Big East OOC 2.0 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Big East OOC 2.0

Reaction Score
I hope the next national championship will be less disappointing to you than the last one.
What on Earth are you talking about? I was thrilled with the last national championship

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Putting the anti-Ollie crowd to the side for a moment, there is a real impact to the Big East's underwhelming performance in the non-conference. It will cost Big East bubble teams bids, and it could also result in the top seeds getting knocked down a seeding or two.

It would help if the Big East could go the next week with only 1 or 2 losses, and if the SEC, ACC and Big 10 in particular could pick up some cheap losses.

Reaction Score
63-31 (15-23).

Big win for Xavier over West Virginia. The Big East leads the BE-Big 12 challenge 5-4 with one game to go. At worst, we split the challenge. Villanova also picked up a huge win today to make me think they might just sneak in the field come Selection Sunday.
Hoping all those tight losses have left At least a little room for error the rest of the way. Getting back (maybe around Xmas time) the Guy who was the best offensive AND defensive player on a final four team last year will do wonders. But For now, having a projected Top 5 lottery pick begin to play should Help the cause. A lot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, this started because of a comp between Georgetown’s offense and our bad offenses at the end of the Ollie era. It was in no way intended to dump on Ollie, just make the comp. It has gone off the rails because some folks jumped to the conclusion that what was really being said was that Ollie was always a trash offensive coach. This really wasn’t about Ollie personally.
Yes, it was my comp. Most college teams were running what today are old ISO based offenses. It’s what most coaches knew. There were some teams running more motion based offenses but the change in offense based on analytics was only just beginning. The Warriors hadn’t blown away the NBA until 2014-15. The shift was happening but that is what really put the stamp on it. Ollie was a superb defensive coach, and ran offenses that rely on extremely skilled guards beating their man one on one to create shots. Phil Jackson won a lot with offenses like that. It was harder in college because of zone and less skilled players.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s ever been a true indictment that KO was a bad coach. I rode the KO Train hard until that last season when everything fell off the rails…his offensive sets were just a nightmare that our players were not adapting to, year after year after year. KOs defense was superb, which allowed us to beat teams in a rock fight.

Just curious, have anyone seen the Overtime Elite games? Or their offensive sets?

Reaction Score
This thread has gone so off the rails. We’re supposed to be talking about big east OOC games, which is informative good stuff. Can you guys take this Ollie talk elsewhere? It’s in the past my dudes…times are great for the huskies, let’s focus on the present and future.

Reaction Score
It's early but St Johns is getting rolled by Iowa State. 14-2 after 7 and a half minutes

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not starting well for SJ.

St. Johns style of attack, attack, attack the hoop is pretty easy to defend. Iowa State just puts 3 defenders in the paint and waits to see if St. Johns adjusts. So far, no adjustment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are some trouble signs with the last few possessions on either end. Kind of looks like St. Johns is quitting a little on this game. Anderson needs to light a fire under this team.

Edit: some specifics:

The weakside rotations are terrible. Defenders are standing straight up, not reaction to weakside cutters at all.

It looks like some of the players are just deciding they don't want to press on some possessions, because Posh Alexander thinks they are pressing but there is not always a rest of the press.. I would yank anyone freelancing on defense off the court immediately if I was Anderson.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fat gray haired ref is completely in the tank for Iowa State. His calls are brutal. His call on the charge on Mathis was a 6 point swing. Keep an eye on him if this game gets close.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This Iowa State/St. Johns game is an example of why teams need to win their home games. Big East has four P6 opponents at home yesterday, and split with them. When you go on the road, there is always a risk of an officiating crew like this where there is no way to win. Final margin doesn't matter because whenever St. Johns made a few plays, Iowa State would get every 50/50 call.

If you played exactly the same game in Queens, I bet St. Johns wins by 10.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This Iowa State/St. Johns game is an example of why teams need to win their home games. Big East has four P6 opponents at home yesterday, and split with them. When you go on the road, there is always a risk of an officiating crew like this where there is no way to win. Final margin doesn't matter because whenever St. Johns made a few plays, Iowa State would get every 50/50 call.

If you played exactly the same game in Queens, I bet St. Johns wins by 10.
Plausible but St. John's didn't look good either way.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
63-32. (15-24).

St. John's loses to Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Not saying St. John's stinks but their offense is undiciplined and they are prone to turnovers, don't shoot well either. They had played no one until today.

Reaction Score
What am I missing about Arthur Kaluma? He's projected as a first-round pick, but I have yet to ever see him play well. Not trying to be mean, but I'm just curious what the hype is all about.

Reaction Score
Creighton is playing awful awful. Credit to Nebraska defense which had been really good but my god Creighton literally can’t buy a bucket. Shooting 23% from the field.

Reaction Score
What am I missing about Arthur Kaluma? He's projected as a first-round pick, but I have yet to ever see him play well. Not trying to be mean, but I'm just curious what the hype is all about.
He was awesome against Kansas in the tournament last year and had some other really nice games down the stretch but he looks like hot garbage this season. He looks the part in terms of his build and some highlight plays but he can't dribble at all and he's fairly awkward.

We should feast on Creighton this season, they have zero depth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom