Beyond The Beat BY version [Direct Link Included] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Beyond The Beat BY version [Direct Link Included]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just now (Friday night) getting to watch, and really enjoyed the program. I think you guys did a fantastic job of representing not only the Boneyard but fans of UConn Women's Basketball in general. You came across as intelligent and willing to engage the journalists in the highest level of serious discourse about the sport. In some ways, you were more articulate about matters than the reporters were.

Still, I'm just a little amazed at the premise of the show, which I take to be this: Three guys who work for companies that buy their ink by the barrel (or the broadcast equivalent) call out a bunch of amateur "experts" and just plain fans because they on occasion make rowdy and irresponsible comments about sports and said guys and -- ohmygawd -- do it anonymously.

I can appreciate why Joe Zone would be sensitive about stuff said by someone on some board (not this one, it seems) claiming he did immoral things. I can understand why DiMauro would complain about being called a scumbag (which I guess happened on our board). But they are the people who GET PAID to do what is often the best job in the world, watching things and telling people stories about what they saw. They put their name on everything they write. While IMHO we all can agree that it would be better if BYers kept their slurs our of the personal realm, I found it unsettling that Zone felt the need to express the hope that BYers would take a cue from the two representatives who appeared on the program and keep the discourse civil, as if it were an unruly class 12-year-olds, which it generally is not.

What we have here is reporters who are used to living in their own world, which generally consists of them, their colleagues and the subjects they cover. They were not cognizant of what fans go through to get to a game (as a poster mentioned earlier). It seems to em they also were not cognizant -- until much later than many folks -- of the ways the media were changing around them. Their attitudes, as expressed in this program, demonstrate that they only now are figuring out that significant portions of the audience -- THEIR audience -- get and act on credible information from non-traditional media sources. Their grudging acceptance of the legitimacy of the Boneyard is, IMHO, proof of this.

As a matter of record this comes from someone who spent 18 years in the media, 11 in print elsewhere in New England and seven in Hartford TV.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Great job, Diggerfoot and DoggyDaddy! Thanks for representing the board in such a positive fashion...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
rocky rococo said:
Question: Is there somewhere a link to view this program online (YouTube, etc.)?
The direct link is in the second post of this thread

Reaction Score
I agree with Tomcat. I thought these guys were way too sensitive about a few over-the-top comments. I'm sure there are worse things posted on their own sites.

Reaction Score
Digger and doggyd --I thought you guys were fantastic. A pleasure to listen to. Great comeback with the potential EDD sellouts DoggyD. Don't want to get into it, but there would be other reasons why more people would have attended UCONN games to see EDD other than the suggestion of race.

Reaction Score
Great job, Diggerfoot and DoggyDaddy! You were real pros and represented "The Yard" with dignity. I enjoyed watching the show and cheered your efforts throughout!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Great representation of the BY. Given how well you guys represented us, maybe this will happen again. You both seemed very comfortable in fron of the cameras.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Okay, that was entertaining. Demauro is a wimp. Jacobs is pretty funny and I have always liked him. He can't rip Peter Karmanos enough. And loved that topic about race. Great to hear the reporters voice an opinion there.

Great job to dd and diggerfoot. dd, loved the 'moron' reference!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Okay, that was entertaining. Demauro is a wimp. Jacobs is pretty funny and I have always liked him. He can't rip Peter Karmanos enough. And loved that topic about race. Great to hear the reporters voice an opinion there.

Great job to dd and diggerfoot. dd, loved the 'moron' reference!

Finally, someone recognizes the MORON reference.

Figures it would be an old timer, satin pants.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Finally, someone recognizes the MORON reference.

Figures it would be an old timer, satin pants.
As a recipient of a few m-bombs I was WAITING for the reference. Excellent job all around. I would have told the guys "Look, there are maybe 1000 Yarders. You have issues with maybe 20? The rest are good folk."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to be late to the party, but I just watched the video...

Wow! Hard to imagine two more thoughtful reasonable guys. It is very easy thing to be distracted or self conscious, yet you guys looked like old pros. Just a job well done. I could not be more proud or impressed.

Reaction Score
First time visiting the women's board, but just wanted to say thanks for being great representatives of this board and Uconn fans!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I beg to differ...it was the director!
No doubt about it!

Harriet, this is the 2nd most watched Beyond the Beat shot, behind the Dolson show.

1 - Dolson
2 - Boneyard
3 - Diaco
4 - mention of Boneyard show

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you could just get rid of Joe, Jeff and Mike it would be a hit!

You could call it the Doggy and Digger show.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you could just get rid of Joe, Jeff and Mike it would be a hit!

You could call it the Doggy and Digger show.
No, but how about "Inside The Boneyard". We would host and bring on different posters every week.

We can talk about the most popular threads and Uconn sports.

Harriet, you reading? Want to produce the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom