Big East Expansion? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Expansion?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I hope not but their fans are dreaming big!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Update to their basketball arena.
People are saying this but I doubt it because it would not affect all of their athletes. My guess is an NIL deal.

Reaction Score
Everything rests on the next Big East media deal. If Big East can get Fox to pony up to $10M per year pay day, I am sure there will be no shortage of candidates.

The Big East should be focusing everything on the next media deal at this point. If expansion will bring in more money, they should just go ahead and do it asap.

Reaction Score
How much money does UConn make in the Big East plus playing football as an independent versus what was made in the American?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How much money does UConn make in the Big East plus playing football as an independent versus what was made in the American?
Just media rights money is about $4.5 million. $4M BE, $500k CBS Sports for football. I think it’s the time we left a more detailed analysis showed it to be roughly break even or slightly more profitable, given they were greater expenses being a part of the American. I remember that Susan Herbst estimated the savings of being in the Big East for travel costs would be about $2 million per year. Plus we save the production costs on sports, other than football which I think ESPN was going to pay.

Keep in mind that being in the Big East is good for Connecticut’s brain value which affects our IMG and Nike contracts.

Reaction Score
Okay Val, pick from Duke, North Carolina, Gonzaga, bringing back Miami & Syracuse, UCLA the entire B1G. No one else matters.
AND not happening!
Emily Dickinson College, AIC, Alfred University, and Vassar.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Emily Dickinson College, AIC, Alfred University, and Vassar.
Does Alfred University teach people how to be a butler/support for ninja vigilanteism? Because that would be kind of cool.

Reaction Score
Just media rights money is about $4.5 million. $4M BE, $500k CBS Sports for football. I think it’s the time we left a more detailed analysis showed it to be roughly break even or slightly more profitable, given they were greater expenses being a part of the American. I remember that Susan Herbst estimated the savings of being in the Big East for travel costs would be about $2 million per year. Plus we save the production costs on sports, other than football which I think ESPN was going to pay.

Keep in mind that being in the Big East is good for Connecticut’s brain value which affects our IMG and Nike contracts.

There's also every reason to assume that revenue from basketball tickets and donations will also be higher in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Does Alfred University teach people how to be a butler/support for ninja vigilanteism? Because that would be kind of cool.
Nah, that happens at Alfred State.

Reaction Score

I believe the $4.5M is before tournament units get dispersed. So if the league is sending 6-8 teams to the tournament annually, and it’s approx $1.2M/game appearance, that check grows sizably larger.

Reaction Score
I wonder if “Carson” went there? Lol

Reaction Score
I think the Billikens would be a great addition to the NBE. It's a great school in a great market for all sports including soccer and baseball. Dan Donigan was coach there for 10 years before he left for NJSU and was recently let go.

"The school has heavily invested in its on-campus athletic facilities in the past twenty years with the creation of Hermann Stadium and Chaifetz Arena. Chris May is the current director of athletics of the St. Louis Billikens."

I'm a big believer in: "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Plus it's a key puzzle piece.
"Gateway to the West"

1652539939587.png

Reaction Score
St Louis is nice and all, but the identity of the Big East is definitely more eastern. Creighton was a great addition, but I’m not sure between Creighton, DePaul, Butler and Xavier that heading back west for St Louis makes much sense. Sure, you get a little more programming, but everytime you add a school that just isn’t a traditional fit, you risk diluting the brand. Our identity is NYC, Boston, Philly, DC and Baltimore. Of course you grab a presence in basketball hotbeds like Indiana and Chicago given the chance, but St Louis? Idk.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I just don't see the appeal of adding St Louis. We don't need a second Depaul in the conference. For all we know, big name football could break away from the NCAA and conferences as we know them could get pretty unstable. I'd rather add Wake Forest or NC State over St Louis. Let's aim up or at least laterally rather than looking down.

Reaction Score
Fans are already lukewarm about attending games v. Butler, DePaul, and even what amounted to a decent Creighton team last season. I promise you it would be even worse if UConn welcomed St. Louis to the XL Center or Gampel. Don't overthink this. The only school that could move up conferences to the Big East that moves the needle is Gonzaga.

Any other school suggested would be a bad choice and isn't happening anyway since it won't enhance the TV deal.

Reaction Score
St Louis is nice and all, but the identity of the Big East is definitely more eastern. Creighton was a great addition, but I’m not sure between Creighton, DePaul, Butler and Xavier that heading back west for St Louis makes much sense. Sure, you get a little more programming, but everytime you add a school that just isn’t a traditional fit, you risk diluting the brand. Our identity is NYC, Boston, Philly, DC and Baltimore. Of course you grab a presence in basketball hotbeds like Indiana and Chicago given the chance, but St Louis? Idk.
Half the identity is as you described. The other half is clearly Midwest: Chicago, Cincinatti, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha, and perhaps St. Louis. Or Virginia. Or North Carolina. It is what it is, not what it used to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom