefit her program in the long run.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Coach Frese does a great job. Just needs to close the deal. A few years ago, I thought for sure she would get Maryland back to the Championship game.

Reaction Score
It's possible that Bluder wasn't aware of the actual attendance number. The overall size of the arena at 17,000 might've made it feel like a significantly smaller crowd than say sellouts in Carver or at Assembly Hall. I agree with the points that we should continue to support and encourage attendance wherever it is.

Reaction Score
It's possible that Bluder wasn't aware of the actual attendance number. The overall size of the arena at 17,000 might've made it feel like a significantly smaller crowd than say sellouts in Carver or at Assembly Hall. I agree with the points that we should continue to support and encourage attendance wherever it is.
Good point. And 9,000 is an outstanding crowd for any basketball game. My earlier comment about being a little surprised was with Iowa and POY candidate Caitlin Clark in town I would have thought it would have been closer to a sellout. There's a large metropolitan area to draw from and this was a marquee game.

I guess perhaps in following the Huskies and the trail of large crowds or sellouts they generate at home and on the road might have also shaped my surprise.

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, however her teams have played in that arena many times. I have a hard time believing she's not aware of her surroundings and couldn't take things into consideration, including the size of the arena in comparison to Carver.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom