Best golf course in each state | The Boneyard

Best golf course in each state

Reaction Score
I saw this article and had to laugh. Check out Connecticut's. This one is for @Deepster.

Reaction Score
I always wonder how these lists are created. Yelp reviews (or golf equivalent)?

Reaction Score
Damn if I was younger, for shites and giggles I would have made a 4 year bucket list. But nowadays I'm too old to be chasing holes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is a list of public courses. No idea if accurate on that basis.

Reaction Score
I saw this article and had to laugh. Check out Connecticut's. This one is for @Deepster.

I really like Crumpin-Fox (Mass), and I like Keney, but neither fits with PGA-tour courses listed from other states.

Reaction Score
I played. many of AZ golf course
and had friends tell me about or read about others but I never heard of or paid attention to Wickenburg Golf course.
That’s in the middle of nowhere so it’s not surprising.
From my friends who played a lot of courses . We -Ka- Pa
Seems to be consensus number 1 public I never got to play it
My favorite were Troon North Monument Scottsdale
*Dinosaur ( gold Canyon)
Sedona Golf Resort ( elevation change is extreme)
*Superstition mountain Gold Canyon
Upper course
Wild Horse Pass ( Pima Res )
Posten Butte ( Florence)

* I believe these are now private

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I get that email every morning. I think they hit on something decent 15% of the time. 80% of it seems like lazy content. 5% of it is repeats. Yesterday was a good example: Quirkiest cities in US. I'm expecting some new knowledge and decently thorough list. Then their list is comprised of only the top 5 major cities that would've come to mind anyway (Austin, Portland, Santa Fe, SF, New Orleans).

The inclusion of Mauna Kea reminds me of my wife bitching about playing there. She's just shot her umpteenth wayward shot and was complaining about trying to play around lava rock. I looked at her and simply said, "Once we go back home, you're going to realize that being somewhere where you complain about golfing around lava rock will be in the top 10 experiences of your life."

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to play a lot of great courses throughout the US. Based on that experience alone, this list is total Bull Pucky. It's impossible to put a list like this together and not consider The Country Club (MA), Stanwich, Yale, or Fairfield (CT), Pinehurst #2 (NC), The Ocean Course (SC), Congressional (MD), Oakmont (PA), Cypress Point or Pebble (CA), Inverness (OH), Augusta (GA), Sawgrass or Seminole (FL), the list goes on and on. The only ones on this list that MIGHT be considered are Cog Hill, Bandon Dunes, and the Greenbriar. Pure rubbish.

Reaction Score
Although not by state, this is a much better list IMO. Any list that doesn’t have a course from the Monterrey Peninsula as top public course in Ca is suspect.

Top 100

Reaction Score
I played. many of AZ golf course
and had friends tell me about or read about others but I never heard of or paid attention to Wickenburg Golf course.
That’s in the middle of nowhere so it’s not surprising.
From my friends who played a lot of courses . We -Ka- Pa
Seems to be consensus number 1 public I never got to play it
My favorite were Troon North Monument Scottsdale
*Dinosaur ( gold Canyon)
Sedona Golf Resort ( elevation change is extreme)
*Superstition mountain Gold Canyon
Upper course
Wild Horse Pass ( Pima Res )
Posten Butte ( Florence)

* I believe these are now private
Dinosaur and Superstition are private

Reaction Score
I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to play a lot of great courses throughout the US. Based on that experience alone, this list is total Bull Pucky. It's impossible to put a list like this together and not consider The Country Club (MA), Stanwich, Yale, or Fairfield (CT), Pinehurst #2 (NC), The Ocean Course (SC), Congressional (MD), Oakmont (PA), Cypress Point or Pebble (CA), Inverness (OH), Augusta (GA), Sawgrass or Seminole (FL), the list goes on and on. The only ones on this list that MIGHT be considered are Cog Hill, Bandon Dunes, and the Greenbriar. Pure rubbish.
It said "open to the PUBLIC". Much of your list is private. Some is VERY private.

Reaction Score
I always wonder how these lists are created. Yelp reviews (or golf equivalent)?
My wife is a writer, there are a lot of desperate writers out there. There are message boards with specs for articles and they go to the lowest bidder to write, no qualifications needed. Too many sites looking for cheap content.

Reaction Score
I have played Stanwich, Peeble and Cypress and I agree with your comments. I grew up at YGC,, caddied, greens crew and played, If Yale took care of the course it would return to its deserved reputation- maybe the school is short of cash :)

Reaction Score
Less golf more reading

Reaction Score
Dinosaur and Superstition are private
I though so in the Market Crash 2008-10
They were briefly public
My cronies and I had tourneys at both . My partner and I were low net at one. I think I was around a 16 at the time and shot an 82.
Sandbagger was my name for awhile
Million $ houses were empty an allegedly being short saled at half price .
A couple of my friends inquired about offers but we’re put off.

Reaction Score
Lol @ Kampen. Solid course, but that’s not the best in Indiana and probably not even the best at Purdump now. Any high end private course is in better shape too lol..

Pfau @ IU, Dye French Lick, Sycamore Hills, Crooked Stick, Victoria Nat’l, Brickyard, Sagamore, The Fort are all better courses. Best of all doesn’t exist anymore unfortunately (Wolf Run)

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Keney and Wintonbury both regularly garner praise. I play both at least once per year, and they are two of my faves in the Hartford/Springfield area.

Reaction Score
My wife is a writer, there are a lot of desperate writers out there. There are message boards with specs for articles and they go to the lowest bidder to write, no qualifications needed. Too many sites looking for cheap content.
Maybe a good side gig. sorta like posting on Boneyard. Except we'd make a bit of $$.

Reaction Score
I though so in the Market Crash 2008-10
They were briefly public
My cronies and I had tourneys at both . My partner and I were low net at one. I think I was around a 16 at the time and shot an 82.
Sandbagger was my name for awhile
Million $ houses were empty an allegedly being short saled at half price .
A couple of my friends inquired about offers but we’re put off.

Reaction Score
One is an absolutes yes, and the other an absolute no.
I'm thinking maybe Shenny is not on your list. The time to play is just before the CSGA Senior Open, which they play there a lot, they let the fescue rise up to two-three feet and gives the course a great look and feel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom