BIG TEN Regular Season | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

Reaction Score
Conference play is going to be very interesting. Especially between Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana and Maryland. I think too many gave Iowa the nod in this conference in the pre-season based on what I've seen so far, although I understand why with Clark leading the team.

Illinois and Purdue look like dark horses who could screw things up for some teams if they're not taken seriously. Didn't think Northwestern would struggle as much as they have.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nebraska? They got thumped several times in OOC and fell off the radar, but they've maybe quietly put things back together.

Reaction Score
The top 3 look tough to me. I still need convincing about Nebraska. Michigan is a bit of an enigma to me -- they could be great or only so-so. I need to see them play a few more games even to form a guess.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Obviously Ohio State and Indiana look extremely legit. Michigan and Maryland are very good, for sure, and of course Iowa. @cancontent is seeing clearly on this, I think.

On the opposite end - Rutgers and Wisconsin are clearly headed to long seasons.

While it isn't fair to say other teams can't have some success, I am not buying stock in Michigan State, Northwestern or Minnesota.

The rest will finish somewhere in between.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is probably the strongest the conference has been in 20+ years. Even with their best players out, Indiana/Ohio State look like legitimate Final Four threats, Iowa is potent, Maryland has streaks of being great and Michigan has one of the nation's top trios. I think this is the conference to watch the next few months.

Reaction Score
Obviously Ohio State and Indiana look extremely legit. Michigan and Maryland are very good, for sure, and of course Iowa. @cancontent is seeing clearly on this, I think.

On the opposite end - Rutgers and Wisconsin are clearly headed to long seasons.

While it isn't fair to say other teams can't have some success, I am not buying stock in Michigan State, Northwestern or Minnesota.

The rest will finish somewhere in between.

Thank you. This conference has me more intrigued than others this season. The performance of the top teams in non-conference play has been impressive for the most part.

Reaction Score
Indiana and Ohio State are in eerily similar situations. Both playing well without a high-efficiency floor-leading guard that’s arguably the team MVP. Both with a strong post player but minimal frontcourt strength otherwise. Both thriving from exceptional guard and wing play. We’re lucky they play a home-and-away this year. I truly don’t know which is better but I suspect one or both win the league. I’m really enjoying watching both so far.

Reaction Score
We know and hope that Ohio State, Indiana, and Iowa hold their preseason form and hype in the Big Ten. The rest of the field is open. Michigan looks to be pretty impressive minus their hiccup against Toledo. Nebraska is going to be in the 2nd tier of teams, along with Michigan and Maryland, that could shake up the Big Ten. That 3rd tier of teams; Michigan State, Minny, Northwestern, and Illinois, will be interesting. The last group of Wisconsin, Rutgers, and Penn State might cause some problems for teams if teams overlook them.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing what Illinois will do. Will they fall off the cliff like they do every year?
Adalia McKenzie was a scoring machine in HS, but has yet to be able to take over games at this level. I have high hopes for her.

Reaction Score
Michigan started off on a torrid pace against Nebraska. I thought Michigan was going to blow the game wide open. Nebraska is a one of those teams that, like that Toledo game, could sneak up on you if you are not on your A game, which they did in that 2nd quarter. But in the end, Michigan held on and got the win.

Ohio State continues to roll along. Another impressive win against Northwestern. I am just impressed that Ohio State pressure teams for dang near the whole game!

Reaction Score
Ohio State continues to roll along. Another impressive win against Northwestern. I am just impressed that Ohio State pressure teams for dang near the whole game!
Ohio State looked really good. Also, did you notice that the one of the TV commentators was Naz Hilmon? Interesting to hear her insights.

Reaction Score
ouch. I also was not expecting that. Imma look for a replay somewhere.
I was able to listen to the game thru Michigan State's link. It was on the Big Ten Plus streaming service. Not going to lie, this was an interesting game and like you said, I really was not expecting this outcome. Hopefully there is replay somewhere of this game.

Reaction Score
Michigan versus Ohio State today at 1 pm. This should be a really good one. Too bad they're playing in the volleyball arena. Saw that the main arena wasn't available on Twitter. Assuming this is because of the football play-offs. It's a shame considering this is a match up between two ranked teams and could effect who wins the conference overall.

Reaction Score
Michigan versus Ohio State today at 1 pm. This should be a really good one. Too bad they're playing in the volleyball arena. Saw that the main arena wasn't available on Twitter. Assuming this is because of the football play-offs. It's a shame considering this is a match up between two ranked teams and could effect who wins the conference overall.
The optics of this game should be interesting.

Reaction Score
This one could spell trouble for Ohio State. The team has done a remarkable job without Sheldon and now Greene but I think Michigan matches up well with them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Im not sure why they can't play in the old basketball place .. St John's arena, its a whole lot bigger than the volleyball arena

Reaction Score
This one could spell trouble for Ohio State. The team has done a remarkable job without Sheldon and now Greene but I think Michigan matches up well with them.
This is a toss up game to me. Michigan should have the advantage at guard, however Ohio State's pressure could be an issue. They still seem to be turnover prone at the wrong times. I thought that issue would improve this year.

How they lost to Toledo, I still don't know and I watched it via Big Ten+ a couple times. They should have beaten Northwestern by more than 11 points based on the match ups. They held on to beat North Carolina when they had a double digit lead.

Ohio State may be missing Sheldon and Green, however they still have Mikesell, Mikasula (sic?) and Harris to be a pest. Their freshman has contributed significant minutes as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, what are you concerned about? I believe they will be playing in St. John arena, which is a great venue to watch (think of NC’s Carmichael arena) and they still won’t sell out. So why the concern?

Ok, I did a search and they are playing at the 3,700 Corelli Center which is ODD considering they average, 5,000 fans per 5 home games this year and it is an Arch Rival. Place should be sold out with a raucous crowd!

I am rooting for Michigan as I do think tOSU is a tad overrated at #3 (yes, I want UCONN ahead of them) but they are very good and this game should be a good test. My money would be on tOSU though if I were betting…

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait, what are you concerned about? I believe they will be playing in St. John arena, which is a great venue to watch (think of NC’s Carmichael arena) and they still won’t sell out. So why the concern?

Ok, I did a search and they are playing at the 3,700 Corelli Center which is ODD considering they average, 5,000 fans per 5 home games this year and it is an Arch Rival. Place should be sold out with a raucous crowd!

I am rooting for Michigan as I do think tOSU is a tad overrated at #3 (yes, I want UCONN ahead of them) but they are very good and this game should be a good test. My money would be on tOSU though if I were betting…
That's my point. If they're averaging 5K/game before conference play starts, imagine how raucous the crowd could be with a rival opponent? It's also the weekend and New Year's Eve to boot. A perfect opportunity to pack the arena with a quality opponent in town.

I have little knowledge about the arena options at OSU. Triad also mentioned St. John's arena. Was this where they played in the past?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom