Big East OOC Thread 23/24 | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Big East OOC Thread 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
St. John's isn't sitting that bad. They have 3 losses, all of which right now are quad 1 and 2 (although plenty can change with quad rankings by end of season). They have Fordham and Hofstra to bring their OOC to 8-3. NCAAT qualification is not tied to number of wins, but if you absolutely had to pick a number, 18 regular season wins may be enough to qualify them for the tournament, even without any BET wins. Plenty of teams have had 18 reg season wins and made it in, even with a Q3 loss (which St. John's does not yet).

Thinking purely in terms of # of wins is the old way of doing things, it's all about Quad wins/losses, metrics, and SoS now.

Either way, going .500 in conf play could very well be enough, depending on how those wins/losses pan out.

St. Johns has a 70 NET, and one quality win. It will pick up more wins in conference, but so will all the other bubble teams. There are 7 Big East, 9 Big 12, 9 SEC and 8 Big 10 teams with better NET ratings than St. Johns, all of which have equivalent or better NCAA resumes to St. Johns in most if not all of the other criteria (otherwise they wouldn't be ranked ahead of St. Johns in NET). That is a lot of bodies for St. Johns to climb over to get an NCAA bid.

If a team is worse than a 60 NET at Christmas, the odds of getting a bid are pretty long.

Reaction Score
That's totally ok, as long as BC and Michigan stay in Q2.
Hah, know your audience. Ideally, BCU goose eggs the rest of the season, rumored pugilist Juwan Howard blows up Michigan under Warde Manuel’s monitoring, and Slick Rick and St. John’s fester their way to the NIT.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is his second season there, all the learning should have been done last year. There's no excuse to being 0-3 in Big 5 games

It's worse than that, Drexel isn't even in the Big Five (Penn, Nova, Temple, St Joe's, LaSalle). They've been lobbying for more than two decades to change it to Big Six and include them but it hasn't happened yet.

Reaction Score
It's worse than that, Drexel isn't even in the Big Five (Penn, Nova, Temple, St Joe's, LaSalle). They've been lobbying for more than two decades to change it to Big Six and include them but it hasn't happened yet.
I saw this the other day. No idea if it's true.

The Big 5 was dying on the vine in Philly, so after years of traditionalists squawking - and attendance and interest waned and teams except for Villanova saw their programs sink into oblivion - the time was ripe for a change.

Drexel was added to the Big 5 this season as one of college basketball’s revered traditions underwent a serious retool in an attempt to stay relevant on the Philly sports scene.

Penn, La Salle, Temple, Saint Joseph’s and Villanova formed the Big 5 in the 1950s. The city schools dumped the traditional round-robin play and decided against holding the Classic at the famed Palestra, dubbed the Cathedral of College Basketball, though there was never any real consideration toward changing the Big 5 name.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
St. John’s takes a lot of low percentage shots and blew a 10 point second half lead as a result. They can probably say goodbye to a tournament bid with the loss to BCU. They are going to have a tough time getting enough wins to get a bid. They are 6-3. A win over Fordham gets them to 7-3. They probably need 19 or 20 wins to get a bid. Does anyone see St. Johns going 12-8 in the Big East?

Shy of some compacency at massive levels I don't see the threesome of UConn, Marquette and Creighton losing more than perhaps two games combined against the remaining eight schools in the BE. I also have no clue what to make of what should be the next tier of schools (Nova, PC, maybe Xavier, perhaps Butler).

It has been my belief that Pitino will run out of time before he brings St John's to a level close to what they were 40 years ago. His current conference isn't littered with schools like FAirfield and Siena and his current home doesn't have close to the recruiting cachet as Kentucky or Louisville. Once the honeymoon of once again running a program in a major conference fades and the reality of how truly large this undertaking is (trying to make St John's a perrenial top ten team) he'll start looking for a comfortable retirement.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I saw this the other day. No idea if it's true.

The Big 5 was dying on the vine in Philly, so after years of traditionalists squawking - and attendance and interest waned and teams except for Villanova saw their programs sink into oblivion - the time was ripe for a change.

Drexel was added to the Big 5 this season as one of college basketball’s revered traditions underwent a serious retool in an attempt to stay relevant on the Philly sports scene.

Penn, La Salle, Temple, Saint Joseph’s and Villanova formed the Big 5 in the 1950s. The city schools dumped the traditional round-robin play and decided against holding the Classic at the famed Palestra, dubbed the Cathedral of College Basketball, though there was never any real consideration toward changing the Big 5 name.

So the Big Five stole a page from the Big Ten's playbook.

Reaction Score
Shy of some compacency at massive levels I don't see the threesome of UConn, Marquette and Creighton losing more than perhaps two games combined against the remaining eight schools in the BE. I also have no clue what to make of what should be the next tier of schools (Nova, PC, maybe Xavier, perhaps Butler).

It has been my belief that Pitino will run out of time before he brings St John's to a level close to what they were 40 years ago. His current conference isn't littered with schools like FAirfield and Siena and his current home doesn't have close to the recruiting cachet as Kentucky or Louisville. Once the honeymoon of once again running a program in a major conference fades and the reality of how truly large this undertaking is (trying to make St John's a perrenial top ten team) he'll start looking for a comfortable retirement.
I would bet 1 million dollars on over 2 games combined

Reaction Score

Honestly a good update to the Big 5 format. The old format was asking a lot of the teams in the form of 4 OOC games and didn't include Drexel.

Now they just have to move the tripleheader finale to the Palestra

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Recruiting cache doesn't matter that much in NIL world. Cash and location do. St. Johns is the only major college basketball program in the Capital of the World, and Pitino is the Head Coach. They will get players.

Basketball is nuts, which is what makes it the best sport in the world. Anyone who has coached any level of basketball for long enough has been on both sides of massive upsets. I don't think Depaul or Georgetown could beat UConn, but Seton Hall or Xavier might be able to if everything broke just right. Butler can beat anyone with that offense if the favorite has a cold shooting night, because Butler is going to put points on the board. Villanova could beat or lose to any team in the Big East. Creighton is really, really good, but their reliance on a handful of outside shooters makes them susceptible to upsets. There will be some crazy ish happening in the Big East this season.

Reaction Score
Butler has been a good surprise this year. Butler fans thinking they’re deserving of votes in the AP Poll for beating a terrible Cal team, being 60th in most metrics, and having

Reaction Score
Judgements on these BE teams seem to be locked in stone on Dec 11th? No surprises in the conference? UCONN, Marquette and Creighton fairly bulletproof? We’ll see.

Reaction Score
This Coppin St team genuinely looks like one of the worst teams I’ve ever seen

Anyways, they’re up 1 on Georgetown after 7 minutes
Coppin remarkably consistent, I believe

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Georgetown both win.

73-35 (24-22).

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Bluejays having one of those shooting nights, 3/13 from 3 so far. Well just made one.

They can score in bunches so we'll see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The officials are letting UNLV wail on Kalkbrenner inside. It is easy to play defense if you can foul with impunity.

That said, Creighton seems to be missing everything, and UNLV is not even playing good defense on the perimeter. The Blue Jays just can’t hit a shot.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Creighton can turn it around in the 2nd half for the Big East. One of the top teams of the Big East losing to and under .500 team from the Mountain West isn’t a good luck

Reaction Score
Tough to stay in the top 10 when you're as inconsistent as Creighton.

Reaction Score
Kalib Boone doing what he did against us to Kalkbrenner.

Creighton 5/23 from 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01