OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 271 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I recently did a NH pizza tour with a few friends. One afternoon, all 4 of the main spots in a row- Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Bar. In that order. From each place we ordered one cheese/tomato pie, and one specialty recommended by each place.

Here were my ratings out of 10.

Bar- 9.4
Pepe's- 9.3
Modern- 8.6
Sally's- 8.1

Bar had a lobster pizza. $36 for a small. But it blew my balls off. The tomato pie was outstanding as well. That was my third time there and it lived up to the hype each time. Nevermind the great atmosphere there, the pizza holds up big time. Bar might be my favorite pizza restaurant in the world. We also saw Dan Patrick at the bar. And then Anderson Cooper at a cafe the next morning.

I said that Bar was better than anything I had in Italy to a native Italian girl a few weeks ago and she thought I was insane and just laughed.

Sally's was the biggest surprise- underwhelming. I went there a couple times before and was underwhelmed. Still very good pizza, just doesn't hold a torch to the other 3 IMO.
Modern surprised me- really loved it. A bit different style from the other 3. More of a classic American pizza parlor.
Pepe's clam and fresh tomato pie were both outstanding. I had been to other Pepe's locations around the state (Mohegan, Manchester) and was very disappointed. The New Haven one is just far superior.

Reaction Score
I recently did a NH pizza tour with a few friends. One afternoon, all 4 of the main spots in a row- Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Bar. In that order. From each place we ordered one cheese/tomato pie, and one specialty recommended by each place.

Bar- 9.4
Pepe's- 9.3
Modern- 8.6
Sally's- 8.1

Bar had a lobster pizza. $36 for a small. But it blew my balls off. The tomato pie was outstanding as well. That was my third time there and it lived up to the hype each time. Nevermind the great atmosphere there, the pizza holds up big time. Bar might be my favorite pizza restaurant in the world. We also saw Dan Patrick at the bar. And then Anderson Cooper at a cafe the next morning.

I said that Bar was better than anything I had in Italy to a native Italian girl a few weeks ago and she thought I was insane and just laughed.

Sally's was the biggest surprise- underwhelming. I went there a couple times before and was underwhelmed. Still very good pizza, just doesn't hold a torch to the other 3 IMO.
Modern surprised me- really loved it. A bit different style from the other 3. More of a classic American pizza parlor.
Pepe's clam and fresh tomato pie were both outstanding. I had been to other Pepe's locations around the state (Mohegan, Manchester) and was very disappointed. The New Haven one is just far superior.
Life long New Havener here. bar is definitely better than the rest. Hands down. But Bufalina in Guilford beats them all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Looks like I’ll be dropping $700 in the not too distant future lol
Get your dough game on point. Hardest part of pizza making is getting the dough right. If you have that, the ooni will do just fine for you, and even more than fine, if you don’t you could have a replica of a Wooster St oven and turn out dreck.

Reaction Score
Looks like I’ll be dropping $700 in the not too distant future lol
I bought a baking steel for the oven. Put the oven on 500 for an hour to heat itself and the steel and slide the pizza directly on the steel. 8 or 9 minutes later donezo. I usually throw the broiler on for the last 2 or 3 minutes. Summer, the ooni is much for fun just to be outside on a summer evening with a beer or four

August_West

Reaction Score
I bought a baking steel for the oven. Put the oven on 500 for an hour to heat itself and the steel and slide the pizza directly on the steel. 8 or 9 minutes later donezo. I usually throw the broiler on for the last 2 or 3 minutes. Summer, the ooni is much for fun just to be outside on a summer evening with a beer or four

Steel> Stone indoors. Way better. good job.

Rocko lives in San Diego he will get year round Ooni use.

Reaction Score

Bar- 9.4
Pepe's- 9.3
Modern- 8.6
Sally's- 8.1

My son and 3 of his pizza loving friends did this last summer and their ranking was the exact opposite of yours. FWIW.

Reaction Score
Steel> Stone indoors. Way better. good job.

Rocko lives in San Diego he will get year round Ooni use.
Not much longer actually, my girl and I are moving back to the northeast some time this summer in all likelihood.

You figure the baking steel is a better way to go if I’m back in CT/MA?

August_West

Reaction Score
Not much longer actually, my girl and I are moving back to the northeast some time this summer in all likelihood.

You figure the baking steel is a better way to go if I’m back in CT/MA?

Nah, its Ok to have both! Steel is just for your regular oven. Ooni gets hotter like a real pizza oven. Its a nice outdoor activity during the good weather months.

Reaction Score
Nah, its Ok to have both! Steel is just for your regular oven. Ooni gets hotter like a real pizza oven. Its a nice outdoor activity during the good weather months.
That’s what I figure. No reason to not use them indoor too, right? Because I obviously worry about winter weather damage

When I have kids I want them making their own pizzas and then open the next great pizza joint and I can retire early

August_West

Reaction Score
That’s what I figure. No reason to not use them indoor too, right? Because I obviously worry about winter weather damage

When I have kids I want them making their own pizzas and then open the next great pizza joint and I can retire early

Na you dont want to do that. Maybe in a garage with an open door or something if you must, but just put it away for the winter and keep practicing your dough chops using a steel to get ready for good weather again.

Reaction Score
Na you dont want to do that. Maybe in a garage with an open door or something if you must, but just put it away for the winter and keep practicing your dough chops using a steel to get ready for good weather again.
Yeah I figured I would need good ventilation like the garage as you said but this is good to know. I totally hear you on the dough being the most important part. It’s chemistry and time. I follow a few extremely serious pizza spots on a food-focused IG account lol and I get frequent views into the process

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My son and 3 of his pizza loving friends did this last summer and their ranking was the exact opposite of yours. FWIW.
My most recent 2 visits with out of town guests to each of those 4 prompted, "Best pizza I've ever had" at least 50% of the time. Didn't matter to me if I felt that way myself.

I try to match my guests with where I think they'll most enjoy themselves. And I've gotten comparable raves (though not necessarily "Best ever") from CT-based first-timers with Olde World, Zuppardi's, and Ernie's takeout, as well as dine-in at Zeneli from the one person who thought Wooster Street Pepe's was meh.

My guests at Modern were a Burbank, California husband & wife who gave "best ever" to his Bomb and her gluten-free. The trip to BAR was because my friend wanted to shoot pool, though he didn't. He entered a complete skeptic on mashed potato & bacon , and loved it, and I can't recall which red pie I chose, but it exceeded my expectations by being every bit as good as my fondest memories from when it first opened.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Get your dough game on point. Hardest part of pizza making is getting the dough right. If you have that, the ooni will do just fine for you, and even more than fine, if you don’t you could have a replica of a Wooster St oven and turn out dreck.
IOW, buy a good digital scale. Do not measure by eye when figuring out hydration.

August_West

Reaction Score
IOW, buy a good digital scale. Do not measure by eye when figuring out hydration.
You get it. Hydration is everything.

BTW Kenji's hydration is too high.

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but are those Ooni pizza ovens legit?

I have had the Ooni Pro for about 4 years and it is great. I never use the propane or wood pellet attachment but coal fire it. Aim for 700 deg on the deck and good to go.

Get another steel. Set your steels up with one in the top third and the second in the bottom third. Put your oven as hot as it can, min of 500 and preheat for 1 hour. Use the top steel for about 6 minutes, then move to the bottom steel to finish it off. Or if your steel is big enough move the pizza to a different spot so it is always in contact with the hottest the steel can be.

Another trick I have learned when using the oven is to preheat the oven then switch it to broil when you load the pizza and cook it for about a minute and half, rotate and return to top steel for another minute and a half. Finish it on the bottom steel for 30 sec to 1 min. This is the best way to mimic a wood fired oven indoors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ll add to the ooni conversation that it works best with dry ingredients; heavy, moisture filled toppings like fresh tomatoes, ricotta, etc just don’t do great and make even cooking and removal a pain

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I actually used pellet stove venting to attach to the top of my Ooni to extend out from underneath a covered deck. Use the Ooni in all weather year round.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, that's the way I would rate it.

Used to love Pepe's. But I've had bad experiences lately. Sally's never fails me. I'd squeeze in Zuppardi's between Sally's and Modern.

Reaction Score
Yep, that's the way I would rate it.

Used to love Pepe's. But I've had bad experiences lately. Sally's never fails me. I'd squeeze in Zuppardi's between Sally's and Modern.
I’ve had them all, and Zupp’s is still my favorite. The flavor, taste, texture is just off the charts, the homemade fennel/anise sausage chunks, the sauce and the oil they drizzle on it is pizza heaven. Second, I’d say Modern and then Bar. Pepe’s and Sally’s I steer clear of nowadays. Still haven’t tried Bufalina, it’s on my to do list. If I’m in the mood for a clam pie, again Zupp’s is the place.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Bar- 9.4
Pepe's- 9.3
Modern- 8.6
Sally's- 8.1

Sorry to hear about your balls.

Surprised Bar landed above the three classics. I know of a couple spots who are on the same level, but Bar?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone here try Frisco's Pizza in New Haven?

On Forbes Avenue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom