Beyond The Beat BY version [Direct Link Included] | The Boneyard

Beyond The Beat BY version [Direct Link Included]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good job, DD and digger. Still don't think the "dumb" comment deserved a response but do understand the desire to present the board members' true selves.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again, good job guys. Enjoyed watching you. Great lunch too doggy.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. Very well spoken. Great job DD & Digger! Nice to put a face to a profile.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let me join the chorus guys, very nice job - hit just the right tone to diffuse the early combative tone of Jeff, whose early demeanor surprised me. At some point it could make an interesting segment to address some specific issue, with you two carrying in the viewpoints of the Yard Barkers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How did I not get called out with all the crazy s*** I have posted? I need to raise my game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Good job....and might I add that you two were well spoken. So it seems you two could write and speak.

As far as the issue of anonymity they get paid to write or speak the news, BY posters don't.

But you did us proud!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Good job, DD. Still don't think the "dumb" comment deserved a response but do understand the desire to present the board members' true selves.
The "dumb" comment was a minor issue for me. I just wanted to get on TV...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this as I forgot to set the DVR. I thought our guys were great, looked very natural in front of the camera.

Though a few of his columns made me wince over the years, I've always liked Jacobs and I thought he did a nice job here.

Toldja it would be a lovefest.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let me join the chorus guys, very nice job - hit just the right tone to diffuse the early combative tone of Jeff, whose early demeanor surprised me.

I liked the fact that Jacobs rightly called out some of the nasty crap that people post upfront. That way our guys could address the issue and move on.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this as I forgot to set the DVR. I thought our guys were great, looked very natural in front of the camera.

Though a few of his columns made me wince over the years, I've always liked Jacobs and I thought he did a nice job here.

Toldja it would be a lovefest.
I can tell you that is not what they wanted.

They came out swinging and expected us to defend the comments made about them. Since we didn't make them, we didn't defend them. We stayed calm and changed the tone to the "love fest" you saw.

I told Jacobs that 5 years ago I vowed to never read his articles again. I did go back on that vow. And now after meeting him, I read his column a little differently. He was a nice guy in person and off the camera. As was DiMauro.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really really good! You did us very proud!
One thought I had in watching this was the distinction between individuals and crowds and between a specific 'piece' or discussion, and a body of work. It gets to the 'volume' issue they discuss as well. To explain myself:
If you read the boneyard in depth over time you find a lot of really good meat - facts, figures, and insightful commentary (good point Digger!) and the tone is reasonable and respectful or others opinions.
If you look at a particular thread the same is generally true.
But if you look at each individual post you find a few really stupid posts, a few nasty post, some disrespectful posts.
This means that you can if you chose focus on the individual posts and condemn the forum as a place where people can anonymously post bad things or stupid things - and this would be the tendency if you were personally the subject of some of those posts. or you can focus on the body of work and say the forum is a great source of information and provocative discussions.
The same analogy works for any 'crowd' and there is a whole branch of academic discourse into 'crowd mentality and behavior'. And that is not virtual but in person activity. Any sporting venue in the world is made up of 95+% decent respectful people and yet everyone has experienced truly boorish behavior in those types of crowds and a whole nation's fandom can be stigmatized by that 1% as in 'English football hooligans'.
And for these writers and sportscasters the same is true - you can look at the body of work and say ... intelligent, insightful, informative, or you can pick and chose their worst columns and say, boneheaded, ignorant, misguided. And the same for their community as a whole. And while we are invested in our team and may take offense at slights or perceived insults, that investment is not as great as it would be if we were personally the subject of the 'slander'.
So ... I can understand these guys being a little more impacted by the negative posts because they are 'personal' than maybe I did before watching this. But, I still find it strange that they don't recognize that their choice of profession by its nature comes with that personal exposure. Getting a 'byline' is a step up in their career and comes with more job security, but also with public exposure. And the internet did not start this but is a written version of what has been going on for years on radio call-in shows some of which seem to be devoted to discussion of media personalities more that the sports teams they cover.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good job, DD and digger. Still don't think the "dumb" comment deserved a response but do understand the desire to present the board members' true selves.
I actually think it made a good point to bring it up - it is a generalization of a community based on a very select number of posts. And a community I might add that he finds to be a good source for ideas for his own columns. Does that make his columns then dumb too?
Calling the boneyard posters dumb was exactly the same kind of statement he is complaining about when the consensus on the boneyard is that one of his columns was dumb.
(And his column was 'dumb' in that he used exclusively offensive statistics to make his point forgetting that Uconn's strength and ND's relative weakness is defensive.:rolleyes:)

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching that. Kudos to Joe Zone for engaging The Boneyard on his show and a nice job by the Boneyarders.

Reaction Score
This was a great show, guys. You were both quite gentlemanly in your comments and questions. Thanks for representing us so well.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I can tell you that is not what they wanted.

They came out swinging and expected us to defend the comments made about them. Since we didn't make them, we didn't defend them. We stayed calm and changed the tone to the "love fest" you saw.

I told Jacobs that 5 years ago I vowed to never read his articles again. I did go back on that vow. And now after meeting him, I read his column a little differently. He was a nice guy in person and off the camera. As was DiMauro.

Well done you and digger. And smartly done as well. Thank you for the exemplary representation of the BY (Loved the shout out about Kib)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also - that final discussion on the reason for attendance drops. That 'source' probably should be fired if that is a direct quote as claimed - sort of depressing to know they are still employed at Uconn and with that attitude and snarkiness I wouldn't be surprised if they had an old guard sexist attitude as well as in how dare the WCBB team have better attendance than the MCBB team!
And while I wouldn't be expecting serious investigative work on a weekly sports column, if I remember it correctly it was almost entirely predicated on not enough wasps on the team and really no discussion of the other possible reasons - like the highest ticket prices in WCBB, expensive parking rates, and high quality TV for all home games, and probably most importantly a laziness and complacency by that same athletic department towards their fan base. They just assumed ticket and parking fees could go up and up, no improvements needed to be made to the experience, and fans would still be begging for the chance to buy tickets. That would have been an interesting and provocative article. Add in a bit about an aging core of fans and no attempt to really promote to a new generation ...
The contention that EDD would have brought back sell-outs is I think bogus - not sure you could have found a better face for the program than Maya and she didn't, Breanna as you mention and Stef are the new faces and the sell outs haven't returned. The biggest draws nationally and at their local venues recently have probably been Skylar and Shonni neither of whom fall into the WASP narrative and at Uconn probably the darling of the fan base right now is Moriah.
And I just realized that 'Sisters' comment occurred 5 years before and 100 sell-outs before the attendance 'tanked' as it referred to the TASSK force class of 1998 - so the source for that quote was obviously dead wrong on that score.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Very interesting and the BY was well represented. I've always liked Jacobs, I used to really enjoy the live football game chats with him. The thing I think these guys are missing though is that the BY is more akin to a playground or a bar than it is to corporate media under a masthead or over a logo. We have standards for civility and accountability but they are considerably lower than what these guys are used to. If one of them walked into a bar looking for a story, they'd probably know it was wise to avoid the loud drunk in the corner. I think they expect the boneyard to engage them on the terms they are accustomed to. Some of us may choose to do so, but it's not a reasonable expectation and they really have no cause to call any of us out when it doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
Boneyard as usual were the smartest people in the room. Great job

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The Boneyard reps were the best spoken of the group; proud of you...and I don't mean this as disparaging to the commentators. But they sometimes got stuck on trivia. You guys were pros and tried to focus on important issues with the game.

Reaction Score
Finally got the opportunity to watch the show. Well done by all involved. Even though many of the comments posted here after DiMauro made his original "dumb" comment were of the "give'em hell Harry" type this show turned into a love fest. I would love to see more shows where UConn women's basketball is discussed in depth. Both DiMauro and Jacobs have more sources within the program than the majority of Boneyarders and I would love to here their thoughts other than those in print.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Boneyard as usual were the smartest people in the room. Great job

I was thinking that too.
Almost as if there were a reversal in roles
With our guys being the grownups.

Doggy, you seemed altogether so reasonable and persuasive.
It made me almost forget some of the arrows, that I'm still pulling out of my pin cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom