Big East Expansion? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East Expansion?

Reaction Score
I doubt Jim Calhoun would’ve come to Connecticut if we weren’t in the Big East. He talked with Bobby Knight about the job and, if I recall correctly, Knights advice to him was to take it because the Big East was a “coaches conference“ rather than a “institution conference” like the Big Ten.

I agree with you about UMass.
The Big East absolutely elevated UConn basketball. That's why we moved back to it, too.
Not really the case.
1. Calhoun was advised by Knight to take a job at ”the University of somewhere”/ because that was where the resources were. Still true btw.
2. Calhoun likely would have still taken the UConn job. He was not exactly in high demand despite his success at NU. He had been turned down for the BC job the year before. Even in the Yankee Conference it was a step up fromNortheastern. One can speculate as to whether he would have stayed long term, but he absolutely would have come to Storrs.
3. UConn was arguably the worst team in the Original Big East at the time as well as the worst job. Only team in league history not to have made the NCAA tournament during its membership. Every other member had made at least an Elite Eight during its membership. UConn was seriously considering leaving.
4. We returned to the New Big East because they needed another marquee name. Butler wasn’t doing it and we needed to put the Ollie mess in the rearview mirror and change the narrative.

Reaction Score
Not really the case.
1. Calhoun was advised by Knight to take a job at ”the University of somewhere”/ because that was where the resources were. Still true btw.
2. Calhoun likely would have still taken the UConn job. He was not exactly in high demand despite his success at NU. He had been turned down for the BC job the year before. Even in the Yankee Conference it was a step up fromNortheastern. One can speculate as to whether he would have stayed long term, but he absolutely would have come to Storrs.
3. UConn was arguably the worst team in the Original Big East at the time as well as the worst job. Only team in league history not to have made the NCAA tournament during its membership. Every other member had made at least an Elite Eight during its membership. UConn was seriously considering leaving.
4. We returned to the New Big East because they needed another marquee name. Butler wasn’t doing it and we needed to put the Ollie mess in the rearview mirror and change the narrative.
I'm not saying the BE was the only reason for UConn's ascent (obviously Calhoun was a huge factor), but we obviously were assisted by being in the BE from a competition and recruiting aspect. The second time around it is easy to argue the same as we were morabound in the AAC and as soon as we announced we were coming back there was a rise again in recruiting, interest and competition (and, yes, Hurley versus Ollie had impact as well).

Reaction Score
I'm not saying the BE was the only reason for UConn's ascent (obviously Calhoun was a huge factor), but we obviously were assisted by being in the BE from a competition and recruiting aspect. The second time around it is easy to argue the same as we were morabound in the AAC and as soon as we announced we were coming back there was a rise again in recruiting, interest and competition (and, yes, Hurley versus Ollie had impact as well).
Interesting thing is most UConn fans are not really UConn fans. They are really “event” fans. The Actual UConn fans constitute about 20-30% of the base. The rest will go to see UConn- Villanova but UConn-Holy Cross not so much. They love the NEWBIE but won’t as it falls further and further behind.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not really the case.
4. We returned to the New Big East because they needed another marquee name. Butler wasn’t doing it and we needed to put the Ollie mess in the rearview mirror and change the

Bobby Knight described the Big Ten as a league of institutions. He said that Indiana will always win, whether or not he was there. But the Big East he said was a conference of coaches where individual coaches made a difference

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interesting thing is most UConn fans are not really UConn fans. They are really “event” fans. The Actual UConn fans constitute about 20-30% of the base. The rest will go to see UConn- Villanova but UConn-Holy Cross not so much. They love the NEWBIE but won’t as it falls further and further behind.
Are you right about anything?

Reaction Score
TROLL!!
Or are you stupid as all F!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Man could toss a chair, though.... Great form.
Pssh, he was just offering the referees a seat. The man is best understood I say.

Reaction Score
Louisville was a unique "get"...the ACC could put a clothespin on their nose...the ACC was, and is, a premier academic conference. but sports are sports.

Louisville:

1...they were a successful program
2...the ACC wanted to pull them before the Big 12 offered them
3...Louisville was an ESPN Top Market ...still #4 ESPN Market in 2020

1. A school so bad it would help bolster FSU's low self esteem.
2. ACC just did what ESPN told them to do. Total pathetic simp conference.

Reaction Score
here come the arrows - I admit none of these are too exciting:

1) St Louis (western member of the A10 will find the BE is actually easier for their travel/good academics to boot and decent endowment, fills in map nicely).
2) VCU or JMU (either one helps add a large student body in a state that has decent growth/JMU would need to boldly go to independent football)
3) Memphis (the AAC is a dumpster fire, would/could both parties be attracted to this? Memphis could try independent football)
4) Buffalo (large state university - could move football to independent/fills in map pretty well)

Fun adds that will never happen:
5) Temple
6) UMass
7) Dayton (I guess this is fun)
8) Wichita (I think they are just too far off the map in Oklahoma to appeal to the BE).
Wichita is in Oklahoma? I believe you meant Kansas... It would be nice to see an AAC member move...

Reaction Score
1. A school so bad it would help bolster FSU's low self esteem.
2. ACC just did what ESPN told them to do. Total pathetic simp conference.
Simp conference that UConn would join in a nanosecond.

I think it will be Gonzaga and that will a disaster for all parties.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't all that..but is a pretty decent conference...but, in today's world, football defines all and other sports don't count so much.

Academics....If UConn joined, they would fit just behind FSU in USNWR Rankings...not a bad fit.

Sports...in the seasons from 2018...the ACC has won National Championships in..Football, Basketball,. Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Women's Basketball, Softball...and Tennis, Golf, etc.

Rivalries....Cuse, BC, Duke, Va. and UNC could be great BB rivals...(BC not as much until they could win a couple).

Geographical Fit.....could make a northern pod...but the ACC south of Virginia is a stretch.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't all that..but is a pretty decent conference...but, in today's world, football defines all and other sports don't count so much.

Academics....If UConn joined, they would fit just behind FSU in USNWR Rankings...not a bad fit.

Sports...in the seasons from 2018...the ACC has won National Championships in..Football, Basketball,. Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Women's Basketball, Softball...and Tennis, Golf, etc.

Rivalries....Cuse, BC, Duke, Va. and UNC could be great BB rivals...(BC not as much until they could win a couple).

Geographical Fit.....could make a northern pod...but the ACC south of Virginia is a stretch.
Let's see how the revitalized UConn football team does under a decent coach.

Reaction Score
Simp conference that UConn would join in a nanosecond.

I think it will be Gonzaga and that will a disaster for all parties.

That can be true and I can still be right. I’m right either way.

Reaction Score

Sports...in the seasons from 2018...the ACC has won National Championships in...Football, Basketball,. Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Women's Basketball, Softball...and Tennis, Golf, etc.

We’ve recently dropped into the FSU stratosphere. UConn has decided not to play games to fit USNWR criteria and to instead do what makes sense for the university. The state U's in Florida have become obsessed with USNWR. As I pointed out in a post last week, one of the major issues (one of several) with the USNWR criteria is their emphasis on full time faculty. In the Northeast, many colleges share faculty. UConn could get half their faculty as part timers from Yale and it would still hurt their ranking. This is one of several criteria that Northeastern schools aren't bothering to worry about anymore because there are so many colleges to draw part time talent from in super close proximity.

I wish that we'd play the game, as we'd climbed very high, usually tied with or swapping places with UF, but the decision was made not to bother anymore and we’ve dropped about 35 places in just two years—as the administration knew we would. Meanwhile, UF has decided to go all in on climbing the USNWR rankings and they have done it in spectacular fashion.

Reaction Score
As FSU chose to not play the game by being a University with a leaning to fine arts,teacher education, focus upon physician's general practice, etc...

Having a research hospital like Florida or USF attached to the school instead of being legislatively designated as a "Family Practice" focus med school would boost FSU in USNWR a lot....

Choices are made.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What do you mean by a stretch? Carolina, NC State and Duke can see each other for all intents and purposes, Wake is about as far from those 3 as UMass from UConn. The only outlier really is FSU. People from Raleigh-Durham look at Atlanta like people from the northeast look at New York. Close enough from most places to go for a weekend.

Reaction Score
As FSU chose to not play the game by being a University with a leaning to fine arts,teacher education, focus upon physician's general practice, etc...

Having a research hospital like Florida or USF attached to the school instead of being legislatively designated as a "Family Practice" focus med school would boost FSU in USNWR a lot....

Choices are made.....
I can understand it at FSU. The two flagships in FL have different priorities and it makes sense for FSU to differentiate from UF. However, CT has only one flagship and I prefer we chase very high rankings. My reasoning isn’t superficial. We need to get the best students and wealthy students to get big donations long term. That is easier with very high rankings and prestige Donations will secure the future.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by a stretch? Carolina, NC State and Duke can see each other for all intents and purposes, Wake is about as far from those 3 as UMass from UConn. The only outlier really is FSU. People from Raleigh-Durham look at Atlanta like people from the northeast look at New York. Close enough from most places to go for a weekend.

Storrs to Raleigh is about the same as Storrs to Columbus, Ohio.....a 20 hour round trip drive. Having a group of conference opponents that far away makes for the "stretch"........sometimes, if a fanbase is dispursed in a state, a rivalry works even if not that close by miles...FSU is almost 500 miles from Miami and that works.....Raleigh is about 70 miles further away..

But, I know that Nole fans have never warmed up to having BC and Cuse on the yearly schedule....

Reaction Score
How the world turns...now, getting an athletic shoe for showing up at a sports shoe outlet is laughable...in this day of million dollar NIL's, Miami paying everybody $50,000 as a starter, and other money flowing directly to the paid athlete.

But 25 years ago, that was big stuff.

OMG..an Ohio State player got free tattoos....probationized those unlucky SOB's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom